Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > High Memory Usage

High Memory Usage

Clayton

I'm still trying to find out what is causing a svchost.exe to use high
amounts of memory on Vista 64
I'm not sure if it is normal but one svchost.exe is using 165,588K, I goto
services and the PID is 360 if that is any help

Thanks

Carlos

Clayton,
Here you may find some leads:
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/1...sing-services/

also some alleged solutions here:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...4a4a9902b2&p=1

Carlos
"Clayton" wrote:

> I'm still trying to find out what is causing a svchost.exe to use high
> amounts of memory on Vista 64
> I'm not sure if it is normal but one svchost.exe is using 165,588K, I goto
> services and the PID is 360 if that is any help
>
> Thanks

Robert McMillan

"Clayton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uw%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm still trying to find out what is causing a svchost.exe to use high
> amounts of memory on Vista 64
> I'm not sure if it is normal but one svchost.exe is using 165,588K, I goto
> services and the PID is 360 if that is any help
>
> Thanks

Mine uses 183,608K in Vista Business 64, but with 8GB of ram I haven't been
bothered to find out why.

Clayton

Any noticable differents having 8GB of ram instead of 4GB Rob?

"Robert McMillan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23%(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Clayton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:uw%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'm still trying to find out what is causing a svchost.exe to use high
>> amounts of memory on Vista 64
>> I'm not sure if it is normal but one svchost.exe is using 165,588K, I
>> goto services and the PID is 360 if that is any help
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> Mine uses 183,608K in Vista Business 64, but with 8GB of ram I haven't
> been bothered to find out why.

Robert McMillan

I started with 4Gb, but then decided to play with virtual machines and given
that another 4Gb was only $100 I may as well upgrade. Overall it is usefull
for running several virtual machines simultaniously but in general usage
there is probably no benefit over 2Gb ram even with all the Vista prefetch
stuff utilizing the free ram I doubt there is any significant performance
boost.

"Clayton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:exlz3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Any noticable differents having 8GB of ram instead of 4GB Rob?
>
> "Robert McMillan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%23%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Clayton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:uw%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I'm still trying to find out what is causing a svchost.exe to use high
>>> amounts of memory on Vista 64
>>> I'm not sure if it is normal but one svchost.exe is using 165,588K, I
>>> goto services and the PID is 360 if that is any help
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>

>> Mine uses 183,608K in Vista Business 64, but with 8GB of ram I haven't
>> been bothered to find out why.

Carlos

Robert,
Games usually benefit from 4 GB against 2GB.
They load and exit faster, and you can switch very quickly to the desktop
when making a pause to the game.
Carlos

"Robert McMillan" wrote:

> I started with 4Gb, but then decided to play with virtual machines and given
> that another 4Gb was only $100 I may as well upgrade. Overall it is usefull
> for running several virtual machines simultaniously but in general usage
> there is probably no benefit over 2Gb ram even with all the Vista prefetch
> stuff utilizing the free ram I doubt there is any significant performance
> boost.
>
> "Clayton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:exlz3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Any noticable differents having 8GB of ram instead of 4GB Rob?
> >
> > "Robert McMillan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:%23%(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> "Clayton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:uw%(E-Mail Removed)...

> >> Mine uses 183,608K in Vista Business 64, but with 8GB of ram I haven't
> >> been bothered to find out why.

Carlos

Colin,
This is an interesting article:
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/200...emory-better/1
Carlos

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> "Robert McMillan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I started with 4Gb, but then decided to play with virtual machines and
> >given that another 4Gb was only $100 I may as well upgrade. Overall it is
> >usefull for running several virtual machines simultaniously but in general
> >usage there is probably no benefit over 2Gb ram even with all the Vista
> >prefetch stuff utilizing the free ram I doubt there is any significant
> >performance boost.
> >
> > "Clayton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:exlz3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Any noticable differents having 8GB of ram instead of 4GB Rob?
> >>
> >> "Robert McMillan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:%23%(E-Mail Removed)...

> I have come to the conlusion that 2GB is sufficient for Vista Home Premium
> x86 but for x64 3GB is more comfortable. With Ultimate x64 I agree with HP
> that 4GB gives best performance.

