Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Practical applications on C++

Practical applications on C++

anchitgood@gmail.com

Hey, i have to prepare my training report on C++, but I couldn't find
any satisfactory names of practical applications that are developed
using C++. Can u suggest any?

alasham.said@gmail.com

On Jul 17, 11:11 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hey, i have to prepare my training report on C++, but I couldn't find
> any satisfactory names of practical applications that are developed
> using C++. Can u suggest any?

Hello,

It is hard to believe that you have done a thorough research. In any
case:

http://www.research.att.com/~bs/applications.html

Regards.

ManicQin

On Jul 17, 11:11*am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hey, i have to prepare my training report on C++, but I couldn't find
> any satisfactory names of *practical applications that are developed
> using C++. Can u suggest any?

Are you for real?
Maybe I didn't understand your question correctly,
Are you looking for an example for systems that
were coded in C++?

Or are you looking for systems that Could ONLY
be written in C++?

Mirco Wahab

Andy Champ wrote:
>> Hey, i have to prepare my training report on C++, but I couldn't find
>> any satisfactory names of practical applications that are developed
>> using C++. Can u suggest any?

> Well I don't want to make you look too far, or at something you won't
> have seen. How about Windows?

If you think of Windows 5 (2000/XP), than
that's almost entirely written in C, only
some marginal modules are written in C++.

Regards

M.

Stefan Ram

On Jul 18, 12:50*am, Mirco Wahab <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > Well I don't want to make you look too far, or at something you won't
> > have seen. *How about Windows?

> If you think of Windows 5 (2000/XP), than
> that's almost entirely written in C, only
> some marginal modules are written in C++.

It's a problem identifying system that were written in C++.
You can use a C++ compiler without using templates\classes.
You can use a C++ compiler without using OO.
So what is considered a "pure" C++ system?
I know that most of the systems in my company are
Hybrids of C++ and C how can you classify them?

James Kanze

On Jul 20, 9:03 am, ManicQin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jul 18, 12:50 am, Mirco Wahab <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > Well I don't want to make you look too far, or at
> > > something you won't have seen. How about Windows?

> > If you think of Windows 5 (2000/XP), than
> > that's almost entirely written in C, only
> > some marginal modules are written in C++.

> It's a problem identifying system that were written in C++.
> You can use a C++ compiler without using templates\classes.
> You can use a C++ compiler without using OO.
> So what is considered a "pure" C++ system?
> I know that most of the systems in my company are
> Hybrids of C++ and C how can you classify them?

As hybrids of C++ and C?

I'm not sure what all this business of "if you don't use X, it's
not C++" is supposed to mean. That <vector> isn't C++, because
it doesn't use polymorphism? C++ provides a very large number
of features, to support many different paradigms. If you don't
use some feature, because some other paradigm is more
appropriate for the problem, you're still using C++.

ManicQin

On Jul 20, 10:58*am, James Kanze <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I'm not sure what all this business of "if you don't use X, it's
> not C++" is supposed to mean. *That <vector> isn't C++, because
> it doesn't use polymorphism? *C++ provides a very large number
> of features, to support many different paradigms. *If you don't
> use some feature, because some other paradigm is more
> appropriate for the problem, you're still using C++.

I agree with you but what I meant is if I write:
//snip
#include <stdio.h>
void main()
{
printf("hello world");
}
//
and compiling it in an c++ compiler is it a c++ program or a c? (I
gave a bit exaggerated example)
it's a c syntax but c++ will have no problem compiling it (except the
void main() warning )

Mirco Wahab

ManicQin wrote:
> I agree with you but what I meant is if I write:
> //snip
> #include <stdio.h>
> void main()
> {
> printf("hello world");
> }
> //
> and compiling it in an c++ compiler is it a c++ program or a c? (I
> gave a bit exaggerated example)
> it's a c syntax but c++ will have no problem compiling it (except the
> void main() warning )

I'd use the heuristic approach: If you save this to manicqin.c,
then it's clearly a C program. Use manicqin.cpp, manicqin.cxx
or manicqin.cc - and I'd sure count it as a C++ program and
evaluate it as C++. Wouldn't you too?

Regards & scnr

Mirco

ManicQin

On Jul 22, 1:58*pm, Mirco Wahab <(E-Mail Removed)-halle.de> wrote:

> I'd use the heuristic approach: If you save this to manicqin.c,
> then it's clearly a C program. Use manicqin.cpp, manicqin.cxx
> or manicqin.cc - and I'd sure count it as a C++ program and
> evaluate it as C++. Wouldn't you too?
>
> Regards & scnr
>
> Mirco

If I save it as a .cs can I call it C#? I'm just kidding.
With no other approach coming to my mind I will have to agree.