Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Re: format drive

Re: format drive

Ragnar

"mark pullen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). au...
> when I try To format my drive I get this message "format cannot run
> because
> the volume is in use by another process.format may run if this volume is
> dismounted first all opened handles to this volume would then be invalid
> would you like to force a dismount on this volume Y/N " I answer yes then
> get this message "cannot lock the drive, the volume is still in use" why
> is
> this happening and how could i fix this problem. I am running winxp home
> edition with service pack 2 60gig hard drive 500 meg ram the drive is
> split
> into three partitions of 20g each I hope someone can shed some light,
> thanks
> mark.

Are you trying the format the partition that has Windows installed on it?
If so then you will not be able to dismount the drive. You will have to boot
from your CD Rom and format from there.