Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > question about 'remote storage'

question about 'remote storage'

gormand53@yahoo.co.uk

I wonder if anyone here can advise me on a rather unusual problem.

I'm being harrassed by antisocial teenagers in my neighbourhood, and
the police can't help me because I don't know their names or where
they live. And there are never any adults around whom I can point them
out to.

It looks as if the only solution is for me to get either photos or
video of them, and show that to the police.

I don't have a camcorder, but I do have a digital camera that can take
video footage. And things have got so bad, I'd even consider buying a
camcorder, if it helps to get these people caught.

But the main problem is this: these teenagers are such a bad lot,
there's every chance that they'd take the camera off me, so I'd be no
further forward.

So what I'm looking for is a fairly cheap way of taking photos or
video in such a way that it's instantly transmitted to a remote
storage device, such as my PC, so that even if they take my camera,
the evidence will be safe.

All the harassment is taking place less than a quarter of a mile from
my home, so there's no great transmission distance involved here.

Ideally, I'd like a system that can be always ready, because I never
know when I'm going to bump into these yobs.

I should mention also that although I can get onto the Internet via
public computers, my home PC isn't on the Net.

I'd be extremely grateful for any advice I can get on this. These yobs
are glorying in the thought that they can't be traced, and I'd love to
prove them wrong!

John

Good luck with this one. I had a very similar experience a few years ago
and the police would not accept digital photos or web-cam footage at
all! I was told that they would only accept film footage as it could not
have been tampered with like digital can!

Regards,
John.

ray

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 04:11:50 -0700, gormand53 wrote:

> I wonder if anyone here can advise me on a rather unusual problem.
>
> I'm being harrassed by antisocial teenagers in my neighbourhood, and the
> police can't help me because I don't know their names or where they
> live. And there are never any adults around whom I can point them out
> to.
>
> It looks as if the only solution is for me to get either photos or video
> of them, and show that to the police.
>
> I don't have a camcorder, but I do have a digital camera that can take
> video footage. And things have got so bad, I'd even consider buying a
> camcorder, if it helps to get these people caught.
>
> But the main problem is this: these teenagers are such a bad lot,
> there's every chance that they'd take the camera off me, so I'd be no
> further forward.
>
> So what I'm looking for is a fairly cheap way of taking photos or video
> in such a way that it's instantly transmitted to a remote storage
> device, such as my PC, so that even if they take my camera, the evidence
> will be safe.
>
> All the harassment is taking place less than a quarter of a mile from my
> home, so there's no great transmission distance involved here.
>
> Ideally, I'd like a system that can be always ready, because I never
> know when I'm going to bump into these yobs.
>
> I should mention also that although I can get onto the Internet via
> public computers, my home PC isn't on the Net.
>
> I'd be extremely grateful for any advice I can get on this. These yobs
> are glorying in the thought that they can't be traced, and I'd love to
> prove them wrong!

If it happens with any degree of predictability I'd talk with the police
folk about a 'sting' operation - they could actually catch them in the act.

michael adams

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I wonder if anyone here can advise me on a rather unusual problem.
>
> I'm being harrassed by antisocial teenagers in my neighbourhood, and
> the police can't help me because I don't know their names or where
> they live. And there are never any adults around whom I can point them
> out to.

How do you mean "harrassed" what exactly are they doing ?

And you do know of course, although its a hard lesson to learn
and maybe a blow to your pride, that the best way of ensuring
you continue get harrassed, is by responding to it in any way.

If people discover you're easy to "wnd-up" then there are some sad
people with empty lives who will simply turn winding you up into their
latest hobby.

That is, until an easier mark, an easier person to wind-up comes
along.

I'm assuming they're not actually using physical violence.

Your reference to "adults " there would suggest to me that you're
only just an adult yourself. Although there again, trying to guess
peoples ages based on Usenet posts is maybe the easiet way of falling
flat on your face.

> It looks as if the only solution is for me to get either photos or
> video of them, and show that to the police.
>
> I don't have a camcorder, but I do have a digital camera that can take
> video footage. And things have got so bad, I'd even consider buying a
> camcorder, if it helps to get these people caught.
>
> But the main problem is this: these teenagers are such a bad lot,
> there's every chance that they'd take the camera off me, so I'd be no
> further forward.
>
> So what I'm looking for is a fairly cheap way of taking photos or
> video in such a way that it's instantly transmitted to a remote
> storage device, such as my PC, so that even if they take my camera,
> the evidence will be safe.
>
> All the harassment is taking place less than a quarter of a mile from
> my home, so there's no great transmission distance involved here.
>
> Ideally, I'd like a system that can be always ready, because I never
> know when I'm going to bump into these yobs.
>
> I should mention also that although I can get onto the Internet via
> public computers, my home PC isn't on the Net.
>
> I'd be extremely grateful for any advice I can get on this. These yobs
> are glorying in the thought that they can't be traced, and I'd love to
> prove them wrong!

No they're glorying in the thought that they can wind you up. As things
stand there will always be more of the same where they came from, whatever
you do. Many of them come from large families for a start.

Unless you sincerely wish to devote the rest of your life - your entire
waking hours quite possibly to an anti-yob campaign - for no actual reward
or benefit at the end of it - as everyone else will be more than happy to let
"you make a stand" - and make yourself even more of a target, then go
ahead. Although you may also end up having to move at the end of it.

Basically if the area you live in is on the slide, your options are
rather limited.

Otherwise just let them discover that you're no longer as easy to wind up
as you were before, and they'll soon turn their attentions elsewhere.

michael adams