Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Timeout error

Timeout error

How can I prevent the error of...

Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the
operation or the server is not responding.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Timeout expired. The
timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is
not responding.

The program is returning a quite hefty amount of data, which takes about 40
seconds to retrieve. My session timeouts are set to 900 seconds, but I've
been told I can programatically change it via asp.net.

Any ideas?

TIA

Marina

This is SQL timeout - not an asp.net session timeout. The 2 are not related.

Set the CommandTimeout property on your SqlCommand object.

"J" <nospam> wrote in message
news:%23$$(E-Mail Removed)...
> How can I prevent the error of...
>
> Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the
> operation or the server is not responding.
>
> Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Timeout expired.

The
> timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server

is
> not responding.
>
> The program is returning a quite hefty amount of data, which takes about

40
> seconds to retrieve. My session timeouts are set to 900 seconds, but I've
> been told I can programatically change it via asp.net.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> TIA

Thank you.

"Marina" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This is SQL timeout - not an asp.net session timeout. The 2 are not

related.

> Set the CommandTimeout property on your SqlCommand object.
>
> "J" <nospam> wrote in message
> news:%23$$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > How can I prevent the error of...
> >
> > Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the
> > operation or the server is not responding.
> > current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information
> > about the error and where it originated in the code.
> >
> > Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Timeout expired.

> The
> > timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the

server
> is
> > not responding.
> >
> > The program is returning a quite hefty amount of data, which takes about

> 40
> > seconds to retrieve. My session timeouts are set to 900 seconds, but

I've
> > been told I can programatically change it via asp.net.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > TIA

Giscard

"J" <nospam> wrote in message news:<#$$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> How can I prevent the error of...
>
> Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the
> operation or the server is not responding.
>
> Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Timeout expired. The
> timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is
> not responding.
>
> The program is returning a quite hefty amount of data, which takes about 40
> seconds to retrieve. My session timeouts are set to 900 seconds, but I've
> been told I can programatically change it via asp.net.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> TIA

Set your CommandTimeout to a few hundred seconds. Setting it to 0
should be infinite but there is a bug in .Net and this functionality
doesn't work. Bump your timeout up to say 100 (its in seconds).
Browsers (clients) don't timeout once they have a connection
established, ignore the fools on the rest of this thread.