Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Kettle Valley Tressel

Kettle Valley Tressel

Dudley Hanks

http://www.photography.dudley-hanks....ht/tressel.jpg

This is a low-angle shot of a tressel bridge located in Kettle Valley, near
Kalona, British Columbia. I was playing with perspective, wanting to make
the bridge look longer than it really is.

The biggest problem was that the bridges are stationed here-and-there along
a hiking trail that used to be an old railway line about 100 years ago.
Thus, the trail hangs off the side of a mountain and isn't all that wide.
The tressels bridge gaps that fall off abruptly, and can be rather dangerous
to get up close to the side.

My wife read me a tribute to a young lady who fell off one of the tressels
and died. I think she was subtly trying to tell me I was getting too close
to the edge.

I was just wondering what people think of the shot.

Take Care,
Dudley

Matt Ion

Dudley Hanks wrote:
> http://www.photography.dudley-hanks....ht/tressel.jpg
>
> This is a low-angle shot of a tressel bridge located in Kettle Valley, near
> Kalona, British Columbia.

That's "Kelowna", FYI.

> I was playing with perspective, wanting to make
> the bridge look longer than it really is.
>
> The biggest problem was that the bridges are stationed here-and-there along
> a hiking trail that used to be an old railway line about 100 years ago.
> Thus, the trail hangs off the side of a mountain and isn't all that wide.
> The tressels bridge gaps that fall off abruptly, and can be rather dangerous
> to get up close to the side.

You're lucky to find any of them - most were destroyed in the massive
Okanagan Mountain Park fire back in 2003
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Ok...ain_Park_Fire). Many
have been rebuilt, thanks to volunteer help and public donations, and
the burned-out section of the trail was officially reopened only a month
or so ago.

> My wife read me a tribute to a young lady who fell off one of the tressels
> and died. I think she was subtly trying to tell me I was getting too close
> to the edge.
>
> I was just wondering what people think of the shot.

Way underexposed. The exposure of the sky is nearly perfect, but that
leaves everything else deep in shadow. The harsh tilt to the whole shot
isn't really working for me either.

Mark Thomas

Dudley Hanks wrote:
> http://www.photography.dudley-hanks....ht/tressel.jpg
>
> I was just wondering what people think of the shot.

Thanks for the history (that I have rudely snipped!).

It's interesting.. but it doesn't work for me either, I'm afraid.

Sometimes tilts work well, but I find one 'perspective trick' per shot
is usually the limit - in this case you are using a wide view and strong
leading lines as well as the tilt, but they all seem to be working
against each other.

And I agree that the contrast is over the top - there is quite a bit of
detail in the shadows though, and a tweak of levels/curves might be
worthwhile, perhaps leaving the sky as is.

However, even with all that it just seems to be missing something. In a
case like this, I would ask:
- what is this image about?
(if you can't immediately answer, then it probably isn't going to work -
in this case, I guess it's about the bridge, but the bridge isn't
especially aesthetic or interesting to my eyes)
- have I drawn the viewer's eyes to the subject/or an interesting point,
or have I acheieved a 'mood'?

I would imagine this scene could pop into life at a particular time of
day when the sun is just right. There's a waterfall near here that I
have visited several times without getting a useful image - I have now
pinned down the hour at which there might be a decent shot...

Or perhaps you could have zoomed in on details - maybe a close up of a
smaller area of the bridge structure with oof background...?

For me (and it is just me!), that image doesn't say 'keeper', sorry.

Keep posting though, I like your style and you usually raise interesting
issues and ideas.

mt

Blinky the Shark

Dudley Hanks wrote:

> http://www.photography.dudley-hanks....ht/tressel.jpg
>
> This is a low-angle shot of a tressel bridge located in Kettle Valley,
> near Kalona, British Columbia. I was playing with perspective, wanting
> to make the bridge look longer than it really is.

Believe it or not - considering its size - I know a guy from (but not now
living in) Kelowna, over in alt.fan.cecil-adams. In fact, I think there
are *two* of them in there -- both everyday regulars. What are the odds?

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Nervous Nick

On Jul 24, 11:40*pm, "Dudley Hanks" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> http://www.photography.dudley-hanks....ht/tressel.jpg
>
> This is a low-angle shot of a tressel bridge located in Kettle Valley, near
> Kalona, British Columbia. *I was playing with perspective, wanting to make
> the bridge look longer than it really is.
>
> The biggest problem was that the bridges are stationed here-and-there along
> a hiking trail that used to be an old railway line about 100 years ago.
> Thus, the trail hangs off the side of a mountain and isn't all that wide.
> The tressels bridge gaps that fall off abruptly, and can be rather dangerous
> to get up close to the side.
>
> My wife read me a tribute to a young lady who fell off one of the tressels
> and died. *I think she was subtly trying to tell me I was getting too close
> to the edge.
>
> I was just wondering what people think of the shot.

