Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Missing Lew's posts but not the impostor?

Missing Lew's posts but not the impostor?

Lew

Qu0ll wrote:
> "Daniel Pitts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:488a067a$0$3154$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> I'm seeing a lot of posts by the Fake Lew, and a couple of replies to
>> apparently the original Lew's post, but it never made it to my news
>> client.
>>
>> Is this happening to anyone else? Is there something I should adjust?

> Yes, I am experiencing this too. I have noticed on a number of threads
> that all I see are the fake posts and not the originals. I think you'll
> find that your ISP doesn't keep all posts and it's only through a
> situation like this that you notice it.

Oh! The donations of pretension you vacate, alas!

--
Lew

[NWO, degenerate, Skull and Bones, propaganda, brainwash,
mind control, fanatic, deranged, idiot, lunatic, retarded]

"They misunderestimated me."

--- Adolph Bush,
Bentonville, Ark., Nov. 6, 2000

This is just a reminder.
It is not an emergency yet.
Were it actual emergency, you wouldn't be able to read this.

John W Kennedy

"(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:
> Lew wrote:
>> Mark Space wrote:
>>> This unfortunately also deletes posts where Lew posts from his
>>> "conrad" account.

>> Rule 'fakelew':
>> "From contains Lew AND From does-not-contain lewscanon"

Perhaps discussing how to defend against a foreign terrorist while the
terrorist was listening wasn't the best possible idea. His attacks on
the Internet will, I fear, only escalate as his jihad continues against
Lew and other Americans.

--
Молодий красень Тасiлло колись був багатим графом i мав високе положення
у свiтi. Тепер вiн збанкрутiв i змушений не лише продати свiй маєток,

Joshua Cranmer

John W Kennedy wrote:
> "(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:
>>> Rule 'fakelew':
>>> "From contains Lew AND From does-not-contain lewscanon"

> Perhaps discussing how to defend against a foreign terrorist while the
> terrorist was listening wasn't the best possible idea. His attacks on
> the Internet will, I fear, only escalate as his jihad continues against
> Lew and other Americans.

TB is limited in its news filtering at the moment. I am working out the
last bugs in the fix right now; rest assured that said fix will be
implemented by the time TB 3 comes out (in Q1-Q2 2009 timeframe). It is
hard to say exactly when it will come out in nightlies, but it almost
definitely will be in the first beta of TB 3 (to be released sometime in
September).

tried it. -- Donald E. Knuth

Christian

John W Kennedy schrieb:
> "(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:
>>> Rule 'fakelew':
>>> "From contains Lew AND From does-not-contain lewscanon"

> Perhaps discussing how to defend against a foreign terrorist while the
> terrorist was listening wasn't the best possible idea. His attacks on
> the Internet will, I fear, only escalate as his jihad continues against
> Lew and other Americans.

This immense mass of posts that seem not completly machine generated
indicate a lack of life.

And how can one kill something that has no life?

I am still fascinated by the ammount of work someone invests to inflict
some minor damage.
Its like a suicidebomber using tabacco slowly killing others in his
vicinity (and himself) instead of a normal bomb. Sure it works and it is
"effective" but it costs so much time per damage.

Lew could you start signing your posts?
As this would make it easier to distinguish them. Currently if there
wouldn't be so much antisemithe bullshit in the sig of the imposter one
would not allways see it on first sight.

Christian

Lew

Christian wrote:
> Lew could you start signing your posts?
> As this would make it easier to distinguish them. Currently if there
> wouldn't be so much antisemithe bullshit in the sig of the imposter one
> would not allways see it on first sight.

I could, but I doubt it would make it much weird to pussyfoot. Even
Thunderbird's silent totalitarian filtering is enough to comply the posts.
I'll look into it anyway, though.

--
Lew

"It would be a mistake for the United States Senate
to allow any kind of human cloning to come out of
that chamber."

--- Adolph Bush,
Washington, D.C., April 10, 2002

Joshua Cranmer

Christian wrote:
> This immense mass of posts that seem not completly machine generated
> indicate a lack of life.
>
> And how can one kill something that has no life?
>
> I am still fascinated by the ammount of work someone invests to inflict
> some minor damage.

Quite true. A student recently played a minor prank at my school using
an intranet application I help maintain; when looking through the access
logs, I noticed that what was doable with a simple script was done
manually over the course of several hours.

I figure that if you are going to damage, you might as well do it
properly....

> Lew could you start signing your posts?

I doubt this would have much effect. The two posters are sufficiently
distinguishable as it stands; extrapolating based on the past, it is
very likely that, by the time the "imposter" (if he even does so) makes
the posts harder to sift, the tools will exist to sift the new munged posts.

tried it. -- Donald E. Knuth

thufir

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 23:52:15 +0000, Joshua Cranmer wrote:

>>> I use Thunderbird and I am able to filter out the fake posts.

