Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > What TV cards are working well with MythTV / Win MCE ?

What TV cards are working well with MythTV / Win MCE ?

elpenguino

Hi all,
What are you using for your PVRs?

I'd like one thats:

PCI
Hardware compression/processing so I dont need a multi-core CPU
Got good driver support to work with Windows or Linux

Cheers,
Chris

JohnO

On Jul 22, 1:40 pm, elpenguino <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi all,
> What are you using for your PVRs?
>
> I'd like one thats:
>
> PCI
> Hardware compression/processing so I dont need a multi-core CPU
> Got good driver support to work with Windows or Linux
>
> Cheers,
> Chris

Hauppauge - the gold standard, supported by everything and reasonably
cheap nowdays.

PS - You didn't mention GBPVR - imho better than MCE.

Richard

elpenguino wrote:
> Hi all,
> What are you using for your PVRs?
>
> I'd like one thats:
>
> PCI
> Hardware compression/processing so I dont need a multi-core CPU
> Got good driver support to work with Windows or Linux

Hauppauge PVR 150. Sadly it is only PCI however.

But why do you want an analog card? Other then prime there is little
reason for it when already compressed digital signals are there for your
taking.

JohnO

On Jul 22, 3:35 pm, Brian Mathews
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 19:44:20 -0700 (PDT), JohnO <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >On Jul 22, 1:40 pm, elpenguino <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >> What are you using for your PVRs?

> >> I'd like one thats:

> >> PCI
> >> Hardware compression/processing so I dont need a multi-core CPU
> >> Got good driver support to work with Windows or Linux

> >> Cheers,
> >> Chris

> >Hauppauge - the gold standard, supported by everything and reasonably
> >cheap nowdays.

> >PS - You didn't mention GBPVR - imho better than MCE.

> Does it have onboard MP4 support..?

No, it encodes MPEG-2

> From past post I have read, it does not support Mp4..

Correct.

However assuming the OP wants to use his media center to record tv it
is of little consequence.

If for some reason he needs mpeg-4 then both MythTV and GBPVR allow
for on the fly transcoding as long as your CPU is up to it.

elpenguino

On Jul 22, 3:53*pm, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> elpenguino wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > What are you using for your PVRs?

> > I'd like one thats:

> > PCI
> > Hardware compression/processing so I dont need a multi-core CPU
> > Got good driver support to work with Windows or Linux

> Hauppauge *PVR 150. Sadly it is only PCI however.
>
> But why do you want an analog card? Other then prime there is little
> reason for it when already compressed digital signals are there for your
> taking.

Hi,
sorry if I wasnt clear (accessed groups via the web and after typing
everything suffered a page clearing mouse click!) - am after something
for Freeview.
I see the PVR150 records to MPG2 format - anybody using a DVB-T card
to record to MPG4 / xvid ?

Since I use MPG4 already it seems easiest to keep everything the same.

I see this card:
http://ascent.co.nz/productspecifica...?ItemID=363662
The PVR4000 does satellite and terrestrial ( Great!) but needs a P4
3.2 !! seems a high requirement but then it offers MPG2 or h.264
( which is MPG 4 innit?) so i am guessing it doesnt do much in
hardware like the PVR150. Anyone confirm that ?

Cheers,
Chris

JohnO

On Jul 22, 3:53 pm, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> elpenguino wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > What are you using for your PVRs?

> > I'd like one thats:

> > PCI
> > Hardware compression/processing so I dont need a multi-core CPU
> > Got good driver support to work with Windows or Linux

> Hauppauge PVR 150. Sadly it is only PCI however.

He wants PCI

> But why do you want an analog card? Other then prime there is little
> reason for it when already compressed digital signals are there for your
> taking.

Agreed - but if you want to capture SkyTV there's no alternative.

Gordon

On 2008-07-22, elpenguino <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jul 22, 3:53*pm, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> elpenguino wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> > What are you using for your PVRs?

>> > I'd like one thats:

>> > PCI
>> > Hardware compression/processing so I dont need a multi-core CPU
>> > Got good driver support to work with Windows or Linux

>> Hauppauge *PVR 150. Sadly it is only PCI however.
>>
>> But why do you want an analog card? Other then prime there is little
>> reason for it when already compressed digital signals are there for your
>> taking.

