Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Problems while both interfaces wired and wireless available on com

Problems while both interfaces wired and wireless available on com

masani paresh

Hi,
We are using home PCs and for them both the interfaces wired and wireless
required. We found a severe problems with this configuration. It might be
related TCP stack problem or how Microsoft OS selects interface for the
outgoing packates. We have debuging a lot and we came out with the
following problem:

When both the interfaces wired and wiredless available on the computer
then computer always selects the wired interface for outgoing packates.

Because of this some of our application is not working. For example, We use
the Real VNC for taking a VNC. If we try to connects to a computer having
both interfaces then we are able to connect via wired IP address but not via
wireless IP address. This is becuase computer getting request as a SYN
packate from another machine on wireless interface but it replies via wired
Interface. Thus the machine which has put the request for connection will
discard the packates as it will assume that it did not send any packates on
that interface.

Could any one help us here to solve this problem so that comupter should
reply from the same interface from where packates arrived. I have tried to
lower the metrics for wireless interface to give the priority to it but no
luck.

Thanks,
Paresh

Phillip Windell

"masani paresh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> We are using home PCs and for them both the interfaces wired and wireless
> required. We found a severe problems with this configuration.

Yep.
Don't do it.
Never run two or more Nics on the same IP Segment at the same time unless
you are doing Nic Teaming (which you aren't). Wired -vs- wireless is
completely irrelevant, it just doesn't matter.
Disable the one you don't want to use. Wired is faster and more dependable,
it should be prefered first. Use wireless only when wired isn't available.

175767 - Expected Behavior of Multiple Adapters on Same Network

Phillip Windell
www.wandtv.com

masani paresh

Thanks for reply. Both wired and wiredless connection is required for us some
times. And these both the interfaces are not in same network. Both are having
its own network.

Let me give more details here. The source machine which is placing request
via SYN for connection on Wireless interface is getting the response packate
SYN ACK with the wireless IP but still it is discarding the packate and
sending RST packates. I think here may be MAC address is the problem. I could
see that the response packate contains Wireless IP address which comes
through wired interface but this packate dont have wireless MAC address. it
contains wired MAC address. I am not sure may be this is problem.

Moreover, I could ping wireless IP successfuly but not able to access C:
drive through \\WirelessIP\C$.. Everything is working fine through wired IP
address because it replying on wired interface only. For replying source
machine not using wireless IP interface at any point.

Thanks,
Paresh

The only problem is when

"Phillip Windell" wrote:

> "masani paresh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> > We are using home PCs and for them both the interfaces wired and wireless
> > required. We found a severe problems with this configuration.

> Yep.
> Don't do it.
> Never run two or more Nics on the same IP Segment at the same time unless
> you are doing Nic Teaming (which you aren't). Wired -vs- wireless is
> completely irrelevant, it just doesn't matter.
> Disable the one you don't want to use. Wired is faster and more dependable,
> it should be prefered first. Use wireless only when wired isn't available.
>
> 175767 - Expected Behavior of Multiple Adapters on Same Network
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;175767
>

> --
> Phillip Windell
> www.wandtv.com
>
> The views expressed, are my own and not those of my employer, or Microsoft,

Phillip Windell

"masani paresh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for reply. Both wired and wiredless connection is required for us
> some
> times.
>And these both the interfaces are not in same network. Both are having
> its own network.

> Let me give more details here. The source machine which is placing
> request
> via SYN for connection on Wireless interface is getting the response
> packate
> SYN ACK ........

Then you have a bad environment design, that I don't have any hope of
figuring out. It sounds like you have two networks running over the same
physical segment or that these "two networks" are not running different IP
Ranges like they should be. I don't know.
--
Phillip Windell
www.wandtv.com

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Can you give an example for the two IP addresses.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"masani paresh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for reply. Both wired and wiredless connection is required for us
> some
> times. And these both the interfaces are not in same network. Both are
> having
> its own network.
>
> Let me give more details here. The source machine which is placing
> request
> via SYN for connection on Wireless interface is getting the response
> packate
> SYN ACK with the wireless IP but still it is discarding the packate and
> sending RST packates. I think here may be MAC address is the problem. I
> could
> see that the response packate contains Wireless IP address which comes
> through wired interface but this packate dont have wireless MAC address.
> it
> contains wired MAC address. I am not sure may be this is problem.
>
> Moreover, I could ping wireless IP successfuly but not able to access C:
> drive through \\WirelessIP\C$.. Everything is working fine through wired
> IP
> address because it replying on wired interface only. For replying source
> machine not using wireless IP interface at any point.
>
> Thanks,
> Paresh
>

> The only problem is when
>
> "Phillip Windell" wrote:
>

>> "masani paresh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hi,
>> > We are using home PCs and for them both the interfaces wired and
>> > wireless
>> > required. We found a severe problems with this configuration.

