Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > forgotten WPA

forgotten WPA

Lem

> Steve Winograd wrote:
>> On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 19:03:12 -0400, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> If you've forgotten your WPA password, is there a way to recover it?
>>>
>>> I'm on Windows XP wireless home network
>>>
>>> Jeff

>> Connect a computer to your router using an Ethernet cable and log into
>> the router in Internet Explorer using its IP address. For example
>> (substitute your router's IP address if different):
>>
>> http://192.168.1.1
>>
>> Go to the wireless security screen and see what the WPA password is.

> Thank you Steve. That's the first thing I thought to do but could not find
> it.
>
> I use a Trendnet 432BRP router which is working fine in my wireless home
> network. I need to add a new PC which is why I am looking for the old
> password.
>
> I went to the Trendnet's Wireless Security screen but the password is not
> shown anywhere there. Just that it is a WPA-PSK, etc. I cannot find the
> password visible anywhere else on its screens.
>
> I will email their support to see if there is a way to recover it.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jeff

Are you saying that you can see the password in the router's
configuration utility but that it is obscured (e.g., all asterisks) or
that you can't find the place in the configuration utility where the
password is displayed?

If the former, that would be a bit unusual but unfortunate. In this
case, your best option is simply to set a new password as John has
suggested.

If the latter, you plainly are looking in the wrong place. The router's
configuration utility permits you to set (or change) the WPA-PSK
password. You have to be able to see it (even if it's all asterisks) in
order to change it.

The Trendnet 432BRP has several releases, and you didn't mention which
yours was. The features and manuals are slightly different. Look around
pages 33-36 of your manual for a description of the screen you want.

--
Lem -- MS-MVP

John wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:usCUOe$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I use a Trendnet 432BRP router which is working fine in my wireless
>> home network. I need to add a new PC which is why I am looking for
>> the old password.
>>
>> I went to the Trendnet's Wireless Security screen but the password
>> is not shown anywhere there. Just that it is a WPA-PSK, etc. I
>> cannot find the password visible anywhere else on its screens.
>>
>> I will email their support to see if there is a way to recover it.

> Is there any reason why the passphrase should never be changed?
> Wouldn't it be quicker to change it than waiting for a reply from
> Trendnet? It's only a matter of typing 8 character (or longer)
> passphrase, copy and paste it into a text file stored in USB flash
> drive.

You have a point. It's just the ugly memory of what it took to get the
network working a year ago that makes me hesitate .... <grin - I think>

Jeff

Lem wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Steve Winograd wrote:

>>> Connect a computer to your router using an Ethernet cable and log
>>> into the router in Internet Explorer using its IP address. For
>>> example (substitute your router's IP address if different):
>>>
>>> http://192.168.1.1
>>>
>>> Go to the wireless security screen and see what the WPA password is.

>> Thank you Steve. That's the first thing I thought to do but could
>> not find it.
>>
>> I use a Trendnet 432BRP router which is working fine in my wireless
>> home network. I need to add a new PC which is why I am looking for
>> the old password.
>>
>> I went to the Trendnet's Wireless Security screen but the password
>> is not shown anywhere there. Just that it is a WPA-PSK, etc. I
>> cannot find the password visible anywhere else on its screens.
>>
>> I will email their support to see if there is a way to recover it.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Jeff
>>

> Are you saying that you can see the password in the router's
> configuration utility but that it is obscured (e.g., all asterisks) or
> that you can't find the place in the configuration utility where the
> password is displayed?
>
> If the former, that would be a bit unusual but unfortunate. In this
> case, your best option is simply to set a new password as John has
> suggested.
>
> If the latter, you plainly are looking in the wrong place. The
> router's configuration utility permits you to set (or change) the
> WPA-PSK password. You have to be able to see it (even if it's all
> asterisks) in order to change it.
>
> The Trendnet 432BRP has several releases, and you didn't mention which
> yours was. The features and manuals are slightly different. Look
> around pages 33-36 of your manual for a description of the screen you
> want.

It is a B1 but I believe I updated the firmware a year or so ago.

I guess I just have not found the correct screen. The Wireless Security
screen I find for the password looks like this
http://www.orthohelp.com/uploads/wir...20security.gif
and it does not show the password screen. (Not much else below that image)

Jeff

Found mt Trendnet pdf manual which says that if I select WPA-PSK I should
get the following screen:
http://www.orthohelp.com/uploads/wir...0security2.gif
but I do not Hence my problem.

Jeff

Lem wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Steve Winograd wrote:

>>> Connect a computer to your router using an Ethernet cable and log
>>> into the router in Internet Explorer using its IP address. For
>>> example (substitute your router's IP address if different):
>>>
>>> http://192.168.1.1
>>>
>>> Go to the wireless security screen and see what the WPA password is.