Colin Barnhorst

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Colin,
> This is an interesting article:
> http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/200...emory-better/1
> Carlos
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> "Robert McMillan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I started with 4Gb, but then decided to play with virtual machines and
>> >given that another 4Gb was only $100 I may as well upgrade. Overall it
>> >is
>> >usefull for running several virtual machines simultaniously but in
>> >general
>> >usage there is probably no benefit over 2Gb ram even with all the Vista
>> >prefetch stuff utilizing the free ram I doubt there is any significant
>> >performance boost.
>> >
>> > "Clayton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:exlz3$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> I have come to the conlusion that 2GB is sufficient for Vista Home
>> Premium
>> x86 but for x64 3GB is more comfortable. With Ultimate x64 I agree with
>> HP
>> that 4GB gives best performance.

Great article, Carlos.

btw, I cannot see my own reply to Robert in my WinMail. If you hadn't
quoted it I wouldn't have known what I told him. I have a lot of replies
that just aren't showing up after I post them. Ever. What's up with that?
I don't see them using Google groups to look either. How come you can see
them and I can't? About one in ten of my replies are like that. Your reply
was my only indication that my reply ever posted to the server.

Clayton

Am I able to find any history of my memory peek?
I heard that if you are running Vista 64 it's best to have 6-8GB, I'm
running 4GB now and just doing basic things peeks to just over 2.5GB

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Colin,
> This is an interesting article:
> http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/200...emory-better/1
> Carlos
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> "Robert McMillan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I started with 4Gb, but then decided to play with virtual machines and
>> >given that another 4Gb was only $100 I may as well upgrade. Overall it
>> >is
>> >usefull for running several virtual machines simultaniously but in
>> >general
>> >usage there is probably no benefit over 2Gb ram even with all the Vista
>> >prefetch stuff utilizing the free ram I doubt there is any significant
>> >performance boost.
>> >
>> > "Clayton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:exlz3$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> I have come to the conlusion that 2GB is sufficient for Vista Home
>> Premium
>> x86 but for x64 3GB is more comfortable. With Ultimate x64 I agree with
>> HP
>> that 4GB gives best performance.

Tony Sperling

Colin, I have noticed this as well. I 've started to think it happens
sometimes when you reply from NNTP to a Web based post that is about to
expire.

But I really don't know.

I will never learn to understand how people actually prefer the Web for
this, more and more 'old-time' forums are continuously converting, even as
we communicate!

Perhaps, though, it is not so strange as relatively few people seem to
realize that Internet didn't start out being Web Based!

(Gopher, Veronica and Archie, have they joined the Dinosaurs?)

http://www.ou.edu/research/electron/...t/veronica.htm

for those who happen to not know!

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Colin,
> > This is an interesting article:
> > http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/200...emory-better/1
> > Carlos
> >
> > "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
> >
> >> "Robert McMillan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Vista

165,588K,

> >> I have come to the conlusion that 2GB is sufficient for Vista Home
> >> Premium
> >> x86 but for x64 3GB is more comfortable. With Ultimate x64 I agree

with
> >> HP
> >> that 4GB gives best performance.
> >>

> Great article, Carlos.
>
> btw, I cannot see my own reply to Robert in my WinMail. If you hadn't
> quoted it I wouldn't have known what I told him. I have a lot of replies
> that just aren't showing up after I post them. Ever. What's up with

that?
> I don't see them using Google groups to look either. How come you can see
> them and I can't? About one in ten of my replies are like that. Your

reply
> was my only indication that my reply ever posted to the server.

High memory usage Clayton Windows 64bit 2 07-12-2008 10:40 PM
High memory usage on PIX 501 Kris D ---- tehlotus@gmail.com Cisco 1 12-01-2006 02:05 AM
501 Memory Usage high ikendo Cisco 2 09-17-2006 09:52 PM
High Memory Usage aspnet_wp.exe =?Utf-8?B?RXJrYW4gVGF0bGlkaWw=?= ASP .Net 9 12-01-2005 08:49 PM
Memory leak??? (top reporting high memory usage under Solaris) Mark Probert Ruby 4 02-09-2005 06:13 PM

Advertisments