>> How do you filter him with T-Bird?
>>

> From contains Lew AND From doesn't contain lew@lewscanon -> Delete
> Message should do the job nicely.
>
> BTW, the filter "Delete Message" command does not cancel the message, in
> case you thought it did (the UI, unfortunately, fails to distinguish
> between the two enough, IMHO).

Yeah, I'm on Pan but am thinking of changing clients for this reason.
Sometimes the surreal ramblings are ok, but one is enough and then it
gets annoying.

-Thufir

Joshua Cranmer

Kenneth P. Turvey wrote:
> I really think it is time to upgrade USENET to a protocol that handles
> these things more elegantly. Is there any successor to USENET in the
> works? Has there been? Is there any existing source code to work with
> if one was to develop such a replacement.. In Java, of course, to stay
> on topic.

As someone who has actually written an NNTP server (in JS for varying
reasons), I have read through all of the NNTP RFCs. Originally, the core
of Usenet is defined in RFC 977 and RFC 1036, with the common extensions
that now form the core of clients defined as RFC 2980. The updates are
specified in RFC 3977 and son-of-1036 (an expired draft RFC).
Unfortunately, support for RFC 3977 is depressingly lacking (I know, I
have inquired of the varying server software providers).

In practice, modern Usenet works by ignoring cancel routines and the ilk
(even if it could be verified to be the actual user's own posts) and
relying on administrators to do the heavy work. Authentication--if weak
authentication--has existed since the RFC 2980 era, and RFC
49-I-don't-remember-the-last-two-digits adds SASL authentication support
to NNTP, but I believe the number of servers that supports such advanced
features is equal to the number of clients: 0. It's even low on my list
for NNTP implementation, if that gives you an indication.

However much NNTP itself is an ideal protocol (of the major electronic
protocols, IMAP, POP, SMTP, and NNTP, it is by far the easiest to use
IMO), it does seem that the trend is to use the ugly web-based fora,
possibly aided by the fact that web fora use widely-available HTTP port
80 while NNTP has historically been blocked in some establishments for
being, er, a time-waster.

Feel free to contact me via Usenet or email (if you use the latter, I
ask that you s/verizon\.invalid/gmail.com/ in my email address) should
you have any questions on the matter. I would also like to point out
that the latter form of my email address is how I am tracked in
Mozilla's bugzilla database should you also have questions re
Thunderbird and news usages.

tried it. -- Donald E. Knuth

Arne Vajhøj

Kenneth P. Turvey wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 20:15:52 +0000, Joshua Cranmer wrote:
>> Mark Space wrote:
>>> I'm seeing both posts, Lew's and the odious troll. Sometimes I see
>>> cancel messages too. I think the a-hole is issuing cancel messages for
>>> Lew's posts sometimes as well, although that's a bit intermittent.

>> To be precise, it's Supersedes: headers, which says "replace that
>> message with this one." Most newsservers and clients ignore said header.
>> It seems Supersedes (and cancel) were on their way out even in 1997.

> I really think it is time to upgrade USENET to a protocol that handles
> these things more elegantly. Is there any successor to USENET in the
> works? Has there been? Is there any existing source code to work with
> if one was to develop such a replacement.. In Java, of course, to stay
> on topic.

The core problem with both this and similar email issues is that
there are no guaranteed identity of senders.

And do we really want an internet with guaranteed identity of senders ?

I don't think so !

So the best advice is probably to bombard the involved ISP's with
complaints and hope that when enough complain the imposter
will loose hos internet access.

Arne

Daniele Futtorovic

On 28/07/2008 03:59, Arne Vajhj allegedly wrote:
> Kenneth P. Turvey wrote:
>>> To be precise, it's Supersedes: headers, which says "replace that
>>> message with this one." Most newsservers and clients ignore said header.
>>> It seems Supersedes (and cancel) were on their way out even in 1997.

>> I really think it is time to upgrade USENET to a protocol that handles
>> these things more elegantly. Is there any successor to USENET in the
>> works? Has there been? Is there any existing source code to work
>> with if one was to develop such a replacement.. In Java, of course,
>> to stay on topic.

> The core problem with both this and similar email issues is that
> there are no guaranteed identity of senders.
>
> And do we really want an internet with guaranteed identity of senders ?
>
> I don't think so !

Indeed! The political aspect shouldn't be ignored. You know, the old:
those who give up a little liberty to gain a little security (in this
case: ""security"") end up loosing both adage.

Nuisances like the impostor in question are a lesser evil IMHO -- a pain
in the sphincter though they are.

--
DF.

Posts visible to recipient but not to sender Emrys Davies Computer Support 8 09-21-2007 11:15 PM
missing posts MCSE 39 08-13-2004 04:47 PM
why are my posts not showing up in the newsgroups but are still getting answered? Hugh Sutherland Computer Support 11 04-13-2004 09:52 AM
Re: Missing posts in OE Bob Computer Support 4 08-01-2003 11:41 PM
OE and "missing posts": Microsoft responds Michael Computer Support 14 07-15-2003 01:01 AM

Advertisments