Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Embedded Text/Java Editor

Embedded Text/Java Editor

brian.vanheesch@gmail.com

I am looking for an open source text editor that I can easily embed
into my application. Basically, I need a JComponent-based text editor
I can add to a JPanel (that is, not a full IDE such as JEdit or
Eclipse

I am looking for the nice features such as:

- color syntax highlighting (based on content type)
- line number ruler
- optional folding
- optional hovering
- optional code assist

Evans

On 18 Jul, 16:49, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I am looking for an open source text editor that I can easily embed
> into my application. *Basically, I need a JComponent-based text editor
> I can add to a JPanel (that is, not a full IDE such as JEdit or
> Eclipse
>
> I am looking for the nice features such as:
>
> - color syntax highlighting (based on content type)
> - line number ruler
> - optional folding
> - optional hovering
> - optional code assist

Try http://ostermiller.org/syntax/ it has a good Java syntax
highlighter that is small enough to embed into your application. About
the rest of your requirement, am afraid, you'd need to search really
hard to find them.

HTH

--
Evans
http://www.jroller.com/evans

Roedy Green

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 08:49:51 -0700 (PDT), http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

>I am looking for an open source text editor that I can easily embed
>into my application. Basically, I need a JComponent-based text editor
>I can add to a JPanel (that is, not a full IDE such as JEdit or
>Eclipse

I did a google. There are dozens of people making requests for such a
beast but no responses. This is odd. I would have expected hundreds
of such little editors. Perhaps you should search for standalone text
editors written in Java, and talk to the authors about what could be
done to embed them.
--

Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary