Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Distributing Python App

Distributing Python App

KDawg44

Hi,

I am very new to Python but find it very interesting (from what I know
of it) and am considering writing an application. However, I have a
question regarding distribution of the app once it is done. Is there
a way to package everything a user needs to run the app or will they
have to install Python their machine? This is probably an obvious
question but most development I do is for administrative tasks on
servers and such, not usually development of an app for someone else.

Thanks for your help.

Kevin

Mike Driscoll

On Jul 18, 2:35*pm, KDawg44 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am very new to Python but find it very interesting (from what I know
> of it) and am considering writing an application. *However, I have a
> question regarding distribution of the app once it is done. *Is there
> a way to package everything a user needs to run the app or will they
> have to install Python their machine? *This is probably an obvious
> question but most development I do is for administrative tasks on
> servers and such, not usually development of an app for someone else.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Kevin

There is a variety of packaging programs. For Windows, you can use
py2app and py2exe. I think the former can also be used for Mac and
maybe Linux. If you are doing it on Windows, I would recommend
packaging it with one of those and then using something like Inno
Setup to create an installer.

Mike