Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Irfanview freeware bug? Batch JPEG lossless autorotation. Large directory failure consistent

Reply
Thread Tools

Irfanview freeware bug? Batch JPEG lossless autorotation. Large directory failure consistent

 
 
Susan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-18-2008
Can you reproduce this WinXP Irfanview v4.10 bug?

1. Start with a large directory of JPEG files (at least a few hundred
pictures, say about 400 or 500 from a normal photo shoot). These must have
a few files that are not rotated yet, but which have the proper Exif tags.

2. Select all 500 files with Irvanview "File->Thumbnails->Options->Select
All" and then press "File->JPEG Lossless Operations->Lossless Rotation With
Selected Files->Auto Rotate (according to Exif orientation, if
available)->Optimize JPG File->Apply original Exif date/time to new
file->Keep all APP markers (default)".

3. Every time I do this, only the first hundred or two hundred pictures are
rotated; the rest seem to not be touched. If I select a hundred pictures at
a time (slow at best in the Irfanview thumbnail viewer), then, over
successive operations, I can manage to auto-rotate the entire set.

This looks/smells/tastes either like user error (but where?) or a
previously unknown bug in Irfanview.

Can another confirm that Irfanview batch lossless autorotation by Exif tags
fails to run on all selected files for large numbers of files?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Matt Ion
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-18-2008
Susan wrote:
> Can you reproduce this WinXP Irfanview v4.10 bug?
>
> 1. Start with a large directory of JPEG files (at least a few hundred
> pictures, say about 400 or 500 from a normal photo shoot). These must have
> a few files that are not rotated yet, but which have the proper Exif tags.
>
> 2. Select all 500 files with Irvanview "File->Thumbnails->Options->Select
> All" and then press "File->JPEG Lossless Operations->Lossless Rotation With
> Selected Files->Auto Rotate (according to Exif orientation, if
> available)->Optimize JPG File->Apply original Exif date/time to new
> file->Keep all APP markers (default)".
>
> 3. Every time I do this, only the first hundred or two hundred pictures are
> rotated; the rest seem to not be touched. If I select a hundred pictures at
> a time (slow at best in the Irfanview thumbnail viewer), then, over
> successive operations, I can manage to auto-rotate the entire set.
>
> This looks/smells/tastes either like user error (but where?) or a
> previously unknown bug in Irfanview.
>
> Can another confirm that Irfanview batch lossless autorotation by Exif tags
> fails to run on all selected files for large numbers of files?


Have you emailed Irfan about this? In my experience, he's very
responsive to questions and bug reports (as much as his schedule allows
him to be, anyway).
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Steve
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-18-2008

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 23:11:43 -0700, Matt Ion <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Susan wrote:
>> Can you reproduce this WinXP Irfanview v4.10 bug?
>>
>> 1. Start with a large directory of JPEG files (at least a few hundred
>> pictures, say about 400 or 500 from a normal photo shoot). These must have
>> a few files that are not rotated yet, but which have the proper Exif tags.
>>
>> 2. Select all 500 files with Irvanview "File->Thumbnails->Options->Select
>> All" and then press "File->JPEG Lossless Operations->Lossless Rotation With
>> Selected Files->Auto Rotate (according to Exif orientation, if
>> available)->Optimize JPG File->Apply original Exif date/time to new
>> file->Keep all APP markers (default)".
>>
>> 3. Every time I do this, only the first hundred or two hundred pictures are
>> rotated; the rest seem to not be touched. If I select a hundred pictures at
>> a time (slow at best in the Irfanview thumbnail viewer), then, over
>> successive operations, I can manage to auto-rotate the entire set.
>>
>> This looks/smells/tastes either like user error (but where?) or a
>> previously unknown bug in Irfanview.
>>
>> Can another confirm that Irfanview batch lossless autorotation by Exif tags
>> fails to run on all selected files for large numbers of files?

>
>Have you emailed Irfan about this? In my experience, he's very
>responsive to questions and bug reports (as much as his schedule allows
>him to be, anyway).


I have seen bugs similar to this with programs that use the MFC
CFileDialog class.

Steve
 
Reply With Quote
 
Sachin Garg
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-18-2008

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Don't know. I have replaced 4.1 with 4.2. Give it a try.

>
> Be careful. All links from the Irfanview site that direct you to
> iview42_setup.exe, (version 4.2) contain this virus
>
>
> http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/viru...AK_Generic.001


That is not a virus. Just an alert that the executable is 'compressed'. My
opinion is that trendmicro should not have panicked in this case.