I was wondering why you made this shot, and why you chose to show it.
It looks almost like an accidental shutter release.

Also, ITYM "trestle".

--
YOP...

Colin.D

Dudley Hanks wrote:
> http://www.photography.dudley-hanks....ht/tressel.jpg
>
> This is a low-angle shot of a tressel bridge located in Kettle Valley, near
> Kalona, British Columbia. I was playing with perspective, wanting to make
> the bridge look longer than it really is.
>
> The biggest problem was that the bridges are stationed here-and-there along
> a hiking trail that used to be an old railway line about 100 years ago.
> Thus, the trail hangs off the side of a mountain and isn't all that wide.
> The tressels bridge gaps that fall off abruptly, and can be rather dangerous
> to get up close to the side.
>
> My wife read me a tribute to a young lady who fell off one of the tressels
> and died. I think she was subtly trying to tell me I was getting too close
> to the edge.
>
> I was just wondering what people think of the shot.
>
> Take Care,
> Dudley

Hello Dudley,

Well, I do not have any comment about the subject, but from a technical
POV, to my eye there are two things wrong, first, the large expanse of
sky has depressed the exposure, so the sky is well rendered, but the
land mass, bridge, and vegetation are heavily underexposed. I tried to
correct the image in Photoshop, but I couldn't get the bridge tones
light enough without bad posterizing. The basic problem is one of
dynamic range - from the clouds to the underside of the bridge and the
dark vegetation is too wide a dynamic range for the camera without
losing either the shadows or highlights. Lacking a spot meter, an
exposure metered including more of the land and vegetation might have
yielded a slower exposure, whitening the sky but capturing more of the
land mass.

The second thing is the horizon is about 9 degrees off level, measured
in PS, going by the tall tree just left of center in the image.

I know your eyesight is not good, and full marks for shooting images
under that handicap.

Colin D.

Peter

"Dudley Hanks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> http://www.photography.dudley-hanks....ht/tressel.jpg
>
> This is a low-angle shot of a tressel bridge located in Kettle Valley,
> near Kalona, British Columbia. I was playing with perspective, wanting to
> make the bridge look longer than it really is.
>
> The biggest problem was that the bridges are stationed here-and-there
> along a hiking trail that used to be an old railway line about 100 years
> ago. Thus, the trail hangs off the side of a mountain and isn't all that
> wide. The tressels bridge gaps that fall off abruptly, and can be rather
> dangerous to get up close to the side.
>
> My wife read me a tribute to a young lady who fell off one of the tressels
> and died. I think she was subtly trying to tell me I was getting too
> close to the edge.
>
> I was just wondering what people think of the shot.
>
> Take Care,
> Dudley

To my eye it has some interesting possibilities. Your angle shot add a nice
touch of drama and the pattern of quasi horizontal lines against an
interesting sky makes a nice pattern. The trees on the left are a
distraction to me. I would crop it vertically at the right edge of the tree
line and a horizontal crop near the lower left. Then just a small adjustment
to bring up the shadow detail. Then if you resize the image to a square,
your bridge will look a lot longer than it is.

--
Peter

Burgerman

news:4889a9d9$0$13862$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com...
> "Dudley Hanks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> http://www.photography.dudley-hanks....ht/tressel.jpg
>>
>> This is a low-angle shot of a tressel bridge located in Kettle Valley,
>> near Kalona, British Columbia. I was playing with perspective, wanting
>> make the bridge look longer than it really is.
>>
>> The biggest problem was that the bridges are stationed here-and-there
>> along a hiking trail that used to be an old railway line about 100 years
>> ago. Thus, the trail hangs off the side of a mountain and isn't all that
>> wide. The tressels bridge gaps that fall off abruptly, and can be rather
>> dangerous to get up close to the side.
>>
>> My wife read me a tribute to a young lady who fell off one of the
>> tressels
>> and died. I think she was subtly trying to tell me I was getting too
>> close to the edge.
>>
>> I was just wondering what people think of the shot.
>>
>> Take Care,
>> Dudley
>>

> To my eye it has some interesting possibilities. Your angle shot add a
> nice
> touch of drama and the pattern of quasi horizontal lines against an
> interesting sky makes a nice pattern. The trees on the left are a
> distraction to me. I would crop it vertically at the right edge of the
> tree
> line and a horizontal crop near the lower left. Then just a small
> adjustment
> to bring up the shadow detail. Then if you resize the image to a square,
> your bridge will look a lot longer than it is.
>
> --
> Peter

http://www.cordeaux.net/fixed-ish.jpg

Fixed the shadows without blowing the sky and straightened and perspective
corrected. To me it looked sort of distorted! But I am no artist...

The camera did a great job of not blowing the sky out but that meand there
was too much contrast for the sensor to see the shadow areas.

