Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Tomcat does not start after update

Reply
Thread Tools

Tomcat does not start after update

 
 
Oliver Hirschi
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-16-2008
Hi

Since a Java or a MacOSX update, my Tomcat 6.0.14 does not start on my
MacOSX Server 10.4.11. There comes always the followed message into
catalina.out:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
org/apache/commons/digester/Rule
at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredConstructors0(Native Method)
at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredConstructors(Cla ss.java:2357)
at java.lang.Class.getConstructor0(Class.java:2671)
at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Class.java:321)
at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:303)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstr ap.java:127)

The current java version is 1.5.0_13

Can anybody help?

Thanks & Regards,
Oliver Hirschi

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Arne Vajh°j
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-17-2008
Oliver Hirschi wrote:
> Since a Java or a MacOSX update, my Tomcat 6.0.14 does not start on my
> MacOSX Server 10.4.11. There comes always the followed message into
> catalina.out:
>
> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
> org/apache/commons/digester/Rule
> at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredConstructors0(Native Method)
> at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredConstructors(Cla ss.java:2357)
> at java.lang.Class.getConstructor0(Class.java:2671)
> at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Class.java:321)
> at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:303)
> at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstr ap.java:127)
>
> The current java version is 1.5.0_13


Fact:

Tomcat can not find the class org.apache.commons.digester.Rule
anywhere in classpath.

Speculation:

Due to some classpath messup it is looking for the class
org.apache.commons.digester.Rule which is in commons-digester.jar
instead of for org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Rule which is
in tomcat-coyote.jar !

Arne
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
John B. Matthews
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-17-2008
In article <487ea846$0$90272$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Arne Vajh°j <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Oliver Hirschi wrote:
> > Since a Java or a MacOSX update, my Tomcat 6.0.14 does not start on my
> > MacOSX Server 10.4.11. There comes always the followed message into
> > catalina.out:
> >
> > Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
> > org/apache/commons/digester/Rule
> > at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredConstructors0(Native Method)
> > at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredConstructors(Cla ss.java:2357)
> > at java.lang.Class.getConstructor0(Class.java:2671)
> > at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Class.java:321)
> > at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:303)
> > at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstr ap.java:127)
> >
> > The current java version is 1.5.0_13

>
> Fact:
>
> Tomcat can not find the class org.apache.commons.digester.Rule
> anywhere in classpath.
>
> Speculation:
>
> Due to some classpath messup it is looking for the class
> org.apache.commons.digester.Rule which is in commons-digester.jar
> instead of for org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Rule which is
> in tomcat-coyote.jar !


Arne's on to something. I downloaded Tomcat 6.0.14 to Mac OS X 10.4.11
(PPC):

<http://archive.apache.org/dist/tomca.../apache-tomcat
-6.0.14.tar.gz>

All the org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.* classes are in
$CATALINA_HOME/lib/tomcat-coyote.jar. There is no commons-digester.jar,
and org.apache.commons.digester.Rule is not in any jar in $CATALINA_HOME.

You might check your $CATALINA_HOME setting and your Java version
preferences in /Applications/Utilities/Java.

--
John B. Matthews
trashgod at gmail dot com
home dot woh dot rr dot com slash jbmatthews
 
Reply With Quote
 
Oliver Hirschi
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-17-2008
"John B. Matthews" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <487ea846$0$90272$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Arne Vajh°j <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Oliver Hirschi wrote:
>> > Since a Java or a MacOSX update, my Tomcat 6.0.14 does not start
>> > on my
>> > MacOSX Server 10.4.11. There comes always the followed message
>> > into
>> > catalina.out:
>> >
>> > Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
>> > org/apache/commons/digester/Rule
>> > at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredConstructors0(Native Method)
>> > at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredConstructors(Cla ss.java:2357)
>> > at java.lang.Class.getConstructor0(Class.java:2671)
>> > at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Class.java:321)
>> > at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:303)
>> > at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstr ap.java:127)
>> >
>> > The current java version is 1.5.0_13

>>
>> Fact:
>>
>> Tomcat can not find the class org.apache.commons.digester.Rule
>> anywhere in classpath.
>>
>> Speculation:
>>
>> Due to some classpath messup it is looking for the class
>> org.apache.commons.digester.Rule which is in commons-digester.jar
>> instead of for org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Rule which is
>> in tomcat-coyote.jar !

