Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > forgotten WPA

forgotten WPA

If you've forgotten your WPA password, is there a way to recover it?

I'm on Windows XP wireless home network

Jeff

John

I don't think so. Do you have control of the router? Change the password if
you do.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you've forgotten your WPA password, is there a way to recover it?
>
> I'm on Windows XP wireless home network
>
> Jeff

I thought that was what I might need to do.

John wrote:
> I don't think so. Do you have control of the router? Change the
> password if you do.
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> If you've forgotten your WPA password, is there a way to recover it?
>>
>> I'm on Windows XP wireless home network
>>
>> Jeff

Steve Winograd

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 19:03:12 -0400, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>If you've forgotten your WPA password, is there a way to recover it?
>
>I'm on Windows XP wireless home network
>
>Jeff

Connect a computer to your router using an Ethernet cable and log into
the router in Internet Explorer using its IP address. For example
(substitute your router's IP address if different):

http://192.168.1.1

Go to the wireless security screen and see what the WPA password is.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

DeeJay

Take a look at Steve Winograd's reply. If the password (stored in your
router) is readable, you may not have to change it. Copy and paste will do
the job.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I thought that was what I might need to do.
>
> John wrote:
>> I don't think so. Do you have control of the router? Change the
>> password if you do.
>>
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> If you've forgotten your WPA password, is there a way to recover it?
>>>
>>> I'm on Windows XP wireless home network
>>>
>>> Jeff

Sooner Al [MVP]

As noted by the others you may need to redo the wireless encryption key and
type, etc on your network. If you do I suggest using Windows Connect Now
[WCN] and save off the configuration on a flash drive. It comes in handy if
you need to add clients (guest or otherwise) or if you simply get into a
situation like your in now.

If your wireless access point/router or clients do not support WCN you can
easily copy-n-paste the network key by opening the flash drive and
navigating to the \Smrtntky\Wsetting.txt file and copying the key to the
wireless access point/router or client.

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows - Desktop User Experience)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

Steve Winograd wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 19:03:12 -0400, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> If you've forgotten your WPA password, is there a way to recover it?
>>
>> I'm on Windows XP wireless home network
>>
>> Jeff

> Connect a computer to your router using an Ethernet cable and log into
> the router in Internet Explorer using its IP address. For example
> (substitute your router's IP address if different):
>
> http://192.168.1.1
>
> Go to the wireless security screen and see what the WPA password is.

Thank you Steve. That's the first thing I thought to do but could not find
it.

I use a Trendnet 432BRP router which is working fine in my wireless home
network. I need to add a new PC which is why I am looking for the old
password.

I went to the Trendnet's Wireless Security screen but the password is not
shown anywhere there. Just that it is a WPA-PSK, etc. I cannot find the
password visible anywhere else on its screens.

I will email their support to see if there is a way to recover it.

Thanks.

Jeff

Steve Winograd wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 19:03:12 -0400, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> If you've forgotten your WPA password, is there a way to recover it?
>>
>> I'm on Windows XP wireless home network
>>
>> Jeff

> Connect a computer to your router using an Ethernet cable and log into
> the router in Internet Explorer using its IP address. For example
> (substitute your router's IP address if different):
>
> http://192.168.1.1
>
> Go to the wireless security screen and see what the WPA password is.

Another thought:
I have 2 other Windows XP PCs that now connect automatically with this
WPA-PSK protected wireless home network. So the password is somewhere in
these 2 PCs. Is there a way to recover it from them somewhere in their
Windows XP's files?

Jeff

Don Phillipson

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:usCUOe$(E-Mail Removed)...

> I use a Trendnet 432BRP router which is working fine in my wireless home
> network. I need to add a new PC which is why I am looking for the old
> password.

Presumably when we use the XP Network Wizard to create
a floppy to add PCs to a network, WPA password is among
its functions.

> I went to the Trendnet's Wireless Security screen but the password is not
> shown anywhere there. Just that it is a WPA-PSK, etc. I cannot find the
> password visible anywhere else on its screens.

On first use my Trendnet router required me to log into
the company's web site (if only as guest/password)
in order to input new default settings. The process was
fast and error-free.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

John

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:usCUOe$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I use a Trendnet 432BRP router which is working fine in my wireless home
> network. I need to add a new PC which is why I am looking for the old
> password.
>
> I went to the Trendnet's Wireless Security screen but the password is not
> shown anywhere there. Just that it is a WPA-PSK, etc. I cannot find the
> password visible anywhere else on its screens.
>
> I will email their support to see if there is a way to recover it.

Is there any reason why the passphrase should never be changed? Wouldn't it
be quicker to change it than waiting for a reply from Trendnet? It's only a
matter of typing 8 character (or longer) passphrase, copy and paste it into
a text file stored in USB flash drive.