Now its a bit noisey, but the main problem is the horid chromatic aberasion
(colour banding) in the trees at the edge.

Faz

Dudley - You have photographed an area where the evegreens are no longer
green as the pine beetle has destroyed acres of them. Also this photo came
out extremely dark on my computer.......and the history is probably the most
important to the people from that area. Really hard to tell this is an old
train tressel.

Regards......Chuck.

"Dudley Hanks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> http://www.photography.dudley-hanks....ht/tressel.jpg
>
> This is a low-angle shot of a tressel bridge located in Kettle Valley,
> near Kalona, British Columbia. I was playing with perspective, wanting to
> make the bridge look longer than it really is.
>
> The biggest problem was that the bridges are stationed here-and-there
> along a hiking trail that used to be an old railway line about 100 years
> ago. Thus, the trail hangs off the side of a mountain and isn't all that
> wide. The tressels bridge gaps that fall off abruptly, and can be rather
> dangerous to get up close to the side.
>
> My wife read me a tribute to a young lady who fell off one of the tressels
> and died. I think she was subtly trying to tell me I was getting too
> close to the edge.
>
> I was just wondering what people think of the shot.
>
> Take Care,
> Dudley

Dudley Hanks

"Mark Thomas" <markt@_don't_spam_marktphoto.com> wrote in message
news:g6c219$uis$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dudley Hanks wrote:
>> http://www.photography.dudley-hanks....ht/tressel.jpg
>>
>> I was just wondering what people think of the shot.
>>

> Thanks for the history (that I have rudely snipped!).
>
> It's interesting.. but it doesn't work for me either, I'm afraid.
>
> Sometimes tilts work well, but I find one 'perspective trick' per shot is
> usually the limit - in this case you are using a wide view and strong
> leading lines as well as the tilt, but they all seem to be working against
> each other.
>
> And I agree that the contrast is over the top - there is quite a bit of
> detail in the shadows though, and a tweak of levels/curves might be
> worthwhile, perhaps leaving the sky as is.
>
> However, even with all that it just seems to be missing something. In a
> case like this, I would ask:
> - what is this image about?
> (if you can't immediately answer, then it probably isn't going to work -
> in this case, I guess it's about the bridge, but the bridge isn't
> especially aesthetic or interesting to my eyes)
> - have I drawn the viewer's eyes to the subject/or an interesting point,
> or have I acheieved a 'mood'?
>
> I would imagine this scene could pop into life at a particular time of day
> when the sun is just right. There's a waterfall near here that I have
> visited several times without getting a useful image - I have now pinned
> down the hour at which there might be a decent shot...
>
> Or perhaps you could have zoomed in on details - maybe a close up of a
> smaller area of the bridge structure with oof background...?
>
> For me (and it is just me!), that image doesn't say 'keeper', sorry.
>
> Keep posting though, I like your style and you usually raise interesting
> issues and ideas.
>
> mt

Thanks for the feedback, Mark. Your comments are right on target.

I didn't post this as a keeper; instead, I was just curious about what
people thought about the effect.

What I was trying to do was to make the clouds the center of interest, with
the tressel leading in towards them. Unfortunately, as you observed, this
isn't really a sufficient subject. Had the clouds been more ominous, or the
bridge been occupied by someone leaning over the edge with elboes on the
rail, it would have made a lot of difference. I will reshoot something like
that when I visit the area next.

Probably, the best way to achieve success with this type of shot would have
been to shoot two images, one with the bridge in a lighter exposure, and
then used photoshop to combine the two.

Having said all that, one of the reasons I like this image is that it, in a
rather crude way, illustrates what I actually see.

True, it is not an accurate depiction of what I see since the image shows
way too much detail, but comparisons can be made.

When I looked at this shot trying to decide on how to shoot it, the bridge
appeared to me much like it appears to you -- in a rather distorted,
diminishing plunge into a dark, amorphous area with little to distinguish
what is there. On the left, I could make out the dark mountain descending
towards the bridge, and the clouds occupied the center in a kind of swirling
mass. The clouds are the main reason why this isn't an accurate depiction
of what I saw. The camera captured too much detail there.

To my eyes, I saw a lighter wedge that dropped towards the ground, with the
dark beams of the tressel making it the only object I could readily
identify.

The fact that the tressel terminated nearly on one of the junctures of the
lines of thirds kind of drew my eye to that area, giving me the impression
of motion in that direction. I guess I look at this picture as a kind of
analogy of the life of a visually-impaired person. We travel a dark road
into a clouded future, but our civilized society makes the whole journey
rather bland.

I'm probably stretching things a bit, but the point this picture brings out
is that disabled people sometimes need a bit of excitement in their lives,
even if it is just venturing close to the edge -- a precarious position
which is actually safer for me and my cane than for a sighted person, but
exciting none the less.

Take Care,
Dudley