>
> Arne's on to something. I downloaded Tomcat 6.0.14 to Mac OS X
> 10.4.11
> (PPC):
>
> <http://archive.apache.org/dist/tomca.../apache-tomcat
> -6.0.14.tar.gz>
>
> All the org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.* classes are in
> $CATALINA_HOME/lib/tomcat-coyote.jar. There is no
> commons-digester.jar,
> and org.apache.commons.digester.Rule is not in any jar in
> $CATALINA_HOME.


And your Tomcat starts correctly? Which java version are you using?
Also 1.5.0_13?

>
> You might check your $CATALINA_HOME setting and your Java version
> preferences in /Applications/Utilities/Java.


By starting Tomcat (bin/startup.sh) the print out is:

Using CATALINA_BASE: /Library/tomcat
Using CATALINA_HOME: /Library/tomcat
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /Library/tomcat/temp
Using JRE_HOME:
/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5/Home

This seems to be good, or not?

Thanks again, Oli


 
Reply With Quote
 
Oliver Hirschi
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-17-2008

"Arne Vajh°j" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:487ea846$0$90272$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Oliver Hirschi wrote:
>> Since a Java or a MacOSX update, my Tomcat 6.0.14 does not start on
>> my
>> MacOSX Server 10.4.11. There comes always the followed message into
>> catalina.out:
>>
>> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
>> org/apache/commons/digester/Rule
>> at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredConstructors0(Native Method)
>> at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredConstructors(Cla ss.java:2357)
>> at java.lang.Class.getConstructor0(Class.java:2671)
>> at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Class.java:321)
>> at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:303)
>> at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstr ap.java:127)
>>
>> The current java version is 1.5.0_13

>
> Fact:
>
> Tomcat can not find the class org.apache.commons.digester.Rule
> anywhere in classpath.
>
> Speculation:
>
> Due to some classpath messup it is looking for the class
> org.apache.commons.digester.Rule which is in commons-digester.jar
> instead of for org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Rule which is
> in tomcat-coyote.jar !


Hi Arne

I typed into Terminal "echo $CLASSPATH", but there coms a blank line,
so it seems no classpath is set as environment variable.

I also tested
System.out.println(System.getProperty("java.class. path")); in a
test-class and so the output was:
..:/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Classes/.compatibility/14compatibility.jar

So it seems the classpath is set correct or isn't it?

By starting Tomcat (bin/startup.sh) the print out is:

Using CATALINA_BASE: /Library/tomcat
Using CATALINA_HOME: /Library/tomcat
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /Library/tomcat/temp
Using JRE_HOME:
/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5/Home

This seems also to be good, or not?

Thanks again, Oli

 
Reply With Quote
 
John B. Matthews
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-17-2008
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Oliver Hirschi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "John B. Matthews" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

[...]
> > I downloaded Tomcat 6.0.14 to Mac OS X 10.4.11 (PPC):
> >

<http://archive.apache.org/dist/tomca.../apache-tomcat
-6.0.14.tar.gz>
> >
> > All the org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.* classes are in
> > $CATALINA_HOME/lib/tomcat-coyote.jar. There is no
> > commons-digester.jar, and org.apache.commons.digester.Rule is not
> > in any jar in $CATALINA_HOME.

>
> And your Tomcat starts correctly? Which java version are you using?
> Also 1.5.0_13?


Yes, and yes.

$ java -version
java version "1.5.0_13"

> > You might check your $CATALINA_HOME setting and your Java version
> > preferences in /Applications/Utilities/Java.

>
> By starting Tomcat (bin/startup.sh) the print out is:
>
> Using CATALINA_BASE: /Library/tomcat
> Using CATALINA_HOME: /Library/tomcat
> Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /Library/tomcat/temp
> Using JRE_HOME:
> /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5/Home
>
> This seems to be good, or not?


$ bin/startup.sh
Using CATALINA_BASE: /Users/Shared/tomcat
Using CATALINA_HOME: /Users/Shared/tomcat
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /Users/Shared/tomcat/temp
Using JRE_HOME: /Library/Java/Home

You might look at your $JAVA_HOME, although your path worked fine here.
Also check the links to the current version. Check the java.library.path
(/Library/Java/Extensions & /System/Library/Java/Extensions in
particular) for recent additions. Also, examine the tomcat logs.

