Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Data Entry Form

Data Entry Form

dguilbault

Ok, I'm stumped. I can't find any examples of how to create a simple data
entry form, using standard controls, like textboxes.

Every example of databinding I've found is using datagrids, etc.

I though I found good examples on www.learnvisualstudio.net, but it looks
like their stuff is for 1.1, not 2.0

I just want to create a simple data entry form connected to a database that
is free form, not in a grid.

Lloyd Sheen

"dguilbault" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ok, I'm stumped. I can't find any examples of how to create a simple data
> entry form, using standard controls, like textboxes.
>
> Every example of databinding I've found is using datagrids, etc.
>
> I though I found good examples on www.learnvisualstudio.net, but it looks
> like their stuff is for 1.1, not 2.0
>
> I just want to create a simple data entry form connected to a database
> that
> is free form, not in a grid.

Go to www.asp.net/learn. There are a ton of videos there and well done.

LS

dguilbault

Yeah, as I suspected, everything is in either a datagrid or a repeater.

Is there no way to just put a textbox on a web page and bind it to a
datasource?

This CAN'T be this hard!

"Lloyd Sheen" wrote:

> "dguilbault" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Ok, I'm stumped. I can't find any examples of how to create a simple data
> > entry form, using standard controls, like textboxes.
> >
> > Every example of databinding I've found is using datagrids, etc.
> >
> > I though I found good examples on www.learnvisualstudio.net, but it looks
> > like their stuff is for 1.1, not 2.0
> >
> > I just want to create a simple data entry form connected to a database
> > that
> > is free form, not in a grid.

> Go to www.asp.net/learn. There are a ton of videos there and well done.
>
> LS

sloan

I ~think~ you can bind to a single object like this:

Keywords
Binding
DataBindings.Add
BindingContext

However, you'll have to experiment in asp.net.

Here is kind of an example:
http://dotnetfire.com/news.aspx?newsID=3097

or here
http://www.15seconds.com/issue/040614.htm

I think you can do asp.net, I just don't remember 100%.

"dguilbault" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ok, I'm stumped. I can't find any examples of how to create a simple data
> entry form, using standard controls, like textboxes.
>
> Every example of databinding I've found is using datagrids, etc.
>
> I though I found good examples on www.learnvisualstudio.net, but it looks
> like their stuff is for 1.1, not 2.0
>
> I just want to create a simple data entry form connected to a database
> that
> is free form, not in a grid.

randy.buchholz

Create a datasource and text boxs, dropdowns etc. Select the datasource and
in the property window select insert query.
Make sure you have selected the insert, etc box on the datasource config.
Your insert should look like: insert xxx(f1, f2, f3) values @f1, @f2, @f3

on the insert query tab in properties you shoud see a list of all of the @'s
if not hit refresh. select a parameter and select control from the parameter
source. A new dd will open and you can select the control you want to bind
to . do the same for your update query. That's all you need to do. I
usually drop a 3 column html table and put the controls in the center cells,
the title on the left and validators on the right. I try to avoid placing
any html in my aspx files, but haven't found a reliable way to align things
in any asp.net control. Layout is usually rendered as a table anyway so it
really doesn't matter, but by avoiding html I have been able to generate
aspx files from my case tool eaisily. Adding html makes it much more
difficult. With themes and stylesheets you can do anything you want without
(usually) any htnl in your aspx.