Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > chatting through jsp

Reply
Thread Tools

chatting through jsp

 
 
iceman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-16-2008
i want to design a s/w that could be used to chat on the
internet..........
i thaught of sending html pages to clients using their responce
objects......but the problem is that they are created only

when a request comes in....and also their scope could not be
explicitly controlled..................
maybe i could send messages to the client using their IP
addresses.....
ofcourse without their requesting for it.....
any other idea ia also welcome......
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Alex.From.Ohio.Java@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-16-2008
On Jul 16, 2:28 am, iceman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> i want to design a s/w that could be used to chat on the
> internet..........
> i thaught of sending html pages to clients using their responce
> objects......but the problem is that they are created only
>
> when a request comes in....and also their scope could not be
> explicitly controlled..................
> maybe i could send messages to the client using their IP
> addresses.....
> ofcourse without their requesting for it.....
> any other idea ia also welcome......


Really cool idea, iceman!
And what will be listening for such request?
If that could be possible then hackers don't need to spend any efforts
to write viruses, trojans or other malicious software.
Just go directly to the computer and do whatever you want to do.

Alex.
http://www.myjavaserver.com/~alexfromohio/
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Andrew Thompson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-21-2008
On Jul 21, 9:54*pm, Lew <com.lewscanon@lew> wrote:
> Sabine Dinis Blochberger wrote:
> > iceman wrote:

>
> >> i want to design a s/w that could be used to chat on the
> >> internet..........
> >> i thaught of sending html pages to clients using their responce
> >> objects......but the problem is that they are created only

>
> >> when a request comes in....and also their scope could not be
> >> explicitly controlled..................
> >> maybe i could send messages to the client using their IP
> >> addresses.....
> >> ofcourse without their requesting for it.....
> >> any other idea ia also welcome......

>
> > You don't need to reinvent this wheel. If you're so inclined, have a
> > look at the following XMPP solution:
> > <http://zeank.in-berlin.de/jsjac/> - it's an AJAX XMPP client for use in
> > web browsers. You will need a XMPP server on the other side, though, why
> > not <http://www.igniterealtime.org/projects/openfire/index.jsp>

>
> > In any case, at <http://www.jabber.org/> you can find many alternatives..

>
> I can't say that it's the best, or the worst, or anything in between, but
> OpenFire works well, installs readily and has yet to crash unexpectedly for
> me. *The only gotcha was that I have to specify JAVA_HOME on the command line
> when I sudo..


Uhh.. 'sudo'? Was that a typo., or am I more
drunk than I suspected(/deserve)?

>.. the startup, on this Ubuntu box.


OK - I've heard of Ubuntu - I'm not *that* ignorant!

--
Andrew Thompson
http://pscode.org/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lew
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-21-2008
On Jul 21, 8:19*am, Andrew Thompson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jul 21, 9:54*pm, Lew <com.lewscanon@lew> wrote:
>
>
>
> > Sabine Dinis Blochberger wrote:
> > > iceman wrote:

>
> > >> i want to design a s/w that could be used to chat on the
> > >> internet..........
> > >> i thaught of sending html pages to clients using their responce
> > >> objects......but the problem is that they are created only

>
> > >> when a request comes in....and also their scope could not be
> > >> explicitly controlled..................
> > >> maybe i could send messages to the client using their IP
> > >> addresses.....
> > >> ofcourse without their requesting for it.....
> > >> any other idea ia also welcome......

>
> > > You don't need to reinvent this wheel. If you're so inclined, have a
> > > look at the following XMPP solution:
> > > <http://zeank.in-berlin.de/jsjac/> - it's an AJAX XMPP client for use in
> > > web browsers. You will need a XMPP server on the other side, though, why
> > > not <http://www.igniterealtime.org/projects/openfire/index.jsp>

>
> > > In any case, at <http://www.jabber.org/> you can find many alternatives.

>
> > I can't say that it's the best, or the worst, or anything in between, but
> > OpenFire works well, installs readily and has yet to crash unexpectedly for
> > me. *The only gotcha was that I have to specify JAVA_HOME on the command line
> > when I sudo..

>
> Uhh.. 'sudo'? *Was that a typo., or am I more
> drunk than I suspected(/deserve)?


The latter.

> >.. the startup, on this Ubuntu box.

