Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Missing Lew's posts but not the impostor?

Missing Lew's posts but not the impostor?

Daniel Pitts

I'm seeing a lot of posts by the Fake Lew, and a couple of replies to
apparently the original Lew's post, but it never made it to my news client.

Is this happening to anyone else? Is there something I should adjust?

Thanks,
Daniel.

Arved Sandstrom

"Daniel Pitts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:488a067a$0$3154$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm seeing a lot of posts by the Fake Lew, and a couple of replies to
> apparently the original Lew's post, but it never made it to my news
> client.
>
> Is this happening to anyone else? Is there something I should adjust?
>
> Thanks,
> Daniel.
> --
> Daniel Pitts' Tech Blog: <http://virtualinfinity.net/wordpress/>

I think I am seeing virtually all of the Ur-Lew's posts, as evidenced by not
seeing references to posts that never showed up.

AHS

Qu0ll

"Daniel Pitts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:488a067a$0$3154$(E-Mail Removed)...

> I'm seeing a lot of posts by the Fake Lew, and a couple of replies to
> apparently the original Lew's post, but it never made it to my news
> client.
>
> Is this happening to anyone else? Is there something I should adjust?

Yes, I am experiencing this too. I have noticed on a number of threads that
all I see are the fake posts and not the originals. I think you'll find
that your ISP doesn't keep all posts and it's only through a situation like
this that you notice it.

--
And loving it,

-Qu0ll (Rare, not extinct)

Mark Space

Daniel Pitts wrote:
> I'm seeing a lot of posts by the Fake Lew, and a couple of replies to
> apparently the original Lew's post, but it never made it to my news client.
>
> Is this happening to anyone else? Is there something I should adjust?
>
> Thanks,
> Daniel.

I'm seeing both posts, Lew's and the odious troll. Sometimes I see
cancel messages too. I think the a-hole is issuing cancel messages for
Lew's posts sometimes as well, although that's a bit intermittent.

Daniel Pitts

Peter Duniho wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 09:59:07 -0700, Daniel Pitts
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I'm seeing a lot of posts by the Fake Lew, and a couple of replies to
>> apparently the original Lew's post, but it never made it to my news
>> client.
>>
>> Is this happening to anyone else? Is there something I should adjust?

> He's coming through loud and clear over here. Though, his ISP and mine
> use the same news provider, so that's not much of a cross-check (on the
> other hand, if you see this but not his messages, that should at least
> rule out an issue with our news provider).
>
> Since not seeing this message would mean there may well be something up
> with our news provider: if you don't see this message, please let me
> know.

I got your message no problem. Hmm.

Daniel Pitts

Mark Space wrote:
> Daniel Pitts wrote:
>> I'm seeing a lot of posts by the Fake Lew, and a couple of replies to
>> apparently the original Lew's post, but it never made it to my news
>> client.
>>
>> Is this happening to anyone else? Is there something I should adjust?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Daniel.

> I'm seeing both posts, Lew's and the odious troll. Sometimes I see
> cancel messages too. I think the a-hole is issuing cancel messages for
> Lew's posts sometimes as well, although that's a bit intermittent.

I thought it might have something to do with cancel messages. I'm
wondering if its a problem with my usenet provider (which is not my ISP,
I use NewsRazor), or if Thunderbird is doing something it shouldn't.

Joshua Cranmer

Mark Space wrote:
> I'm seeing both posts, Lew's and the odious troll. Sometimes I see
> cancel messages too. I think the a-hole is issuing cancel messages for
> Lew's posts sometimes as well, although that's a bit intermittent.

To be precise, it's Supersedes: headers, which says "replace that
message with this one." Most newsservers and clients ignore said header.
It seems Supersedes (and cancel) were on their way out even in 1997.

tried it. -- Donald E. Knuth

Patricia Shanahan

Daniel Pitts wrote:
> Mark Space wrote:
>> Daniel Pitts wrote:
>>> I'm seeing a lot of posts by the Fake Lew, and a couple of replies to
>>> apparently the original Lew's post, but it never made it to my news
>>> client.
>>>
>>> Is this happening to anyone else? Is there something I should adjust?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Daniel.

>> I'm seeing both posts, Lew's and the odious troll. Sometimes I see
>> cancel messages too. I think the a-hole is issuing cancel messages
>> for Lew's posts sometimes as well, although that's a bit intermittent.
>>

> I thought it might have something to do with cancel messages. I'm
> wondering if its a problem with my usenet provider (which is not my ISP,
> I use NewsRazor), or if Thunderbird is doing something it shouldn't.

I don't think it is a Thunderbird issue, because I use it and I see both
coherent and incoherent messages claiming to be from Lew.

Patricia

Mark Space

Patricia Shanahan wrote:
> Daniel Pitts wrote:

>> I thought it might have something to do with cancel messages. I'm
>> wondering if its a problem with my usenet provider (which is not my
>> ISP, I use NewsRazor), or if Thunderbird is doing something it shouldn't.

> I don't think it is a Thunderbird issue, because I use it and I see both
> coherent and incoherent messages claiming to be from Lew.

I also use Thunderbird. If a message is canceled, T-bird shows me a
cancel notice, like "This message was canceled from within Mozilla" when
I click on the post. Sometimes messages that I saw the day before from
Lew get canceled later when I try to re-read a thread.

If you never see those, you might be filtering out cancel notices
somehow. I'm not sure if this is even possible in T-bird, I filter out
bleachbot and such-like manually by name. I guess your ISP could be
filtering out cancel notices.

Lew

Patricia Shanahan wrote:
> I don't think it is a Thunderbird issue, because I use it and I see both
> coherent and incoherent messages claiming to be from Lew.

The real Lew will sometimes be incoherent, but rarely in such a
surreal fashion. I also do not put conspiracy-theory rants or anti-
Semitic garbage in my sigs, and I don't use obscene or insulting email
addresses as my own email address, which in actuality is
(E-Mail Removed) (or (E-Mail Removed)). I also don't repeat my
own posts with surreal paraphrases. I also don't post from the
Ukraine. I also contribute original thoughts, unlike the "Ur-Lew",
that are germane to the discussion if not always welcome.

I use Thunderbird and I am able to filter out the fake posts.

I am sharply disappointed that the ISPs allow these hate posts to
propagate. I guess eventually the faker will discover that we've all
plonked him and no one is even aware of his posts, much less listening
to his rants, much less finding him in any way engaging or clever.

--
Lew

Posts visible to recipient but not to sender Emrys Davies Computer Support 8 09-21-2007 11:15 PM
missing posts MCSE 39 08-13-2004 04:47 PM
why are my posts not showing up in the newsgroups but are still getting answered? Hugh Sutherland Computer Support 11 04-13-2004 09:52 AM
Re: Missing posts in OE Bob Computer Support 4 08-01-2003 11:41 PM
OE and "missing posts": Microsoft responds Michael Computer Support 14 07-15-2003 01:01 AM

Advertisments