>> Yep.
>> Don't do it.
>> Never run two or more Nics on the same IP Segment at the same time unless
>> you are doing Nic Teaming (which you aren't). Wired -vs- wireless is
>> completely irrelevant, it just doesn't matter.
>> Disable the one you don't want to use. Wired is faster and more
>> dependable,
>> it should be prefered first. Use wireless only when wired isn't
>> available.
>>
>> 175767 - Expected Behavior of Multiple Adapters on Same Network
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;175767
>>

>> --
>> Phillip Windell
>> www.wandtv.com
>>
>> The views expressed, are my own and not those of my employer, or
>> Microsoft,
>> or anyone else associated with me, including my cats.

masani paresh

Sure please note the following behaviour of our network. Please note that
everything is working fine via wired interface as both machines are in same
network via wireless but not via wireless. I also tried to disabled the the
default gateway and kept only one but no luck.

I did following tests and got the packets information using wireshark.

If I disable wireless interface then there is no use and behavior will be
same. Now I have disabled wired interface as below:

C:\route delete 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 149.77.172.10
C:\ipconfig /flushdns
C:\>route print
Interface List
0x1 ........................... MS TCP Loopback interface
0x2 ...00 1c 23 3b 32 21 ...... Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet -
Determinis
tic Network Enhancer Miniport
0x3 ...00 1f 3c 32 e3 8e ...... Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network
Connection
- Deterministic Network Enhancer Miniport
Active Routes:
Network Destination Netmask Gateway Interface Metric
0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 149.77.163.129 149.77.163.239 1
127.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 1
149.77.163.128 255.255.255.128 149.77.163.239 149.77.163.239 25
149.77.163.239 255.255.255.255 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 25
149.77.172.0 255.255.252.0 149.77.172.132 149.77.172.132 10
149.77.172.132 255.255.255.255 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 10
149.77.255.255 255.255.255.255 149.77.163.239 149.77.163.239 25
149.77.255.255 255.255.255.255 149.77.172.132 149.77.172.132 10
224.0.0.0 240.0.0.0 149.77.163.239 149.77.163.239 25
224.0.0.0 240.0.0.0 149.77.172.132 149.77.172.132 10
255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 149.77.163.239 149.77.163.239 1
255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 149.77.172.132 149.77.172.132 1
Default Gateway: 149.77.172.10
Persistent Routes: None

Now only wireless interface is there on destination machine. Now from source
machine(149.77.175.220), if I tried to do \\149.77.163.239\C$ then also I am
getting "Network path not found"(Please refer the attached snapshots of both
the machines packets trace).But still \\149.77.172.132\C$ works fine. This
will work because through wired interface communication router will not come
into the picture as both the machines(while looking as wired interface) are
in same network so they can communicate via access switch itself.

Aha...I got the exact problem now. Please see below:

When I try to do \\149.77.163.239\C$(wireless IP - this is destination
machine) from 149.77.175.220(wired IP - this is Source machine) the request
goes via local router to 149.77.163.239 because source machine will
understand that wireless IP 149.77.163.239 is not in my network. When
destination 149.77.163.239 machine got the request from 149.77.175.220, it
will understand that this machine is in my network(because of wired
149.77.172.132 IP) and it will reply via access switch. Ahaa I think now I am
right. What I want even though destination machine understand that
149.77.175.220 is in my network, it should sent a reply packet via the
interface from where packets arrived. If this is done then there will not be
any problem.

Could you suggest to make this possible so that destination machine should
reply from the interface from where request packate arrieved.

Thanks,
Paresh

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> Hi
> Can you give an example for the two IP addresses.
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "masani paresh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Thanks for reply. Both wired and wiredless connection is required for us
> > some
> > times. And these both the interfaces are not in same network. Both are
> > having
> > its own network.
> >
> > Let me give more details here. The source machine which is placing
> > request
> > via SYN for connection on Wireless interface is getting the response
> > packate
> > SYN ACK with the wireless IP but still it is discarding the packate and
> > sending RST packates. I think here may be MAC address is the problem. I
> > could
> > see that the response packate contains Wireless IP address which comes
> > through wired interface but this packate dont have wireless MAC address.
> > it
> > contains wired MAC address. I am not sure may be this is problem.
> >
> > Moreover, I could ping wireless IP successfuly but not able to access C:
> > drive through \\WirelessIP\C$.. Everything is working fine through wired
> > IP
> > address because it replying on wired interface only. For replying source
> > machine not using wireless IP interface at any point.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Paresh
> >

