Website status: unreachable

Date: Sat Jul 26 11:58:35 2008
Name:
Status code: 28 - Operation timeout. The specified time-out period was
reached according to the conditions.

Website status: OK

Date: Sat Jul 26 13:39:34 2008
Name:
Status code: 0 - Lucky you, there are no errors to report.

Website status: unreachable

Date: Sat Jul 26 13:51:23 2008
Name:

Date: Sat Jul 26 13:59:25 2008
Name:

Date: Sat Jul 26 15:21:10 2008
Name:
Status code: 7 - Failed to connect to host.

--
Duncan

Tony

Dave Doe wrote:
> Are they taking a hammering from the net? - or from the cyclone?
>
> Hello? - anyone left in Auckland?

Just a bit of rain or wind out the window (Auckland), nothing
spectacular from what I can see.

Fantail

On Jul 26, 2:45*pm, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Are they taking a hammering from the net? - or from the cyclone?

Auckland's just fine, but www.metservice.co.nz has given me overload
messages today, though works 95% at least.

I suggest using the .co.nz URL, it seems to have less trouble.

HTH

Alan

"Fantail" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Jul 26, 2:45 pm, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Are they taking a hammering from the net? - or from the cyclone?

Auckland's just fine, but www.metservice.co.nz has given me
overload
messages today, though works 95% at least.

I suggest using the .co.nz URL, it seems to have less trouble.

HTH

That's interesting.

MetService.com and MetService.co.nz both point to exactly the same
server (202.21.130.180) so I don't see why there would be any
difference.

--

Alan.

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

email address.

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

Squiggle

Bobs wrote:
> Tony wrote:
>> Dave Doe wrote:
>>> Are they taking a hammering from the net? - or from the cyclone?
>>>
>>> Hello? - anyone left in Auckland?

>> Just a bit of rain or wind out the window (Auckland), nothing
>> spectacular from what I can see.

> Blowing a gale in West Auckland - but I've seen worse here. Apparently
> it wont peak until about midnight.

Just got back from visting a rellie in middlemore hosp, a few large
branches off trees and such, but nothing major out that way either.

Tony

> Just got back from visting a rellie in middlemore hosp, a few large
> branches off trees and such, but nothing major out that way either.

Total non event apart from a bit of wind from what I can see in Auckland.

EMB

Mark Robinson wrote:
> Tony wrote:
>>
>>> Just got back from visting a rellie in middlemore hosp, a few large
>>> branches off trees and such, but nothing major out that way either.

>> Total non event apart from a bit of wind from what I can see in Auckland.

> http://incidents.fire.org.nz/Nth20080726.html

I think much of the damage and callouts were a result of the direction
of the wind - the particular ENE direction is fairly rare[1] in
Northland and when even a moderate wind blows from that direction quite
a lot of damage results.

[1] The number of storms from this direction during my lifetime number
less than 10 or so. They are all memorable for the damage they have
caused even when the wind speeds were relatively low.

It is interesting to see from your link that the VFB of which I used to
be a member had probably their busiest day ever yesterday.

EMB

Freesias wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 11:14:50 +1200, Puddle wrote:
>
>> There are lots of large branches down in our neighbourhood and even one
>> big pine tree down , we lost power for 5 hours too .

> Do you still have overhead powerlines?

Very few places don't have overhead local powerlines. And I'm sure that
*all* reticulated electricity in NZ is delivered via overhead lines at
some point.

EMB

Freesias wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 11:35:01 +1200, EMB wrote:
>
>> Freesias wrote:

>>> Do you still have overhead powerlines?

>> Very few places don't have overhead local powerlines.

> Really?
>
> Which city do you live near?

Auckland, where the undergrounding project came to a shuddering halt a
few years ago. Basically apart from the recent suburbs and main roads
most of the reticulation is overhead.

>> And I'm sure that *all* reticulated electricity in NZ is
>> delivered via overhead lines at some point.

> Duh!
>
> We ARE talking about distribution around a city and outlying suburbs -
> not about the national high-voltage distribution.
>
> In the suburb I live in even the 11kVA reticulation is underground.

Makes no difference to weather related outages - the HV reticulation is
just as susceptible to trees and wind, and in fact when so affected the
outages tend to be wider spread and of greater duration.

EMB

Freesias wrote:

> I'm curious about why the undergrounding stopped.
>
> Is that a consequence of the privatization of the Auckland Electric Power
> Board? - IE they want more profit so they sell everything they can and
> reduce services by the greatest extent possible without inducing
> widespread dissatisfaction and audible complaints.

I think (but may be wrong) that the local authorities stopped making any
contribution which stopped the project.