Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: reliable power supplies.

Re: reliable power supplies.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarweb "Richard" typed:
> I shut down some machines here before going out since there was the
> incoming storm warnings etc.

I unplugged the PSUs from the wall on most of mine last week when I
discovered that the one I was testing pulled 27W plugged in with the PSU
switch on/computer off and still pulled 16W with the PSU switch off!

> Anyway, now 2 of them are not cooperating with turning on. I strongly
> suspect power supplies since they will turn on with all the drives
> unplugged for a little longer in the case of one of them, and will
> actually get the fans spinning in the other.

Hmmm. Odd. Power supplies do seem the obvious choice though. I hope I don't
have similar problems when I go to turn on my unplugged machines.

> At the moment they are an enermax 500 watt and a no-brander. and I
> have being less then impressed with the enermax considering it had
> problems with 10 hdds and not alot else from new (machine only has 6
> now) - hardly overloaded considering its a P4 1800 and an onboard 32
> meg ati something.

Enermax are usually good. However, 10 HDDs alone all spinning up can easilly
pull 250W or more and that could be overloading certain voltage rails
leaving insuffiecient wattage for the CPU/GPU/RAM...

This is a good, basic guide to PSUs reliability and quality:

http://www.mepislovers.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=12454

Although it's strongly biased towards what's available on the US market. The
last three PSUs I've bought have all been made by AcBel Polytech and I'm
really happy with all of them. Not one problem.

Good luck,
--
Shaun.

me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate...

Craig Shore

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 15:05:03 +1200, "~misfit~"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Somewhere on teh intarweb "Richard" typed:
>> I shut down some machines here before going out since there was the
>> incoming storm warnings etc.

>I unplugged the PSUs from the wall on most of mine last week when I
>discovered that the one I was testing pulled 27W plugged in with the PSU
>switch on/computer off and still pulled 16W with the PSU switch off!
>
>> Anyway, now 2 of them are not cooperating with turning on. I strongly
>> suspect power supplies since they will turn on with all the drives
>> unplugged for a little longer in the case of one of them, and will
>> actually get the fans spinning in the other.

>Hmmm. Odd. Power supplies do seem the obvious choice though. I hope I don't
>have similar problems when I go to turn on my unplugged machines.
>
>> At the moment they are an enermax 500 watt and a no-brander. and I
>> have being less then impressed with the enermax considering it had
>> problems with 10 hdds and not alot else from new (machine only has 6
>> now) - hardly overloaded considering its a P4 1800 and an onboard 32
>> meg ati something.

>Enermax are usually good. However,

Grant from Tastech told me the High Power ones are more reliable than
Enermax,.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarweb "Craig Shore" typed:
> On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 15:05:03 +1200, "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Somewhere on teh intarweb "Richard" typed:
>>> At the moment they are an enermax 500 watt and a no-brander. and I
>>> have being less then impressed with the enermax considering it had
>>> problems with 10 hdds and not alot else from new (machine only has 6
>>> now) - hardly overloaded considering its a P4 1800 and an onboard 32
>>> meg ati something.

>> Enermax are usually good. However,

> Grant from Tastech told me the High Power ones are more reliable than
> Enermax,.

Wow! I find that odd. Perhaps we get poor quaility Enermax PSUs here? I know
that different brands use different makers for different models/markets.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate...

Craig Shore

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 20:19:49 +1200, "~misfit~"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Somewhere on teh intarweb "Craig Shore" typed:
>> On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 15:05:03 +1200, "~misfit~"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Somewhere on teh intarweb "Richard" typed:
>>>
>>> Enermax are usually good. However,

>> Grant from Tastech told me the High Power ones are more reliable than
>> Enermax,.

>Wow! I find that odd. Perhaps we get poor quaility Enermax PSUs here? I know
>that different brands use different makers for different models/markets.

Might not be that the Enermax are poor, it could just be that the High
Power ones are better quality?

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarweb "Craig Shore" typed:
> On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 20:19:49 +1200, "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Somewhere on teh intarweb "Craig Shore" typed:

>>> Grant from Tastech told me the High Power ones are more reliable
>>> than Enermax,.

>> Wow! I find that odd. Perhaps we get poor quaility Enermax PSUs
>> here? I know that different brands use different makers for
>> different models/markets.

> Might not be that the Enermax are poor, it could just be that the High
> Power ones are better quality?

Could be. They're certainly not rubbish. I just didn't think that they were
*that* good.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate...

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarweb "thingy" typed:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Somewhere on teh intarweb "Craig Shore" typed:
>>> Grant from Tastech told me the High Power ones are more reliable
>>> than Enermax,.

>> Wow! I find that odd. Perhaps we get poor quaility Enermax PSUs
>> here? I know that different brands use different makers for
>> different models/markets.

> I wont buy Enermax again myself...

Interesting thanks. Most review sites talk them up and generally give them a
good rap. However, the only one I ever owned failed but, to be fair, I don't
know what caused that. I installed a CPU of unknown condition in the
previously working machine and when I went to start it nothing. On further
testing the CPU, motherboard and PSU were all dead. Probably was the PSU.
<shrug>

Oh well, all good, more data...
--
Shaun.

me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate...

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarweb "thingy" typed:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Somewhere on teh intarweb "thingy" typed:
>>> I wont buy Enermax again myself...

>> Interesting thanks. Most review sites talk them up and generally
>> give them a good rap. However, the only one I ever owned failed but,
>> to be fair, I don't know what caused that. I installed a CPU of
>> unknown condition in the previously working machine and when I went
>> to start it nothing. On further testing the CPU, motherboard and PSU
>> were all dead. Probably was the PSU. <shrug>
>>
>> Oh well, all good, more data...

> I have had a lot of Enermax PSUs over the years, they would seem
> better than no names, however when you take the price premium of
> often double the cost, no they are not IMHO....
>
> At the moment I have Raidmax and Corsair and some un-named...one I had
> to put in my old fileserver as its expensive one had died as a temp
> measure. This second hand no name lasted 18months, not bad considering
> what it replaced was an almost $300 Enermax....which lasted 2.5 years
> from new......
>
> I think there are a lot of over priced PSUs that are sold to gamers at
> silly margins, somewhere there must be a good balance point in terms
> of cost and quality...I am happy with the Corsair, if nothing else I
> have a 5 year warrantee....

That's a big thing in favour of AcBel IMO, a lifetime warranty on components
and workmanship.