Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > LAN connection lost after re-booting XP Pro

Reply
Thread Tools

LAN connection lost after re-booting XP Pro

 
 
T.L.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-30-2008
Scenario: Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop - re-loaded XP Pro, service pack 2 - had
to get Dell's help to re-load Drivers, in correct sequence - now, this
computer will not connect to the LAN, (3 other computers and server, thru 16
port hub - the other 3 computers work fine - did NOT re-load them, so
original config from Dell) - I can ping the server, but not any of the other
3 computers - cannot 'see' the network to find the printers attached to the
server - also, even tho the ping to the server indicates fast ping (<1ms),
the one program I can access at the server is extremely slow now, takes ~ 30
seconds to retrieve information from server, whereas before, immediate
retrieval - also, had to use the server's IP address to access, since I
cannot see the 'workgroup' sb-dc1 (used to access this server's program via
the sb-dc1 workgroup path - the other 3 computers use the sb-dc1 'path') --
HELP --- thanks, T.L.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Tony Sperling
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-30-2008
First thing I can think of is to start up Windows, find your system CD (the
one that came with the Motherboard/PC) and install the parts you are
missing - if it is a VIA chipset, it is probably the VIA4INONE?


Tony. . .


"T.L." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Scenario: Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop - re-loaded XP Pro, service pack 2 -
> had
> to get Dell's help to re-load Drivers, in correct sequence - now, this
> computer will not connect to the LAN, (3 other computers and server, thru
> 16
> port hub - the other 3 computers work fine - did NOT re-load them, so
> original config from Dell) - I can ping the server, but not any of the
> other
> 3 computers - cannot 'see' the network to find the printers attached to
> the
> server - also, even tho the ping to the server indicates fast ping (<1ms),
> the one program I can access at the server is extremely slow now, takes ~
> 30
> seconds to retrieve information from server, whereas before, immediate
> retrieval - also, had to use the server's IP address to access, since I
> cannot see the 'workgroup' sb-dc1 (used to access this server's program
> via
> the sb-dc1 workgroup path - the other 3 computers use the sb-dc1
> 'path') --
> HELP --- thanks, T.L.



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
T.L.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-07-2008
hello Tony,

Thanks for the reponse - but I could not find the VIA chipset on the Dell CD.

Q - why is it that I can ping the server, AND get access to one of it's
programs, but cannot 'see' nor ping the printers physically attached to the
server, nor the other computers that are LANed to it ?

thanks

T.L.

"Tony Sperling" wrote:

> First thing I can think of is to start up Windows, find your system CD (the
> one that came with the Motherboard/PC) and install the parts you are
> missing - if it is a VIA chipset, it is probably the VIA4INONE?
>
>
> Tony. . .
>
>
> "T.L." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Scenario: Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop - re-loaded XP Pro, service pack 2 -
> > had
> > to get Dell's help to re-load Drivers, in correct sequence - now, this
> > computer will not connect to the LAN, (3 other computers and server, thru
> > 16
> > port hub - the other 3 computers work fine - did NOT re-load them, so
> > original config from Dell) - I can ping the server, but not any of the
> > other
> > 3 computers - cannot 'see' the network to find the printers attached to
> > the
> > server - also, even tho the ping to the server indicates fast ping (<1ms),
> > the one program I can access at the server is extremely slow now, takes ~
> > 30
> > seconds to retrieve information from server, whereas before, immediate
> > retrieval - also, had to use the server's IP address to access, since I
> > cannot see the 'workgroup' sb-dc1 (used to access this server's program
> > via
> > the sb-dc1 workgroup path - the other 3 computers use the sb-dc1
> > 'path') --
> > HELP --- thanks, T.L.

>
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
R.B.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-10-2008
T.L. wrote:
>
> Q - why is it that I can ping the server, AND get access to one of it's
> programs, but cannot 'see' nor ping the printers physically attached to the
> server, nor the other computers that are LANed to it ?
>


Do you have a firewall? Check its settings (Windows firewall can be
accessed through control panel, or through network connection properties).
 
Reply With Quote
 
T.L.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-12-2008
hello R.B.,

YES I have already removed the firewall - I have a checklist of about 20
things to do, and done all of them to no avail.

I don't understand why I can ping the server, and not the printers ??

AND, before I re-booted, the connection to the server was fast (1 gb), now
it takes 30 seconds to access some programs, still thru the 1 GB LAN, and the
icon in the toolbar says it is operating at 1GB.

I had to make a 'path' directly to the server's IP address, cause I can't
get access to the 'workgroup' path.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

regards

T.L.

"R.B." wrote:

> T.L. wrote:
> >
> > Q - why is it that I can ping the server, AND get access to one of it's
> > programs, but cannot 'see' nor ping the printers physically attached to the
> > server, nor the other computers that are LANed to it ?
> >

>
> Do you have a firewall? Check its settings (Windows firewall can be
> accessed through control panel, or through network connection properties).
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VPN 3005 Error updating group for LAN-to-LAN connection (Too Many Entries Error. Delete an entry before adding a new one). Jan Cisco 1 08-26-2006 04:56 AM
Lan to Lan VPN connection but no traffic ruud Cisco 0 06-29-2006 01:29 PM
ISDN lan-to-lan connection Zarados Cisco 0 02-27-2004 04:19 PM
Help! Lost LAN connection Susan Lam Computer Support 3 11-19-2003 08:09 PM



Advertisments