Sachin Garg [India]
www.sachingarg.com | www.imagecompression.info | www.rawzor.com


 
Reply With Quote
 
hummingbird
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-18-2008

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 15:39:20 -0400 '(E-Mail Removed)'
wrote this on alt.comp.freeware:

>>Don't know. I have replaced 4.1 with 4.2. Give it a try.

>
>Be careful. All links from the Irfanview site that direct you to
>iview42_setup.exe, (version 4.2) contain this virus
>
>
>http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/viru...AK_Generic.001


And your evidence for this is.............?


--
"All truth passes through three stages.
First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed,
and third, it is accepted as self-evident"
(Arthur Schopenhauer)
 
Reply With Quote
 
Blinky the Shark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-18-2008
Sachin Garg wrote:

>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>Don't know. I have replaced 4.1 with 4.2. Give it a try.

>>
>> Be careful. All links from the Irfanview site that direct you to
>> iview42_setup.exe, (version 4.2) contain this virus
>>
>>
>> http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/viru...AK_Generic.001

>
> That is not a virus. Just an alert that the executable is 'compressed'. My
> opinion is that trendmicro should not have panicked in this case.


Great -- more FUD regarding a great piece of software (IrfanView).


--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org
Need a new news feed? http://blinkynet.net/comp/newfeed.html

 
Reply With Quote
 
me@mine.net
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-18-2008
On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 17:06:14 -0400, in rec.photo.digital http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
wrote:


>No. What it is saying is that this particular file is possibly
>infected because it has characteristics that are suspicious.
>It has yet to be determined by Trend Micro if it actually is a
>virus.


Then bozo why did you EXPLICITLY state the following?

>Be careful. All links from the Irfanview site that direct you to
>iview42_setup.exe, (version 4.2) contain this virus

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 
Reply With Quote
 
me@mine.net
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-18-2008
On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 15:39:20 -0400, in rec.photo.digital (E-Mail Removed)
wrote:

>Be careful. All links from the Irfanview site that direct you to
>iview42_setup.exe, (version 4.2) contain this virus


 
Reply With Quote
 
hummingbird
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-18-2008

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 17:12:04 -0400 '(E-Mail Removed)'
wrote this on alt.comp.freeware:

>On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 22:09:00 +0100, hummingbird
><hummingbird@127.0.0.1> wrote:
>
>>
>>On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 15:39:20 -0400 '(E-Mail Removed)'
>>wrote this on alt.comp.freeware:
>>
>>>>Don't know. I have replaced 4.1 with 4.2. Give it a try.
>>>
>>>Be careful. All links from the Irfanview site that direct you to
>>>iview42_setup.exe, (version 4.2) contain this virus
>>>
>>>
>>>http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/viru...AK_Generic.001

>>
>>And your evidence for this is.............?

>
>A Virus scanner, 2008 Trend Micro



Well it's wrong. Run your IV v4.20 setup through jotti
and it comes up fine and that webservice includes Trend Micro.


--
"All truth passes through three stages.
First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed,
and third, it is accepted as self-evident"
(Arthur Schopenhauer)
 
Reply With Quote
 
Blinky the Shark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-19-2008
tnom wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 18:14:28 -0400, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 17:06:14 -0400, in rec.photo.digital (E-Mail Removed)
>>wrote:
>>
>>
>>>No. What it is saying is that this particular file is possibly
>>>infected because it has characteristics that are suspicious.
>>>It has yet to be determined by Trend Micro if it actually is a
>>>virus.

>>
>>Then bozo why did you EXPLICITLY state the following?
>>
>>>Be careful. All links from the Irfanview site that direct you to
>>>iview42_setup.exe, (version 4.2) contain this virus

>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> Because Trend Micro alerted me to a Virus and suggested to not
> download the file.


"Possibly infected" (your second explanation) is not the same as "contain
the virus" (your first bit of FUD).


--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org
Need a new news feed? http://blinkynet.net/comp/newfeed.html

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: JPEG 9 new lossless JPEG standard Martin Brown Digital Photography 16 02-13-2013 12:45 PM
Re: JPEG 9 new lossless JPEG standard David Dyer-Bennet Digital Photography 0 01-23-2013 03:44 AM
Re: JPEG 9 new lossless JPEG standard nick c Digital Photography 0 01-22-2013 11:29 PM
lossless batch processing of jpeg pictures (os x) pierre lemercier Digital Photography 4 03-28-2008 05:12 PM
What does OPTIMIZATION do for the IrfanView JPEG lossless transformation plugin? Joy Digital Photography 4 05-23-2007 04:08 AM



Advertisments