Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Are Nested Master Pages supported in Framework 2.0/VS 2005?

Are Nested Master Pages supported in Framework 2.0/VS 2005?

daveh551

I've seen reference to Nested Master Pages in some of the
documentation, but I haven't been successful in creating one in VS
2005 (Framework 2.0). I just did a search on it, and "How To:
Walkthrough" on Master pages listed VS 2008 and Framework 3.5 as pre-
requisites.

If I do an "Add New Item" selecting "Master Page", the "Use
MasterPage" check box is grayed out, so it won't let me create it in
VS 2005. Is there a way to "trick it"? Or is it just not supported in
the framework? (I tried creating a new Master page, and then adding
the "MasterPage="..." attribute in the head, but it didn't like that.
And I tried creating a WebForm page, then renaming it from Child.aspx
to Child.Master, and changing the "Page" in the header to "Master",
but it didn't like that either.)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Munna

Hi

Check this out

http://aspalliance.com/897_Tips_for_...DesignTime.all

"The only downside is that VS 2005 only supports nested master page
editing in source-view,
and doesn’t support it in the WYWSIWYG designer (note: obviously it
does support editing them
when the master-pages are not nested)."

Best of luck

-------
Munna

www.munna.shatkotha.com/blog
www.munna.shatkotha.com
www.shatkotha.com

daveh551

On Jul 20, 3:37 am, Munna <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Check this out
>
> http://aspalliance.com/897_Tips_for_..._and_VS_2005_D...
>
> "The only downside is that VS 2005 only supports nested master page
> editing in source-view,
> and doesn’t support it in the WYWSIWYG designer (note: obviously it
> does support editing them
> when the master-pages are not nested)."
>
> Best of luck
>
> -------
> Munna
>
> http://www.munna.shatkotha.com/blogw....shatkotha.com

Munna,

Thanks for that link. It was pretty helpful. But it's still a step
beyond where I am. Specifically, he says in the first paragraph:

>For example, you could define a top-level master-page called “MainMaster..master” that defines a >common logo header and footer, and defines a content-placeholder for the page called “content”. >You could then define two sub-masters beneath it

Okay, I do know how to define the top level master. But how, exactly,
do you define a submaster?
I've tried adding a new MasterPage item, then adding a MasterPageFile
attirbute, and it didn't seem to like that, and I've tried adding a
new aspx page, then renaming it to Child.master and changing the
"Page" attribute to "Master", and it didn't like that either.

I appreciate the help, though. At least I know it CAN be done, and I
can keep on trying.

bruce barker

the trick to remember is that master pages are just control on a page
that refers to them (they do not contain pages). so a page can refer to
master1. master1 can refer to master2 (its the content for master2), and
master2 can refer to master3 and so on.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

daveh551 wrote:
> On Jul 20, 3:37 am, Munna <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Check this out
>>
>> http://aspalliance.com/897_Tips_for_..._and_VS_2005_D...
>>
>> "The only downside is that VS 2005 only supports nested master page
>> editing in source-view,
>> and doesn’t support it in the WYWSIWYG designer (note: obviously it
>> does support editing them
>> when the master-pages are not nested)."
>>
>> Best of luck
>>
>> -------
>> Munna
>>
>> http://www.munna.shatkotha.com/blogw....shatkotha.com

> Munna,
>
> Thanks for that link. It was pretty helpful. But it's still a step
> beyond where I am. Specifically, he says in the first paragraph:
>
>> For example, you could define a top-level master-page called “MainMaster.master” that defines a >common logo header and footer, and defines a content-placeholder for the page called “content”. >You could then define two sub-masters beneath it

> Okay, I do know how to define the top level master. But how, exactly,
> do you define a submaster?
> I've tried adding a new MasterPage item, then adding a MasterPageFile
> attirbute, and it didn't seem to like that, and I've tried adding a
> new aspx page, then renaming it to Child.master and changing the
> "Page" attribute to "Master", and it didn't like that either.
>
> I appreciate the help, though. At least I know it CAN be done, and I
> can keep on trying.

daveh551

On Jul 20, 2:21 pm, bruce barker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> the trick to remember is that master pages are just control on a page
> that refers to them (they do not contain pages). so a page can refer to
> master1. master1 can refer to master2 (its the content for master2), and
> master2 can refer to master3 and so on.
>
> -- bruce (sqlwork.com)
>
> daveh551 wrote:
> > On Jul 20, 3:37 am, Munna <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> Hi

> >> Check this out

> >>http://aspalliance.com/897_Tips_for_..._and_VS_2005_D....

> >> "The only downside is that VS 2005 only supports nested master page
> >> editing in source-view,
> >> and doesn’t support it in the WYWSIWYG designer (note: obviously it
> >> does support editing them
> >> when the master-pages are not nested)."

> >> Best of luck

> >> -------
> >> Munna

> >>http://www.munna.shatkotha.com/blogw....shatkotha.com

> > Munna,

> > Thanks for that link. It was pretty helpful. But it's still a step
> > beyond where I am. Specifically, he says in the first paragraph:

> >> For example, you could define a top-level master-page called “MainMaster.master” that defines a >common logo header and footer, and defines a content-placeholder for the page called “content”. >You could then define two sub-masters beneath it

> > Okay, I do know how to define the top level master. But how, exactly,
> > do you define a submaster?
> > I've tried adding a new MasterPage item, then adding a MasterPageFile
> > attirbute, and it didn't seem to like that, and I've tried adding a
> > new aspx page, then renaming it to Child.master and changing the
> > "Page" attribute to "Master", and it didn't like that either.

> > I appreciate the help, though. At least I know it CAN be done, and I
> > can keep on trying.

Well, I did finally get this to work. Just for anyone following this
thread:

I did an "Add New Item", selecting WebForm, and told it to use the
MasterPage Master.master. But I changes the name from SubMaster.aspx
to SubMaster.master

Then I went into SubMaster.master and changed the "Page" directive at
the top to "Master", and went into SubMaster.Master.cs and changed the
class that it inherits form System.Web.UI.Page to
System.Web.UI.MasterPage.

From there on, it pretty much seems to work as expected.