>
> OK - I've heard of Ubuntu - I'm not *that* ignorant!


'sudo' is the command to run a command with root (or other user)
privileges. Ubuntu doesn't actually let you log in directly as root;
you have to prefix a command with 'sudo' and give a password to run
certain commands. OpenFire needed strong access to certain
directories so I start it with a 'sudo JAVA_HOME=/opt/java/java
openfire.sh start' command, or something like that. (I'm not near
that box now to check.)

--
Lew
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mark Space
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-22-2008
Lew wrote:

>
> 'sudo' is the command to run a command with root (or other user)
> privileges. Ubuntu doesn't actually let you log in directly as root;


For those more familiar with traditional Unix systems, sudo is like the
'su' sommand -- switch user or super-user. Unlike su, sudo runs a
command instead of giving you a shell. sudo is supposed to be safer
since it prevents accidental changes due to typos and such.

sudo has been around for a while and I think is available on all the
'nix's now.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lars Enderin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-22-2008
Mark Space wrote:
> Lew wrote:
>
>>
>> 'sudo' is the command to run a command with root (or other user)
>> privileges. Ubuntu doesn't actually let you log in directly as root;

>
> For those more familiar with traditional Unix systems, sudo is like the
> 'su' sommand -- switch user or super-user. Unlike su, sudo runs a
> command instead of giving you a shell. sudo is supposed to be safer
> since it prevents accidental changes due to typos and such.
>

If you use sudo to start an xterm, for example, you can type new
commands as root without the sudo prefix. In my Ubuntu there is also a
root terminal utility.
 
Reply With Quote
 
John B. Matthews
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-22-2008
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Lew <com.lewscanon@lew> wrote:

> Lars Enderin wrote:
> > Mark Space wrote:
> >> Lew wrote:
> >>
> >>>
> >>> 'sudo' is the command to run a command with root (or other user)
> >>> privileges. Ubuntu doesn't actually let you log in directly as root;
> >>
> >> For those more familiar with traditional Unix systems, sudo is like
> >> the 'su' sommand -- switch user or super-user. Unlike su, sudo runs a
> >> command instead of giving you a shell. sudo is supposed to be safer
> >> since it prevents accidental changes due to typos and such.
> >>

> > If you use sudo to start an xterm, for example, you can type new
> > commands as root without the sudo prefix. In my Ubuntu there is also a
> > root terminal utility.

>
> Since 'sh' (or 'bash') is a command, as 'xterm' is, it can be sudoed. Thus
> 'sudo' sacrifices none of the power of 'su'. The "root terminal utility" is
> nothing more nor less than the "terminal utility".


Indeed, sudo -s offers a convenient way to invoke your defined shell,
with the attendant risk. The benefits of sudo lie somewhat more in
sudoers, which allows unprivileged users to execute well-defined,
privileged commands. See the sudoers manual, for example,

<http://www.gratisoft.us/sudo/man/sudoers.html>

[Sorry this is OT for the thread, but I think it's apropos to Java
programming generally.]

--
John B. Matthews
trashgod at gmail dot com
home dot woh dot rr dot com slash jbmatthews
 
Reply With Quote
 
thufir
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-23-2008
On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 05:19:19 -0700, Andrew Thompson wrote:

>> I can't say that it's the best, or the worst, or anything in between,
>> but OpenFire works well, installs readily and has yet to crash
>> unexpectedly for me. *The only gotcha was that I have to specify
>> JAVA_HOME on the command line when I sudo..

>
> Uhh.. 'sudo'? Was that a typo., or am I more drunk than I
> suspected(/deserve)?



Maybe more linux related, so take there, but, why are you mucking with
JAVA_HOME? That should be configured in ubuntu when you run sudo (you're
no more drunk than usual, Andrew) and configure Java.



-Thufir
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[JSP] difference between jsp:forward and jsp:include alexjaquet@gmail.com Java 0 06-02-2006 01:21 PM
XML in chatting software Sameer Shinde via JavaKB.com Java 1 05-06-2005 03:37 PM
XML in chatting software Sameer Java 1 03-30-2005 09:53 AM
About Polling Chat Server (Personal Chatting) Sameer Java 0 02-13-2005 05:27 PM
best way to do some sort of a chatting between two hosts Sunil Java 1 02-09-2004 08:04 AM



Advertisments