Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: External Hard Drives: How To Carry Your Life With You (And WhyYou'd Want To)

Re: External Hard Drives: How To Carry Your Life With You (And WhyYou'd Want To)

RL

Brian Mathews wrote:
> Interesting article
>
> http://www.techwarelabs.com/articles...ge/index.shtml

On a related note... does anyone know where I can get a 5.25" SATA drive
bay with an _internal_ power supply?

There are a few IDE models around, but they are intended primariy for
optical drives, and don't have the front plate. I wish to install a hard
drive in the thing. I would prefer an aluminium case for cooling and
durability.

I would rather carry around a 5.25" case than a 3.5" case with an
external power brick. All the biths are just too much hassle.

Thanks,

RL

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Brian Mathews did
write:

> I don't think you can run a SATA externally, it has to be a ESATA..

And what is ESATA, if not SATA run externally?

Richard

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Brian Mathews did
> write:
>
>> I don't think you can run a SATA externally, it has to be a ESATA..

> And what is ESATA, if not SATA run externally?

Different electrical specs, not that it stops most ext case
manufacturers from just sticking a short flylead between a drive and the
socket on the case, same for motherboards.

Max cable length is longer in the esata spec because of the higher voltages.

Sockets different too, more robust then the flimsy crap sata one. Lost 3
drives to a broken sata plug. All old seagates, they seem to have
changed plastic now to something with a bit less glass in it so not as
brittle.

In saying that, I have a sata drive in a cheap crap passive case
connected to a backplane to sata plug adapter from deal extreme with a 2
meter esata cable and it works just fine.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarweb "Richard" typed:
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Brian
>> Mathews did write:
>>
>>> I don't think you can run a SATA externally, it has to be a ESATA..

>> And what is ESATA, if not SATA run externally?

> Different electrical specs, not that it stops most ext case
> manufacturers from just sticking a short flylead between a drive and
> the socket on the case, same for motherboards.
>
> Max cable length is longer in the esata spec because of the higher
> voltages.
> Sockets different too, more robust then the flimsy crap sata one.
> Lost 3 drives to a broken sata plug. All old seagates, they seem to
> have changed plastic now to something with a bit less glass in it so not
> as
> brittle.
>
> In saying that, I have a sata drive in a cheap crap passive case
> connected to a backplane to sata plug adapter from deal extreme with
> a 2 meter esata cable and it works just fine.

http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspeci...?ItemID=345450

Note that, although a SATA to eSATA cable/bracket is included in the package
it states in a bold font:

"For eSATA to function this device must connect to a motherboard which
supports TRUE eSATA"
--
Shaun.

me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate...

RL

Brian Mathews wrote:
> I don't think you can run a SATA externally, it has to be a ESATA..

Some pre-ESATA days motherboards shipped with plates that had internal
SATA and power connectors. I had one, but I've never used it.

What I actually meant was an external USB to SATA enclosure with an
internal power supply.

- RL

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <g5puoc$b39$(E-Mail Removed)>, Richard did write:

> Lost 3 drives to a broken sata plug. All old seagates ...

Interesting. I had one Seagate which managed to lose the plastic tab that
was providing reinforcement for the data connector wires--broke right off,
leaving the wires dangling. Luckily I was able to connect it up for long
enough to get all my data off. According to the shop, their supplier
insisted it was "customer abuse", but they were kind enough to take care of
me and swap it for a new one at no charge.

Richard

thing wrote:
> RL wrote:

>> What I actually meant was an external USB to SATA enclosure with an
>> internal power supply.
>>
>> - RL

> yeah the external power pack is really annoying....

Integrating them makes a whole lot more regulatory issues for the people
making the cases, whereas when you buy a adapter and bundle it, you can
just use the compliance of the supplied adapter rather then having to
make your own declarations of conformity like when putting a SMPS PSU
into a case with mains wiring etc.

Richard

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In article <g5puoc$b39$(E-Mail Removed)>, Richard did write:
>
>> Lost 3 drives to a broken sata plug. All old seagates ...

> Interesting. I had one Seagate which managed to lose the plastic tab that
> was providing reinforcement for the data connector wires--broke right off,
> leaving the wires dangling. Luckily I was able to connect it up for long
> enough to get all my data off. According to the shop, their supplier
> insisted it was "customer abuse", but they were kind enough to take care of
> me and swap it for a new one at no charge.

They seemed to use the same plastic that is used for the surrounds of
the old pata power plug or something similar. Was far too brittle IMO,
havent got a seagate for a while to see how much better they are now,
but the western digitals appear a bit better. Its a bloody stupid plug IMO.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <g5rrk7$j6i$(E-Mail Removed)>, Richard did write:

> Was far too brittle IMO, havent got a seagate for a while to see how much
> better they are now ...

I asked the shop about other hard-drive brands, but they said they deal
exclusively in Seagate. Given they've been good to me, I'm content to keep
dealing with them.