Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Getting youtube

Re: Getting youtube

Geopelia

"waituke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you are using vista and Internet explorer. That may be your
> problem. I cannot get youtube using internet explorer but have no
> problems with Firefox 3
> Ciao
> waituke

No, I have XP and Internet Explorer 6 I got a message a few days ago about
a missing video feed, but I only saw that once so think it may have been a
temporary problem.
I don't know how to check if the feed is there now.

Thank you
Geopelia

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <g5p5lj$g65$(E-Mail Removed)>, Geopelia wrote:

> ...I have ... Internet Explorer 6

Why are you still using IE6?

Geopelia

news:g5pagu$q9i$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In message <g5p5lj$g65$(E-Mail Removed)>, Geopelia wrote:
>
>> ...I have ... Internet Explorer 6

> Why are you still using IE6?

I think I've got IE7. I have Outlook Express 6.

I had a look at the control panel, and My Computer, but couldn't find which
it was.

But Java is on the control panel, so it looks as if I have already got it
installed.
So why doesn't youtube work?

It's a mystery to me.

Thank you.
Geopelia

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <g5q19n$os3$(E-Mail Removed)>, Geopelia did write:

> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in message
> news:g5pagu$q9i$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> In message <g5p5lj$g65$(E-Mail Removed)>, Geopelia wrote:
>>
>>> ...I have ... Internet Explorer 6

>> Why are you still using IE6?

> I think I've got IE7.

OK, that's better. Though you may like to give Firefox a try.

> But Java is on the control panel, so it looks as if I have already got it
> installed.
> So why doesn't youtube work?
>
> It's a mystery to me.

I'm pretty sure you don't need Java for YouTube, just a reasonably recent
version of Flash. What about other Flash-intensive sites--do they work?

Enkidu

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In article <g5q19n$os3$(E-Mail Removed)>, Geopelia did write:
>
>> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in message
>> news:g5pagu$q9i$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Why are you still using IE6?

>> I think I've got IE7.

> OK, that's better. Though you may like to give Firefox a try.
>
>> But Java is on the control panel, so it looks as if I have already got it
>> installed.
>> So why doesn't youtube work?
>>
>> It's a mystery to me.

> I'm pretty sure you don't need Java for YouTube, just a reasonably recent
> version of Flash. What about other Flash-intensive sites--do they work?

You do need Java*Script* though. The OP is confused.

Cheers,

Cliff

--

"I LOVE IT!!" - someone on a newsgroup, somewhere.

Geopelia

"Enkidu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:488164d5$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>> In article <g5q19n$os3$(E-Mail Removed)>, Geopelia did write:
>>
>>> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in
>>> message
>>> news:g5pagu$q9i$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> I think I've got IE7.

>> OK, that's better. Though you may like to give Firefox a try.
>>
>>> But Java is on the control panel, so it looks as if I have already got
>>> it
>>> installed.
>>> So why doesn't youtube work?
>>>
>>> It's a mystery to me.

>> I'm pretty sure you don't need Java for YouTube, just a reasonably recent
>> version of Flash. What about other Flash-intensive sites--do they work?
> >

> You do need Java*Script* though. The OP is confused.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff
>
> --

Confused? I barely know my mouse from my modem. That's why I ask the kind
folks here to help me.

What other Flash-intensive sites would I have? I can't see anything on All
Programs from the Start menu, or in the control panel.
I've got Adobe Flash Player 9.0.124.0 Is there something there I ought to
click?

Thank you

Geopelia

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <g5rqsc$fnc$(E-Mail Removed)>, Geopelia did write:

> What other Flash-intensive sites would I have?

Another video site I know of is metacafe.com. Also there are some ad-laden
sites I visit, but I'm not sure I should inflict those on you.

Richard

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In article <g5rqsc$fnc$(E-Mail Removed)>, Geopelia did write:
>
>> What other Flash-intensive sites would I have?

> Another video site I know of is metacafe.com. Also there are some ad-laden
> sites I visit, but I'm not sure I should inflict those on you.

vimeo.com is the best video site I have found sofar, they recomress
things so they are actually watchable, and support 16:9 - unlike youtube
who are really stuck in the past with their offerings.

oh, and vimeos player will fullscreen when embedded, unlike youtube.