Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > HELP- Desperate for ODBC Drivers

HELP- Desperate for ODBC Drivers

Turgidson

I am desperate to find out an exact recipe returning ODBC functionalit
to my new Vista 64 computer. I have hundreds of data management script
all using ODBC to grab data from Access, Excel, and Oracle files fo
analysis in Stata or SAS. But in Vista 64, I only see a driver for SQL
I was using XP x64 in my old computer, and I had a list of drivers
yard long that included all my data sources in several languages.

I need simple explicit directions to some file I can download fro
Microsoft that will install all the needed ODBC drivers and get my dat
connections back. On forums like this, I see bits and pieces of a
answer, but mostly a lot of anger over this issue.

If anyone has solved this problem, I'd appreciate the info. Thanks.

--
Turgidso

Charlie Russel - MVP

You still have ODBC drivers - but you have a mix of 32-bit an 64-bit ODBC.
When you launch the default ODBC Administrator, you only see the 64-bit
ones, a much small list. To see the 32-bit ones, yhou need to launch the
32-bit ODBC Administrator. This is found at: %windir%\SysWOW64\odbcadm.exe.

Try that and you should find what you're looking for.

Charlie.

"Turgidson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I am desperate to find out an exact recipe returning ODBC functionality
> to my new Vista 64 computer. I have hundreds of data management scripts
> all using ODBC to grab data from Access, Excel, and Oracle files for
> analysis in Stata or SAS. But in Vista 64, I only see a driver for SQL.
> I was using XP x64 in my old computer, and I had a list of drivers a
> yard long that included all my data sources in several languages.
>
> I need simple explicit directions to some file I can download from
> Microsoft that will install all the needed ODBC drivers and get my data
> connections back. On forums like this, I see bits and pieces of an
> answer, but mostly a lot of anger over this issue.
>
> If anyone has solved this problem, I'd appreciate the info. Thanks.

> Turgidson

Turgidson

Thanks. That works.

I kept looking at the one in system32, figuring it was a 32-bit
administrator. And every time I clicked on that, I got the same old
under-populated list.

I never would have suspected that the 32-bit administrator would be
under SysWOW64.

Turgidson

Charlie Russel - MVP

All 32-bit programs are in the SysWOW64 folder. Since it's the WOW64
subsystem (Windows on Windows 64-bit). And yes, it's VERY confusing. The
System32 is maintained for compatibility, one assumes.

--
Charlie.
"Turgidson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Thanks. That works.
>
> I kept looking at the one in system32, figuring it was a 32-bit
> administrator. And every time I clicked on that, I got the same old
> under-populated list.
>
> I never would have suspected that the 32-bit administrator would be
> under SysWOW64.

> Turgidson

Steve Foster [SBS MVP]

Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:

>You still have ODBC drivers - but you have a mix of 32-bit an 64-bit ODBC.
>When you launch the default ODBC Administrator, you only see the 64-bit
>ones, a much small list. To see the 32-bit ones, yhou need to launch the
>32-bit ODBC Administrator. This is found at: %windir%\SysWOW64\odbcadm.exe.

And note that 32-bit applications use the 32-bit ODBC drivers, and 64-bit
applications 64-bit ODBC.

This means that if you're using VBS scripts to do this, and they need
32-bit ODBC drivers, you'll have to run the scripts using the 32-bit VBS
executables (cscript/vscript) in the SysWOW64 folder too.

--
Steve Foster [SBS MVP]