Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > 32-bit OEM key with 64-bit media

32-bit OEM key with 64-bit media

Jonathon

"Jonathon" wrote:

> So if I decide to reformat my computer as soon as I get it and install 64-bit
> and use the OEM key on my Dell laptop thats fine?

Its my understanding that Dell's initial install does not actually activate
the product key that ships with the laptop. I don't know how, but thats what
I've heard. It is also my understanding that you cannot "anytime upgrade"
from 32-bit to 64-bit. The issue at hand is that Dell will not give me
64-bit media. I don't want to break the law, but I also don't want to spend
$300 on a retail version. I don't see how installing 64-bit right off the
bat is breaking the law if Home premium 32-bit and Home premium 64-bit cost
the same to begin with.

Charlie Russel - MVP

None of us are, or need to be, apologists for Microsoft. I don't happen to
agree with their licensing in several areas, not the least of it OEM. But
you asked a question and we've tried to give you the most accurate answer we
could. If Dell won't sell that laptop with 64-bit, your issue is with Dell.
Dell has sold you a 32-bit OS, with the hardware that it is assigned to. Why
they won't sell 64-bit with it, I don't know. Possibly because there aren't
drivers for all the hardware on it available, possibly because they don't
want to support it, possibly because the moon is made of green cheese.
Honestly, only Dell can answer that question.

Your cheapest solution is probably to buy a 64-bit OEM copy of Vista. But it
_might_ be to do an anytime upgrade to Ultimate. And then turn around and
order media for 64-bit. I honestly don't know. But I do know that using
other media to move your machine to 64-bit might be technically possible,
but is almost certainly a violation of the license. (With the caveat, of
course, that IANAL.)

--
Charlie.
"Jonathon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Jonathon" wrote:
>
>> So if I decide to reformat my computer as soon as I get it and install
>> 64-bit
>> and use the OEM key on my Dell laptop thats fine?

> Its my understanding that Dell's initial install does not actually
> activate
> the product key that ships with the laptop. I don't know how, but thats
> what
> I've heard. It is also my understanding that you cannot "anytime upgrade"
> from 32-bit to 64-bit. The issue at hand is that Dell will not give me
> 64-bit media. I don't want to break the law, but I also don't want to
> spend
> $300 on a retail version. I don't see how installing 64-bit right off the
> bat is breaking the law if Home premium 32-bit and Home premium 64-bit
> cost
> the same to begin with.

Mark H

First, you need to have 64-bit media.
Second, you should not "format" the computer. There is probably a recovery
partition you will want to keep until you know everything is working.

Make sure you have any Dell specific drivers for x64 on a USB stick or CD
before you start.
Simply install 64-bit media [Home Premium] (Custom) using the OEM key.
(It's easier if you use ABR, but that's up to you. Should you use ABR, you
don't enter the key during install.)
Install drivers and anti-virus.
Perform MS updates.
Then, go through the activation process. You will have to talk to a
representative since the process will fail.
When you read the first six digits, they will recognize that it is OEM
and ask who manufactured the computer... "Dell."
Is it installed on any other computer... "No."
They should give you the activation string.

Later, when you get Anytime Upgrade, it will upgrade to whatever you buy as
64-bit.

"Jonathon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> So if I decide to reformat my computer as soon as I get it and install
> 64-bit
> and use the OEM key on my Dell laptop thats fine?

Jonathon

Well i appreciate all of your help guys. I certainly don't want to get into
any legal trouble. I've tried complaining to Dell but they have either
ignored my emails or given me BS responses. One of the Dell guys actually
told me that MS was releasing an update for Vista that would allow the 32-bit
versions to address 4gb of ram. So... since Dell is dumb and stubborn, I'll
just stick with 32-bit for now. I'll probably be able to address 3.5-3.75gb
which should be plenty. I'll just wait until Dell has better 64-bit support
and then upgrade to Ultimate. Again, thanks for all of your help.

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> None of us are, or need to be, apologists for Microsoft. I don't happen to
> agree with their licensing in several areas, not the least of it OEM. But
> you asked a question and we've tried to give you the most accurate answer we
> could. If Dell won't sell that laptop with 64-bit, your issue is with Dell.
> Dell has sold you a 32-bit OS, with the hardware that it is assigned to. Why
> they won't sell 64-bit with it, I don't know. Possibly because there aren't
> drivers for all the hardware on it available, possibly because they don't
> want to support it, possibly because the moon is made of green cheese.
> Honestly, only Dell can answer that question.
>
> Your cheapest solution is probably to buy a 64-bit OEM copy of Vista. But it
> _might_ be to do an anytime upgrade to Ultimate. And then turn around and
> order media for 64-bit. I honestly don't know. But I do know that using
> other media to move your machine to 64-bit might be technically possible,
> but is almost certainly a violation of the license. (With the caveat, of
> course, that IANAL.)
>
> --
> Charlie.
> "Jonathon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >

> > "Jonathon" wrote:
> >
> >> So if I decide to reformat my computer as soon as I get it and install
> >> 64-bit
> >> and use the OEM key on my Dell laptop thats fine?

> > Its my understanding that Dell's initial install does not actually
> > activate
> > the product key that ships with the laptop. I don't know how, but thats
> > what
> > I've heard. It is also my understanding that you cannot "anytime upgrade"
> > from 32-bit to 64-bit. The issue at hand is that Dell will not give me
> > 64-bit media. I don't want to break the law, but I also don't want to
> > spend
> > $300 on a retail version. I don't see how installing 64-bit right off the
> > bat is breaking the law if Home premium 32-bit and Home premium 64-bit
> > cost
> > the same to begin with.

Mark H

Vendors install Vista using a special key that pre-activates the product
without calling Microsoft. This key and file are locked to your BIOS. If you
move them to another computer, it will report as non-genuine. This key is
not the key on the bottom of your computer which is the actual OEM key that
you purchased with the computer. If you use ABR, you are moving the Dell key
to your re-install. (Which must be the same machine. Allows re-install or
bitness change.) If you use the OEM key on the bottom of the computer, you
will have to "manually" activate by calling the rep and getting the
necessary string. MS doesn't care what bitness is installed, but want to
know it is the only use of the product key and it's on the original machine.

The first method above is only recommend if that is going to be your final
product. If you are planning on upgrading above Home Premium, then
because Dell won't give you the 64-bit media, you will be less troubled in
the future if you simply buy a retail product. Anytime Upgrade is not very
convenient if you ever need to do a re-install down the road. (Must install
the OEM first, activate, then perform the Anytime Upgrade.)

"Jonathon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Jonathon" wrote:
>
>> So if I decide to reformat my computer as soon as I get it and install
>> 64-bit
>> and use the OEM key on my Dell laptop thats fine?

> Its my understanding that Dell's initial install does not actually
> activate
> the product key that ships with the laptop. I don't know how, but thats
> what
> I've heard. It is also my understanding that you cannot "anytime upgrade"
> from 32-bit to 64-bit. The issue at hand is that Dell will not give me
> 64-bit media. I don't want to break the law, but I also don't want to
> spend
> $300 on a retail version. I don't see how installing 64-bit right off the
> bat is breaking the law if Home premium 32-bit and Home premium 64-bit
> cost
> the same to begin with.

Jonathon

So if I want to reformat/reinstall vista 32-bit simply to remove the
bloatware should i use the OEM key on bottom or the ABR key?

Mark H

Either will work.
Again, reformat not required. Do a custom install to the partition where
Vista already resides.

With any OEM install:
Make sure you have specific vendor drivers first.
Make sure you have recovery disks or a recovery partition.