Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: XP SP3 is great!

Re: XP SP3 is great!

Will Spencer

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 22:14:33 +1200, I LOVE IT! wrote:

> Just updated.
>
> Big improvements in speed for all software, internet and even
> newsgroups.
>
> I am not disappointed.

That's old technology mate.

I use Vista Ultimate 64bit sp1 and it kicks arse.

-ws

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <kzddhecqn96h$(E-Mail Removed)>, Will Spencer did
write:

> I use Vista Ultimate 64bit sp1 and it kicks arse.

You paid for Vista Ultimate??

You poor kid...

Nik Coughlin

news:g60oj9$8u9$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <kzddhecqn96h$(E-Mail Removed)>, Will Spencer did
> write:
>
>> I use Vista Ultimate 64bit sp1 and it kicks arse.

> You paid for Vista Ultimate??
>
> You poor kid...

Why? Believe it or not, for a sizable group of people it meets all of their
needs as far as an OS goes.

As a caveat, I do know people who have had various driver problems, but I
haven't encountered any, I guess because I'm using fairly standard, modern,
powerful hardware.

As a power user it meets my needs more completely and with less effort on my
part than any other OS, and I've used plenty of other OSes in my time for
one reason or another. You name it, if it's not too obscure (and even then
I've used my share) then I've used it, and I have plenty of love for some of
those OSes, and there are plenty of little things about various other OSes
that I like better, they're overall they're just not as complete a package
for me.

The only real argument I can see against Vista* is that of it not being free
(I mean as in libre, not as in gratis, though of course it is neither) and
while it's a compelling one and I agree at least in theory with many of the
arguments, for me that reason is quite a bit further down the list than
"actually getting things done, and productively" when choosing an OS.

* sans compatibility issues, which don't affect me -- besides which other
OSes are *less* compatible with the software I use, and as for hardware I
personally haven't had problems, see above

Will Spencer

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 13:26:01 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> In article <kzddhecqn96h$(E-Mail Removed)>, Will Spencer did
> write:
>
>> I use Vista Ultimate 64bit sp1 and it kicks arse.

> You paid for Vista Ultimate??
>
> You poor kid...

No, Microsoft gave it to me (and hundreds of others) after attending a
Microsoft technical briefing early last year.

I also got Office Pro 2007, VS Studio 2005 Standard, SQL Server 2005
Standard, and lots of other goodies attending similar Microsoft technical
briefings over the last couple of years.

-ws

Will Spencer

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 14:20:06 +1200, Brian Mathews wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 09:53:41 +1200, Will Spencer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 22:14:33 +1200, I LOVE IT! wrote:
>>
>>> Just updated.
>>>
>>> Big improvements in speed for all software, internet and even
>>> newsgroups.
>>>
>>> I am not disappointed.

>>That's old technology mate.
>>
>>I use Vista Ultimate 64bit sp1 and it kicks arse.
>>
>>-ws

> What the Microsoft Lemon..

It's great, sorry.

-ws

Will Spencer

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 14:48:52 +1200, Nik Coughlin wrote:

> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in message
> news:g60oj9$8u9$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In article <kzddhecqn96h$(E-Mail Removed)>, Will Spencer did
>> write:
>>
>>> I use Vista Ultimate 64bit sp1 and it kicks arse.

>> You paid for Vista Ultimate??
>>
>> You poor kid...

> Why? Believe it or not, for a sizable group of people it meets all of their
> needs as far as an OS goes.

I've had less problems with Vista Ultimate 64 bit than any other OS.
In short, it's awesome.

-ws

Richard

Will Spencer wrote:

>> Why? Believe it or not, for a sizable group of people it meets all of their
>> needs as far as an OS goes.

> I've had less problems with Vista Ultimate 64 bit than any other OS.
> In short, it's awesome.

Seconded

Richard

Will Spencer wrote:

> No, Microsoft gave it to me (and hundreds of others) after attending a
> Microsoft technical briefing early last year.
>
> I also got Office Pro 2007, VS Studio 2005 Standard, SQL Server 2005
> Standard, and lots of other goodies attending similar Microsoft technical
> briefings over the last couple of years.

How do you get invited to those?

Will Spencer

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 16:55:58 +1200, Richard wrote:

> Will Spencer wrote:
>
>> No, Microsoft gave it to me (and hundreds of others) after attending a
>> Microsoft technical briefing early last year.
>>
>> I also got Office Pro 2007, VS Studio 2005 Standard, SQL Server 2005
>> Standard, and lots of other goodies attending similar Microsoft technical
>> briefings over the last couple of years.

> How do you get invited to those?

It's not on an invite basis, anyone can go. I just keep an eye out for
events on the Microsoft website.

-ws

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <g60te6$stg$(E-Mail Removed)>, Nik Coughlin did write:

> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in message
> news:g60oj9$8u9$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> In article <kzddhecqn96h$(E-Mail Removed)>, Will Spencer did
>> write:
>>
>>> I use Vista Ultimate 64bit sp1 and it kicks arse.

>> You paid for Vista Ultimate??
>>
>> You poor kid...

> Why? Believe it or not, for a sizable group of people it meets all of
> their needs as far as an OS goes.

This is _Ultimate_ we're talking about. You know, the overpriced,
underfeatured, overpromised, underdelivered super-duper version?