>> Thank you Steve. That's the first thing I thought to do but could
>> not find it.
>>
>> I use a Trendnet 432BRP router which is working fine in my wireless
>> home network. I need to add a new PC which is why I am looking for
>> the old password.
>>
>> I went to the Trendnet's Wireless Security screen but the password
>> is not shown anywhere there. Just that it is a WPA-PSK, etc. I
>> cannot find the password visible anywhere else on its screens.
>>
>> I will email their support to see if there is a way to recover it.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Jeff
>>

> Are you saying that you can see the password in the router's
> configuration utility but that it is obscured (e.g., all asterisks) or
> that you can't find the place in the configuration utility where the
> password is displayed?
>
> If the former, that would be a bit unusual but unfortunate. In this
> case, your best option is simply to set a new password as John has
> suggested.
>
> If the latter, you plainly are looking in the wrong place. The
> router's configuration utility permits you to set (or change) the
> WPA-PSK password. You have to be able to see it (even if it's all
> asterisks) in order to change it.
>
> The Trendnet 432BRP has several releases, and you didn't mention which
> yours was. The features and manuals are slightly different. Look
> around pages 33-36 of your manual for a description of the screen you
> want.

Figured it out.

I found the screen with the passwords and how to access it - unfortunately
the password is asterisked.

I decided to put in a new one anyway.

Thanks for the help.

Jeff

Lem wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Steve Winograd wrote:

>>> Connect a computer to your router using an Ethernet cable and log
>>> into the router in Internet Explorer using its IP address. For
>>> example (substitute your router's IP address if different):
>>>
>>> http://192.168.1.1
>>>
>>> Go to the wireless security screen and see what the WPA password is.

>> Thank you Steve. That's the first thing I thought to do but could
>> not find it.
>>
>> I use a Trendnet 432BRP router which is working fine in my wireless
>> home network. I need to add a new PC which is why I am looking for
>> the old password.
>>
>> I went to the Trendnet's Wireless Security screen but the password
>> is not shown anywhere there. Just that it is a WPA-PSK, etc. I
>> cannot find the password visible anywhere else on its screens.
>>
>> I will email their support to see if there is a way to recover it.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Jeff
>>

> Are you saying that you can see the password in the router's
> configuration utility but that it is obscured (e.g., all asterisks) or
> that you can't find the place in the configuration utility where the
> password is displayed?
>
> If the former, that would be a bit unusual but unfortunate. In this
> case, your best option is simply to set a new password as John has
> suggested.
>
> If the latter, you plainly are looking in the wrong place. The
> router's configuration utility permits you to set (or change) the
> WPA-PSK password. You have to be able to see it (even if it's all
> asterisks) in order to change it.
>
> The Trendnet 432BRP has several releases, and you didn't mention which
> yours was. The features and manuals are slightly different. Look
> around pages 33-36 of your manual for a description of the screen you
> want.

John

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Is there any reason why the passphrase should never be changed?
>> Wouldn't it be quicker to change it than waiting for a reply from
>> Trendnet? It's only a matter of typing 8 character (or longer)
>> passphrase, copy and paste it into a text file stored in USB flash
>> drive.

> You have a point. It's just the ugly memory of what it took to get the
> network working a year ago that makes me hesitate .... <grin - I think>

Ah, I see. If there's no way to see stored passphrase in your router, the
only solution is to change it. I doubt there's a way to retrieve stored WiFi
passphrase from your Windows PCs.

John wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Is there any reason why the passphrase should never be changed?
>>> Wouldn't it be quicker to change it than waiting for a reply from
>>> Trendnet? It's only a matter of typing 8 character (or longer)
>>> passphrase, copy and paste it into a text file stored in USB flash
>>> drive.

>> You have a point. It's just the ugly memory of what it took to get
>> the network working a year ago that makes me hesitate .... <grin - I
>> think>

> Ah, I see. If there's no way to see stored passphrase in your router,
> the only solution is to change it. I doubt there's a way to retrieve
> stored WiFi passphrase from your Windows PCs.

Anyway, I solved the problem. Changed the password all around and it works.

Much worry about nothing!

Jeff

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Hmm.. Can you explain why you are reluctant to change the Pass Phrase?
It is a good security policy to change it periodically to begin with.
It takes less than a minute to change it in the Router, and few second to
type the new pass phrase to each wireless computer when you log on the first
time.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:O3dhPg$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Steve Winograd wrote:
>> On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 19:03:12 -0400, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> If you've forgotten your WPA password, is there a way to recover it?
>>>
>>> I'm on Windows XP wireless home network
>>>
>>> Jeff

>> Connect a computer to your router using an Ethernet cable and log into
>> the router in Internet Explorer using its IP address. For example
>> (substitute your router's IP address if different):
>>
>> http://192.168.1.1
>>
>> Go to the wireless security screen and see what the WPA password is.

> Another thought:
> I have 2 other Windows XP PCs that now connect automatically with this
> WPA-PSK protected wireless home network. So the password is somewhere in
> these 2 PCs. Is there a way to recover it from them somewhere in their
> Windows XP's files?
>
> Jeff

Jeff@unknown.com

I know. It's just that it was so emotionally traumatic to get the wlan
working when I first put it together that I hate to rock the boat now that
it is working fine. But I did it.

Jeff