Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > WPA doesn't work with windows, please help

WPA doesn't work with windows, please help

kramer31

Hi. I have run WPA for a while now and usually don't have two many
problems. I have a Windows XP SP2 Laptop and a Macbook (OS X 10.5).
The Mac connects just fine, but the Windows machine doesn't even
though I have configured each to use the same WPA key (pre shared
key). The router is configured to use WPA/WPA2 (i.e. either), but my
windows laptop will not connect regardless. Incidentally, one of my
roommates has a vista laptop and she can't connect either.

Does anyone have any ideas about this?

Thanks.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
There is No either, if it is WPA2, and the laptop can not do WPA2 it would
not work.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"kramer31" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi. I have run WPA for a while now and usually don't have two many
> problems. I have a Windows XP SP2 Laptop and a Macbook (OS X 10.5).
> The Mac connects just fine, but the Windows machine doesn't even
> though I have configured each to use the same WPA key (pre shared
> key). The router is configured to use WPA/WPA2 (i.e. either), but my
> windows laptop will not connect regardless. Incidentally, one of my
> roommates has a vista laptop and she can't connect either.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas about this?
>
> Thanks.

John

"kramer31" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi. I have run WPA for a while now and usually don't have two many
> problems.

Are you sure? I doubt it is WPA. My wild guess is it's WPA2. Check it again.
What's your router brand and model? How is it configured?

> I have a Windows XP SP2 Laptop and a Macbook (OS X 10.5).

WinXP with SP2 isn't WPA2 ready. It needs KB893357 update. You can download
it from:

> The Mac connects just fine, but the Windows machine doesn't even
> though I have configured each to use the same WPA key (pre shared
> key).

Be sure upper/lower case is correct too. Preshared key may be case
sensitive.

> The router is configured to use WPA/WPA2 (i.e. either), but my

Did you mean you've tried both WPA, then WPA2? And both config failed?

> windows laptop will not connect regardless. Incidentally, one of my
> roommates has a vista laptop and she can't connect either.

Vista is WPA2 ready (without an add-on patch). I'm not sure why she can't
connect. Does she have the latest wifi driver on her Vista laptop? Does the
wifi adapter support WPA2?