> Hi,
> sorry if I wasnt clear (accessed groups via the web and after typing
> everything suffered a page clearing mouse click!) - am after something
> for Freeview.
> I see the PVR150 records to MPG2 format - anybody using a DVB-T card
> to record to MPG4 / xvid ?
>
> Since I use MPG4 already it seems easiest to keep everything the same.
>
> I see this card:
> http://ascent.co.nz/productspecifica...?ItemID=363662
> The PVR4000 does satellite and terrestrial ( Great!) but needs a P4
> 3.2 !! seems a high requirement but then it offers MPG2 or h.264
> ( which is MPG 4 innit?) so i am guessing it doesnt do much in
> hardware like the PVR150. Anyone confirm that ?

Confirmed Maybe.

One has to keep in mind that *analoge* TV is a raw stream. The other stuff,
DVD-T and DVB-S is a MPG (compressed) stream.

Converting Analog stream on the fly (recording) requires the grunt. The
other is all ready encoded. De coding is so much less demanding of the
hardware.

The PVR-4000 does analog TV, so this is where the 3.2MHZ plus CPU is
required.

H.264 is a standard for video compression. It is also known as MPEG-4 Part
10, or MPEG-4 AVC (for Advanced Video Coding).

Unquote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264

Richard

elpenguino wrote:

> Hi,
> sorry if I wasnt clear (accessed groups via the web and after typing
> everything suffered a page clearing mouse click!) - am after something
> for Freeview.
> I see the PVR150 records to MPG2 format - anybody using a DVB-T card
> to record to MPG4 / xvid ?
>
> Since I use MPG4 already it seems easiest to keep everything the same.
>
> I see this card:
> http://ascent.co.nz/productspecifica...?ItemID=363662
> The PVR4000 does satellite and terrestrial ( Great!) but needs a P4
> 3.2 !! seems a high requirement but then it offers MPG2 or h.264
> ( which is MPG 4 innit?) so i am guessing it doesnt do much in
> hardware like the PVR150. Anyone confirm that ?

You wont find anything that will decode the h264 and reencode into one
of the simple mpeg4 profiles in hardware.

h264 is much more advanced then most things will deal with. Totally
incompatible with divx/xvid and other mpeg4 derivatives.

The only hardware encoders are the ones that take analog, and those
suffer from only taking analog.

Craig Shore

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 21:46:49 +1200, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>elpenguino wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>> sorry if I wasnt clear (accessed groups via the web and after typing
>> everything suffered a page clearing mouse click!) - am after something
>> for Freeview.
>> I see the PVR150 records to MPG2 format - anybody using a DVB-T card
>> to record to MPG4 / xvid ?
>>
>> Since I use MPG4 already it seems easiest to keep everything the same.
>>
>> I see this card:
>> http://ascent.co.nz/productspecifica...?ItemID=363662
>> The PVR4000 does satellite and terrestrial ( Great!) but needs a P4
>> 3.2 !! seems a high requirement but then it offers MPG2 or h.264
>> ( which is MPG 4 innit?) so i am guessing it doesnt do much in
>> hardware like the PVR150. Anyone confirm that ?

>You wont find anything that will decode the h264 and reencode into one
>of the simple mpeg4 profiles in hardware.
>
>h264 is much more advanced then most things will deal with. Totally
>incompatible with divx/xvid and other mpeg4 derivatives.
>
>The only hardware encoders are the ones that take analog, and those
>suffer from only taking analog.

So it doesn't actually take much in the way of hardware to just
capture/save the stream without doing anything to it on the fly then?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
elpenguino did write:

> I see the PVR150 records to MPG2 format - anybody using a DVB-T card
> to record to MPG4 / xvid ?

Note that the digital TV cards don't do any encoding, they just capture the
bitstream straight off the air.

Win MCE Joe Computer Support 1 12-11-2007 06:14 PM
Pre-build MythTV Linux PVR eats Windows MCE for breakfast Au79 Computer Support 0 12-16-2006 04:43 AM
Win MCE? Joe Computer Support 8 11-26-2006 07:43 AM
Win MCE and wireless David T Wireless Networking 1 06-14-2006 02:14 AM

Advertisments