Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > US price, vs NZ price

US price, vs NZ price

djdickjonson

Ah yes, near the end of another work night.

HP 7650 scanner, in New Zealand, costs $1645 inc GST from pricespy.

Amazon USA , sell the same scanner for $550 NZD, and , that price
includes FREE SHIPPING!!

Now, why does it cost 3 times more to buy this inside NZ? The great NZ
ripoff is why.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
djdickjonson did write:

> Now, why does it cost 3 times more to buy this inside NZ? The great NZ
> ripoff is why.

Who's ripping you off? There's nobody stopping you from importing it direct
from the US, if you want.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarweb
"texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom. ." typed:
> On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 08:19:37 -0700 (PDT), djdickjonson
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Now, why does it cost 3 times more to buy this inside NZ? The great
>> NZ ripoff is why.

> Ever looked at the price of shipping plus marine insurance et al?
> Not cheap! Handling, distribution etc etc...

And yet the chances are that these things are made in Asia, closer to us
than to the US.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate...

Mutlley

"~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Somewhere on teh intarweb
>"texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom.. " typed:
>> On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 08:19:37 -0700 (PDT), djdickjonson
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Now, why does it cost 3 times more to buy this inside NZ? The great
>>> NZ ripoff is why.

>> Ever looked at the price of shipping plus marine insurance et al?
>> Not cheap! Handling, distribution etc etc...

>And yet the chances are that these things are made in Asia, closer to us
>than to the US.
>
>Cheers,

Perfect example of NZ rip of from yesterdays NZ herald The new 80Gig
PS3 will sell in the US for NZ$519. The current 40Gig model sells
here for NZ$800.

AppleTV has a similar mark up thow it's vertually unless here..

EMB

djdickjonson wrote:
> Ah yes, near the end of another work night.
>
> HP 7650 scanner, in New Zealand, costs $1645 inc GST from pricespy.
>
> Amazon USA , sell the same scanner for $550 NZD, and , that price
> includes FREE SHIPPING!!
>
> Now, why does it cost 3 times more to buy this inside NZ? The great NZ
> ripoff is why.

It is due in part to the greater margins needed by both retailers and
importers to cover their liabilities under legislation such as the CGA.

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 13:27:00 +1200, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>djdickjonson wrote:
>> Ah yes, near the end of another work night.
>>
>> HP 7650 scanner, in New Zealand, costs $1645 inc GST from pricespy.
>>
>> Amazon USA , sell the same scanner for $550 NZD, and , that price
>> includes FREE SHIPPING!!
>>
>> Now, why does it cost 3 times more to buy this inside NZ? The great NZ
>> ripoff is why.

>It is due in part to the greater margins needed by both retailers and
>importers to cover their liabilities under legislation such as the CGA.

Yep, NZ does have tougher warranties etc than in the US where it's not unusual to have only a 3
month warranty. Need more? Buy it!

Cath

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 12:35:15 +1200, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Somewhere on teh intarweb
>"texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom.. " typed:
>> On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 08:19:37 -0700 (PDT), djdickjonson
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Now, why does it cost 3 times more to buy this inside NZ? The great
>>> NZ ripoff is why.

>> Ever looked at the price of shipping plus marine insurance et al?
>> Not cheap! Handling, distribution etc etc...

>And yet the chances are that these things are made in Asia, closer to us
>than to the US.
>
>Cheers,

Most likely is the case! COSCO is just one container shipping company that has volumes of goods
unimaginable by many kiwis, coming to the US from Asia. My last container from NZ was shipped to
Yokohama, Japan by COSCO then onto a second ship to CA. Actually arrived days before it was
supposed to [as a result the customs clearance company I was using got caught and had to do an
urgent online filing].

Cath

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 05:40:31 +1200, Puddle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>djdickjonson wrote:
>> Ah yes, near the end of another work night.
>>
>> HP 7650 scanner, in New Zealand, costs $1645 inc GST from pricespy.
>>
>> Amazon USA , sell the same scanner for $550 NZD, and , that price
>> includes FREE SHIPPING!!
>>
>> Now, why does it cost 3 times more to buy this inside NZ? The great NZ
>> ripoff is why.

>I just returned from 6 months of living in the San Joaquin valley. I
>was amazed at how cheap the US is compared to NZ, from books that are a
>1/4 of the price to gas at 1/2 price, electronics, well nearly
>everything.. the only thing I found that wasn't was meat.

Depends on what you buy!

Sure if you want filet mignon, t-bone etc you are going to pay.

But if you care to invest in 1] a vac sealer unit; and 2] a crock pot or pressure cooker, you can
buy the likes of shoulder roast for under US$2 a pound. Chicken and even pork is extremely cheap.
The idea is to watch the supermarkets weekly flyers for specials, buy, bag and freeze...
Hamburger - it depends on what % fat you buy i.e. the leaner the more expensive. From memory, I
pay about US$14 for a 10lb block.

I know when we get back, not being able to have affordable salad veggies available year round is
going to hit me! I eat lots of salads each week - packaged 3 x romaine heads for 2.50, tomatoes
this week on sale 88c lb [the heat has killed my own off]; cukes abt 40c each [again heat has killed
mine off], etc etc.. Big pkts of spring onions for $1.

> Add to that >their larger salaries and Americans have a pretty easy going life
>compared to NZ'ers. I of course went crazy with the shopping over
>there!

Don't we all!!!!

> I also note that things like GPS units which are very cheap
>over there, sell at very expensive prices here in NZ and not only that
>but are for the old models!!

texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom..

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 08:19:37 -0700 (PDT), djdickjonson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Ah yes, near the end of another work night.
>
>HP 7650 scanner, in New Zealand, costs $1645 inc GST from pricespy.
>
>Amazon USA , sell the same scanner for $550 NZD, and , that price
>includes FREE SHIPPING!!

Is that to NZ or a US address?

>Now, why does it cost 3 times more to buy this inside NZ? The great NZ
>ripoff is why.

Ever looked at the price of shipping plus marine insurance et al?
Not cheap! Handling, distribution etc etc...

I needed a scanner with ADF last year and bought a HP 5590 for under US$100 refurbished.
I nearly bought another at the same time and regret I didn't.
Came with the 240v adapter as well.
Basically it appears the same as the 7650...

Used it to copy medical records etc and would be lucky to use it once a month now!

Cath

Peter Huebner

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom.. says...

> Ever looked at the price of shipping plus marine insurance et al?
> Not cheap! Handling, distribution etc etc...

The price of shipping one scanner is high. The price of
shipping a container full of scanners becomes cheap, per unit.
That's the problem for people sourcing one-offs. Plus many
products don't have global warranties, and that's another put-
off. Regardless of that, I purchased and had shipped a digicam
in Canada 10 years ago at just over half price NZ, landed, and
I get certain food supplements landed here at 1/3 of the nz
retail price and that's including airmail to my house. Go
figure.

so: I QUITE agree that some importers/agents/distributors are
really really ripping us off.
It was only the influx of cheap Jap car imports for instance
that nearly instantly brought the price of Euro cars way way
down, compared to what they had been before.

-P.