Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Confused by 32 bit vs 64 bit driver info

Confused by 32 bit vs 64 bit driver info

Baysider

In the Vista 64 bit FAQ's on the MS "Help and How-to", it unequivocally
states that 64 bit drivers are required for all hardware running on a 64 bit
version of Windows. I just purchased a machine with Vista Home premium
(64-bit). I separately purchased a wireless adapter card (Linksys WMP300N)
that is (a) a 32-bit device according to the mfg spec sheet, (b) has no
64-bit driver that I can find to download, and (c) is listed as Vista x64
compatible on the Windows Logo'd Product List. These bits of info don't add
up. Can someone please explain. Also, do you think the WMP300N is going to
work with my x64 Vista?

Colin Barnhorst

"Baysider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>Also, do you think the WMP300N is going to
> work with my x64 Vista?

Try it.

N Brown

You might not need any software Vista 32 and 64 handled my Dlink Air Premier
without me installing a driver, it uses an atheros driver and works great.

"Baysider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In the Vista 64 bit FAQ's on the MS "Help and How-to", it unequivocally
> states that 64 bit drivers are required for all hardware running on a 64
> bit
> version of Windows. I just purchased a machine with Vista Home premium
> (64-bit). I separately purchased a wireless adapter card (Linksys WMP300N)
> that is (a) a 32-bit device according to the mfg spec sheet, (b) has no
> 64-bit driver that I can find to download, and (c) is listed as Vista x64
> compatible on the Windows Logo'd Product List. These bits of info don't
> add
> up. Can someone please explain. Also, do you think the WMP300N is going to
> work with my x64 Vista?

Baysider

Colin, would you recommend trying to install it as NBrown did, ie without
downloading and installing the manufacturer's drivers, seeing as how they are
identified as 32-bit drivers on the Linksys website? Ie, try a straight "Plug
and Play" install first?
"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> "Baysider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >Also, do you think the WMP300N is going to
> > work with my x64 Vista?

> Try it.

Tom Ferguson

I have seen many reports of problems with this card and Vista, 64 bit in
particular. Two install methods have been reported successful:

Install using the chip-set's generic drivers_Broadcom for the US version of
the card, I believe.

Install the card. Let it be detected and install drivers. Connect to the
Internet and go to the MS update web site and let it install an update for
the card. I would connect using a wired cars until after the update but
that's just me.

Not that I have no experience with this card at all. Just passing on some
information I read.
--

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007

"Baysider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In the Vista 64 bit FAQ's on the MS "Help and How-to", it unequivocally
> states that 64 bit drivers are required for all hardware running on a 64
> bit
> version of Windows. I just purchased a machine with Vista Home premium
> (64-bit). I separately purchased a wireless adapter card (Linksys WMP300N)
> that is (a) a 32-bit device according to the mfg spec sheet, (b) has no
> 64-bit driver that I can find to download, and (c) is listed as Vista x64
> compatible on the Windows Logo'd Product List. These bits of info don't
> add
> up. Can someone please explain. Also, do you think the WMP300N is going to
> work with my x64 Vista?

Baysider

Thanks for the tips guys. I plan to try it and will let you know how it goes.

I am still confused by the fact that this product has been certified by MS
for Vista x64. How can that happen if the manufacturer has not provided a
64-bit driver set with which to test and certify? Perhaps someone could
briefly explain the MS certification process that would permit this to occur.

Bobby Johnson

It means the drivers are included in the Vista x64
installation package; i.e, the drivers are already on your
hard drive. In other words it is "Plug-N-Play" hardware.
That's why you shouldn't need any drivers to install. It's
just like most USB memory sticks - most of the are
"Plug-N-Play" and don't need additional drivers.

Baysider wrote:
> Thanks for the tips guys. I plan to try it and will let you know how it goes.
>
> I am still confused by the fact that this product has been certified by MS
> for Vista x64. How can that happen if the manufacturer has not provided a
> 64-bit driver set with which to test and certify? Perhaps someone could
> briefly explain the MS certification process that would permit this to occur.

Baysider

To follow up, I plugged the card in and rebooted with no problems. The card
installed without a burp and went directly to the network connection screen.
Thanks for everyone's help on this.

I see my network on the list of available networks and have configured the
card (in theory) to match my network settings, but so far have not been able
to get the connection to work. I'm trying to connect to an older Linksys
WRT54G wireless router (whose firmware I have updated) and my Vista machine
is giving me the message "The capabilities of your network adapter card do
not match the requirements of this network". So I've got some more digging to
do.

Katy Pluta

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 13:52:01 -0700, Baysider
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>To follow up, I plugged the card in and rebooted with no problems. The card
>installed without a burp and went directly to the network connection screen.
>Thanks for everyone's help on this.
>
> I see my network on the list of available networks and have configured the
>card (in theory) to match my network settings, but so far have not been able
>to get the connection to work. I'm trying to connect to an older Linksys
>WRT54G wireless router (whose firmware I have updated) and my Vista machine
>is giving me the message "The capabilities of your network adapter card do
>not match the requirements of this network". So I've got some more digging to
>do.

Your router only supports 802.11b/g, your network card supports faster
802.11n so they won't talk together...

Colin Barnhorst

"Katy Pluta" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 13:52:01 -0700, Baysider
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>To follow up, I plugged the card in and rebooted with no problems. The
>>card
>>installed without a burp and went directly to the network connection
>>screen.
>>Thanks for everyone's help on this.
>>
>> I see my network on the list of available networks and have configured
>> the
>>card (in theory) to match my network settings, but so far have not been
>>able
>>to get the connection to work. I'm trying to connect to an older Linksys
>>WRT54G wireless router (whose firmware I have updated) and my Vista
>>machine
>>is giving me the message "The capabilities of your network adapter card do
>>not match the requirements of this network". So I've got some more digging
>>do.
>>

> Your router only supports 802.11b/g, your network card supports faster
> 802.11n so they won't talk together...

Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure the router would sense the
wireless router's capabilities and communicate with it fine.