> > The only problem is when
> >
> > "Phillip Windell" wrote:
> >

> >> "masani paresh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>
> >> Yep.
> >> Don't do it.
> >> Never run two or more Nics on the same IP Segment at the same time unless
> >> you are doing Nic Teaming (which you aren't). Wired -vs- wireless is
> >> completely irrelevant, it just doesn't matter.
> >> Disable the one you don't want to use. Wired is faster and more
> >> dependable,
> >> it should be prefered first. Use wireless only when wired isn't
> >> available.
> >>
> >> 175767 - Expected Behavior of Multiple Adapters on Same Network
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;175767
> >>

> >> --
> >> Phillip Windell
> >> www.wandtv.com
> >>
> >> The views expressed, are my own and not those of my employer, or
> >> Microsoft,
> >> or anyone else associated with me, including my cats.
> >> -----------------------------------------------------

masani paresh

Please also note that if i remove wired interface cable then wireless IP is
starts working without any problems. but both are not wokring together.

Thanks,
Paresh

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> Hi
> Can you give an example for the two IP addresses.
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "masani paresh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Thanks for reply. Both wired and wiredless connection is required for us
> > some
> > times. And these both the interfaces are not in same network. Both are
> > having
> > its own network.
> >
> > Let me give more details here. The source machine which is placing
> > request
> > via SYN for connection on Wireless interface is getting the response
> > packate
> > SYN ACK with the wireless IP but still it is discarding the packate and
> > sending RST packates. I think here may be MAC address is the problem. I
> > could
> > see that the response packate contains Wireless IP address which comes
> > through wired interface but this packate dont have wireless MAC address.
> > it
> > contains wired MAC address. I am not sure may be this is problem.
> >
> > Moreover, I could ping wireless IP successfuly but not able to access C:
> > drive through \\WirelessIP\C$.. Everything is working fine through wired
> > IP
> > address because it replying on wired interface only. For replying source
> > machine not using wireless IP interface at any point.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Paresh
> >

> > The only problem is when
> >
> > "Phillip Windell" wrote:
> >

> >> "masani paresh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>
> >> Yep.
> >> Don't do it.
> >> Never run two or more Nics on the same IP Segment at the same time unless
> >> you are doing Nic Teaming (which you aren't). Wired -vs- wireless is
> >> completely irrelevant, it just doesn't matter.
> >> Disable the one you don't want to use. Wired is faster and more
> >> dependable,
> >> it should be prefered first. Use wireless only when wired isn't
> >> available.
> >>
> >> 175767 - Expected Behavior of Multiple Adapters on Same Network
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;175767
> >>

> >> --
> >> Phillip Windell
> >> www.wandtv.com
> >>
> >> The views expressed, are my own and not those of my employer, or
> >> Microsoft,
> >> or anyone else associated with me, including my cats.
> >> -----------------------------------------------------

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
It probably goes to whatever is the default gateway at the time.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"masani paresh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Please also note that if i remove wired interface cable then wireless IP
> is
> starts working without any problems. but both are not wokring together.
>
> Thanks,
> Paresh
>
> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> Can you give an example for the two IP addresses.
>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>
>> "masani paresh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Thanks for reply. Both wired and wiredless connection is required for
>> > us
>> > some
>> > times. And these both the interfaces are not in same network. Both are
>> > having
>> > its own network.
>> >
>> > Let me give more details here. The source machine which is placing
>> > request
>> > via SYN for connection on Wireless interface is getting the response
>> > packate
>> > SYN ACK with the wireless IP but still it is discarding the packate and
>> > sending RST packates. I think here may be MAC address is the problem. I
>> > could
>> > see that the response packate contains Wireless IP address which comes
>> > through wired interface but this packate dont have wireless MAC
>> > address.
>> > it
>> > contains wired MAC address. I am not sure may be this is problem.
>> >
>> > Moreover, I could ping wireless IP successfuly but not able to access
>> > C:
>> > drive through \\WirelessIP\C$.. Everything is working fine through
>> > wired
>> > IP
>> > address because it replying on wired interface only. For replying
>> > source
>> > machine not using wireless IP interface at any point.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Paresh
>> >

>> > The only problem is when

masani paresh

Hi Jack,
I think you did not read following update. I have also tried after deleting
wired interface defauld gateway. Please see below:
--------

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> Hi
> It probably goes to whatever is the default gateway at the time.
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>
> "masani paresh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Please also note that if i remove wired interface cable then wireless IP
> > is
> > starts working without any problems. but both are not wokring together.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Paresh
> >
> > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >> Can you give an example for the two IP addresses.
> >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
> >>
> >> "masani paresh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

masani paresh

I think this problem is nothing to do with an our network architecture but
its related to packate forwarding rules.** If machine replies on the
interface from where packate arrieves then there will not be any problem.**
Could any one please let me know if this is happening in Microsoft TCP stack?

Here it is giving priority over local lan over wireless and the problem is
arised.

Thanks,
Paresh