Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > gateway not resetting

gateway not resetting

Dwight

I have a laptop with Windows XP. At work I have a wireless connection
and at home. When I take the laptop home it finds the network and I can
access the intenet. When I go back to work, I find the network, but no
internet. Looking at ipconfig, the gateway and dns is still from home.
If I run ipconfig /renew all is fine.

The only time I have a problem is when I come back to work. What do I
need to do so I don't have to run ipconfig all the time?

Thanks
Dwight

Peter Bui[MS]

That fact that running ipconfig /renew indicates the DHCP client is not
being instructed to renew its address when you transition from your home
network to the network at your place of work. Usually, when you transition
from 1 wireless network to another the wireless service will issue a DHCP IP
address renewal. Is it possible your home network and work network have the
same name?

"Dwight" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I have a laptop with Windows XP. At work I have a wireless connection
> and at home. When I take the laptop home it finds the network and I can
> access the intenet. When I go back to work, I find the network, but no
> internet. Looking at ipconfig, the gateway and dns is still from home.
> If I run ipconfig /renew all is fine.
>
> The only time I have a problem is when I come back to work. What do I
> need to do so I don't have to run ipconfig all the time?
>
> Thanks
> Dwight

Dwight

Peter Bui[MS] wrote:
> That fact that running ipconfig /renew indicates the DHCP client is

not
> being instructed to renew its address when you transition from your

home
> network to the network at your place of work. Usually, when you

transition
> from 1 wireless network to another the wireless service will issue a

DHCP IP
> address renewal. Is it possible your home network and work network

have the
> same name?

Not the same name, but the router is the same ip. Maybe if I switch the
work to the 10.0.0.0, subnet that might work.