--
John B. Matthews
trashgod at gmail dot com
home dot woh dot rr dot com slash jbmatthews
 
Reply With Quote
 
Arne Vajh°j
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-18-2008
Oliver Hirschi wrote:
> "Arne Vajh°j" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:487ea846$0$90272$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Oliver Hirschi wrote:
>>> Since a Java or a MacOSX update, my Tomcat 6.0.14 does not start on my
>>> MacOSX Server 10.4.11. There comes always the followed message into
>>> catalina.out:
>>>
>>> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
>>> org/apache/commons/digester/Rule
>>> at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredConstructors0(Native Method)
>>> at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredConstructors(Cla ss.java:2357)
>>> at java.lang.Class.getConstructor0(Class.java:2671)
>>> at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Class.java:321)
>>> at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:303)
>>> at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstr ap.java:127)
>>>
>>> The current java version is 1.5.0_13

>>
>> Fact:
>>
>> Tomcat can not find the class org.apache.commons.digester.Rule
>> anywhere in classpath.
>>
>> Speculation:
>>
>> Due to some classpath messup it is looking for the class
>> org.apache.commons.digester.Rule which is in commons-digester.jar
>> instead of for org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Rule which is
>> in tomcat-coyote.jar !


> I typed into Terminal "echo $CLASSPATH", but there coms a blank line,
> so it seems no classpath is set as environment variable.
>
> I also tested
> System.out.println(System.getProperty("java.class. path")); in a
> test-class and so the output was:
> .:/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Classes/.compatibility/14compatibility.jar
>
> So it seems the classpath is set correct or isn't it?


For a Java SE app. Servers like Tomcat use a classloader hierarchy
and what is in classpath can be more complex. You should check
all the jar files in the Tomcat tree for digester stuff.

Also check the extension dirs.

Arne
 
Reply With Quote
 
John B. Matthews
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-19-2008
In article <487feded$0$90266$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Arne Vajh°j <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Oliver Hirschi wrote:
> > "Arne Vajh°j" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > news:487ea846$0$90272$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Oliver Hirschi wrote:
> >>> Since a Java or a MacOSX update, my Tomcat 6.0.14 does not start on my
> >>> MacOSX Server 10.4.11. There comes always the followed message into
> >>> catalina.out:
> >>>
> >>> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
> >>> org/apache/commons/digester/Rule
> >>> at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredConstructors0(Native Method)
> >>> at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredConstructors(Cla ss.java:2357)
> >>> at java.lang.Class.getConstructor0(Class.java:2671)
> >>> at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Class.java:321)
> >>> at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:303)
> >>> at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstr ap.java:127)
> >>>
> >>> The current java version is 1.5.0_13
> >>
> >> Fact:
> >>
> >> Tomcat can not find the class org.apache.commons.digester.Rule
> >> anywhere in classpath.
> >>
> >> Speculation:
> >>
> >> Due to some classpath messup it is looking for the class
> >> org.apache.commons.digester.Rule which is in commons-digester.jar
> >> instead of for org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Rule which is
> >> in tomcat-coyote.jar !

>
> > I typed into Terminal "echo $CLASSPATH", but there coms a blank line,
> > so it seems no classpath is set as environment variable.
> >
> > I also tested
> > System.out.println(System.getProperty("java.class. path")); in a
> > test-class and so the output was:
> > .:/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Classes/.compat
> > ibility/14compatibility.jar
> >
> > So it seems the classpath is set correct or isn't it?

>
> For a Java SE app. Servers like Tomcat use a classloader hierarchy
> and what is in classpath can be more complex. You should check
> all the jar files in the Tomcat tree for digester stuff.


Arne make a good point. Try:

find . -name '*.jar' -exec jar tvf {} \; | grep -i digester

> Also check the extension dirs.


They're in the system property named java.ext.dirs:

/Library/Java/Extensions:/System/Library/Java/Extensions:/System/Library/
Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Home/lib/ext

--
John B. Matthews
trashgod at gmail dot com
home dot woh dot rr dot com slash jbmatthews
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tomcat 5 runs what Tomcat 4 doesn't after modifying WEB.XML vunet.us@gmail.com Java 5 04-18-2007 12:41 AM
PC does not start and does not turn off sean Computer Support 3 12-28-2006 10:37 AM
Toshiba A15 S1292 laptop does not start after fdisk ramachandran.balu@gmail.com Computer Support 4 11-26-2005 11:28 PM
Tomcat 5.028 Struts problem - struts-config.xml does not start with a "/" character Aleksandar Matijaca Java 2 09-19-2004 03:52 PM
How does tomcat re-start?? Mr. Steve R. Burrus Java 0 09-11-2004 08:30 PM



Advertisments