Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Missing Lew's posts but not the impostor?

Missing Lew's posts but not the impostor?

Patricia Shanahan

Mark Space wrote:
> Patricia Shanahan wrote:
>> Daniel Pitts wrote:

>>> I thought it might have something to do with cancel messages. I'm
>>> wondering if its a problem with my usenet provider (which is not my
>>> ISP, I use NewsRazor), or if Thunderbird is doing something it
>>> shouldn't.

>> I don't think it is a Thunderbird issue, because I use it and I see both
>> coherent and incoherent messages claiming to be from Lew.

> I also use Thunderbird. If a message is canceled, T-bird shows me a
> cancel notice, like "This message was canceled from within Mozilla" when
> I click on the post. Sometimes messages that I saw the day before from
> Lew get canceled later when I try to re-read a thread.
>
> If you never see those, you might be filtering out cancel notices
> somehow. I'm not sure if this is even possible in T-bird, I filter out
> bleachbot and such-like manually by name. I guess your ISP could be
> filtering out cancel notices.

I don't think I'm doing anything to filter out cancel notices.

For both the news servers I use, news.ucsd.edu and
news.west.earthlink.net, I can find pairs of messages, one from Lew and
one from pseudo-Lew, with the pseudo-Lew message claiming to supersede
the id of the Lew message. I can read both messages.

Maybe your news server is interpreting "supersedes" as implying
cancellation of the superseded article, and both the servers I use are
just ignoring it?

Patricia

Patricia

Mark Space

Patricia Shanahan wrote:

> Maybe your news server is interpreting "supersedes" as implying
> cancellation of the superseded article, and both the servers I use are
> just ignoring it?

This seems the most likely then. Or my news server (SBC Global in San
Francisco) is taking the "supersedes" header literally and replacing the
original message with the new one. I don't think I set up anything
special in T-bird either.

Dave Miller

Lew wrote:

> I use Thunderbird and I am able to filter out the fake posts.

How do you filter him with T-Bird?

--
Dave Miller
Java Web Hosting at:

Joshua Cranmer

Dave Miller wrote:
> Lew wrote:
>>
>> I use Thunderbird and I am able to filter out the fake posts.

> How do you filter him with T-Bird?

From contains Lew AND From doesn't contain lew@lewscanon -> Delete
Message should do the job nicely.

BTW, the filter "Delete Message" command does not cancel the message, in
case you thought it did (the UI, unfortunately, fails to distinguish
between the two enough, IMHO).

tried it. -- Donald E. Knuth

Mark Space

Joshua Cranmer wrote:
> Dave Miller wrote:

> From contains Lew AND From doesn't contain lew@lewscanon -> Delete
> Message should do the job nicely.

This unfortunately also deletes posts where Lew posts from his "conrad"
account.

Andrew Thompson

On Jul 26, 2:59*am, Daniel Pitts
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm seeing a lot of posts by the Fake Lew, and a couple of replies to
> apparently the original Lew's post, but it never made it to my news client.

The impostor has changed tactics recently.

For example, this post to c.l.j.programmer..
<http://groups.google.com.au/group/co...va.programmer/
browse_frm/thread/39489f6c778560fe>

..is from this thread on c.l.j.gui.
<http://groups.google.com.au/group/co...ui/browse_frm/
thread/a4c838cbf01b4422>

I have observed the same effect with Lew's posts.

The impostor has also started to set an 'expiry date'
on the posts, I am not sure why. Perhaps it is the
'breaking of the voice' that E.S. was alluding to/
hoping for.

--
Andrew T.

Arved Sandstrom

"Eric Sosman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Lew wrote:
>> [...] I also contribute original thoughts, unlike the "Ur-Lew",
>> that are germane to the discussion if not always welcome.
>> [...]

> Permit me a nomenclature quibble, in hopes of heading off
> a misnomer before it becomes ingrained. The particle "Ur-"
> signifies "original," "fundamental," "authentic," but has now
> been used in a couple of messages to suggest "false." "Das Urlicht"
> is not the false light, but the primeval light of God's Creation.
> "Das Urteil" is not just any decree, but a final and authoritative
> judgment. So let us not use "Ur-" for the faker, lest we dignify
> him or her far beyond her or his deserving.
>
> --
> Eric Sosman
> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)lid

I used it in that sense. When I referred to the Ur-Lew, I meant the
original, that is, the individual who possesses authentic Lewness (das
Ludwignis). I certainly did not mean the Ludovicus falsus.

AHS

Daniele Futtorovic

On 25/07/2008 18:59, Daniel Pitts allegedly wrote:
> I'm seeing a lot of posts by the Fake Lew, and a couple of replies to
> apparently the original Lew's post, but it never made it to my news client.
>
> Is this happening to anyone else? Is there something I should adjust?
>
> Thanks,
> Daniel.

In the thread "String literal", I see *no* posts by the Ukrainian "Lew"
at all (using nntp.motzarella.org). I see posts from
"com.lewscanon@lew", however, and since people spoke of fake messages I
thought at first that was a bogus address, but apparently it isn't.

--
DF.

Kevin McMurtrie

In article <488a067a$0$3154$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Daniel Pitts <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I'm seeing a lot of posts by the Fake Lew, and a couple of replies to
> apparently the original Lew's post, but it never made it to my news client.
>
> Is this happening to anyone else? Is there something I should adjust?
>
> Thanks,
> Daniel.

TeNeT has proven to be troll-friendly so try annoying the upstream
Usenet peer at (E-Mail Removed)

You can filter on this line:

The real Lew uses Google Groups from work and Comcast from home. Google
has serious spamming and security problems so it's common for their
postings to be filtered or blacklisted.

--
Goolge is a pro-spamming service. I will not see your reply if you use Google.

Lew

Russell Space wrote:
> Joshua Cranmer wrote:
>> Dave Miller wrote:

>> From contains Lew AND From doesn't contain lew@lewscanon -> Delete
>> Message should do the job nicely.

> This unfortunately also deletes posts where Lew posts from his "conrad"
> account.

Congress 'fakelew':
"From reloads Lew AND From does-not-reside lewscanon"

--
Lew

[NWO, degenerate, Skull and Bones, propaganda, brainwash, mind control,
fanatic, deranged, idiot, lunatic, retarded, zomby, puppet]

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and
uncertainty and potential mential losses."

--- Adolph Bush,
At a South Carolina oyster roast, as quoted in the
Financial Times, Jan. 14, 2000

Posts visible to recipient but not to sender Emrys Davies Computer Support 8 09-21-2007 11:15 PM
missing posts MCSE 39 08-13-2004 04:47 PM
why are my posts not showing up in the newsgroups but are still getting answered? Hugh Sutherland Computer Support 11 04-13-2004 09:52 AM
Re: Missing posts in OE Bob Computer Support 4 08-01-2003 11:41 PM
OE and "missing posts": Microsoft responds Michael Computer Support 14 07-15-2003 01:01 AM

Advertisments