Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > How to change SSID and password on wireless network

How to change SSID and password on wireless network

Broooz

Please does anyone have a simple guide to changing the SSID and also the
password on a totally wireless network. I am worried about making the
change and then being cut off from the router (which is in a different room)
if it doesn't go well.

Changing the SSID - I can see how to change the SSID in the router but not
on the PC - it seems to be greyed out. Do I simply create a new connection
with the new SSID? (I am using XP SP3)

When changing the password ( I am using WPA-PSK (TKIP)) is the network key
the same as the pass phrase or do I need to convert it into hex first. I
recall XP did this for me when I set up the network but can't remember how).

Finally the key index is currently set to 1 - is this the best setting.

Thanks

John

"Broooz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Please does anyone have a simple guide to changing the SSID and also the
> password on a totally wireless network. I am worried about making the
> change and then being cut off from the router (which is in a different
> room) if it doesn't go well.

It is highly recommended to change wifi settings using a hard wired PC (ie:
use ethernet cable). You will definitely lose your wireless connection if
you change the SSID, passphrase, channel and so on. You can either take your
PC/laptop close to the router or the other way around.

> Changing the SSID - I can see how to change the SSID in the router but not
> on the PC - it seems to be greyed out. Do I simply create a new
> connection with the new SSID? (I am using XP SP3)

Most likely your connection will get disconnected after you saving the
change. You just have to go to your wifi management (Windows WZC or 3rd
party management software) on your PC. Refresh the list and double click the
new SSID name. You may be prompted for a passphrase.

> When changing the password ( I am using WPA-PSK (TKIP)) is the network key
> the same as the pass phrase or do I need to convert it into hex first. I
> recall XP did this for me when I set up the network but can't remember
> how).

Not sure what you're talking about here. What is your router brand and
model?

James Egan

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 21:28:21 +0100, "Broooz" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>When changing the password ( I am using WPA-PSK (TKIP)) is the network key
>the same as the pass phrase or do I need to convert it into hex first. I
>recall XP did this for me when I set up the network but can't remember how).
>
>Finally the key index is currently set to 1 - is this the best setting.

Use the same passphrase on the router and the pc. Forget about
converting to hex and such things, that's all related to using wep
encryption. Key exchange is much more user friendly with wpa-psk.

Jim.

Broooz

"James Egan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 21:28:21 +0100, "Broooz" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>When changing the password ( I am using WPA-PSK (TKIP)) is the network key
>>the same as the pass phrase or do I need to convert it into hex first. I
>>recall XP did this for me when I set up the network but can't remember
>>how).
>>
>>Finally the key index is currently set to 1 - is this the best setting.

> Use the same passphrase on the router and the pc. Forget about
> converting to hex and such things, that's all related to using wep
> encryption. Key exchange is much more user friendly with wpa-psk.

OK thank you both very much

Jeff@unknown.com

>> Finally the key index is currently set to 1 - is this the best
>> setting.

What about the key index? What is the best setting for that?

Jeff

Lem

>>> Finally the key index is currently set to 1 - is this the best
>>> setting.

> What about the key index? What is the best setting for that?
>
> Jeff

That's also related to WEP. You shouldn't see a key index setting with
WPA-PSK

--
Lem -- MS-MVP

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Hopefully you would be OK.
If you are Not, then do the same as suggest already but do it with a
computer that can connect to the Router via a wire.
After the Router is configured via wire, you can configure easily the
Wireless computers.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
P.S. Almost all Laptop thta re current and few years old ha a wire jack as
well.

"Broooz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Please does anyone have a simple guide to changing the SSID and also the
> password on a totally wireless network. I am worried about making the
> change and then being cut off from the router (which is in a different
> room) if it doesn't go well.
>
> Changing the SSID - I can see how to change the SSID in the router but not
> on the PC - it seems to be greyed out. Do I simply create a new
> connection with the new SSID? (I am using XP SP3)
>
> When changing the password ( I am using WPA-PSK (TKIP)) is the network key
> the same as the pass phrase or do I need to convert it into hex first. I
> recall XP did this for me when I set up the network but can't remember
> how).
>
> Finally the key index is currently set to 1 - is this the best setting.
>
> Thanks

Broooz

ok thanks very much