Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Laptop for Web, Mail, & Music

Laptop for Web, Mail, & Music

cybercat

You folks were so helpful when I needed to buy a desktop, I thought I'd get
your input before I buy my first new laptop.

I need it mostly for trips out of town, for checking mail and Internet, and
it would be nice if it had decent speakers that don't sound tinny. (I am not
an audiophile, all I know is that the old Compaq I bought used reallys
sounded like *&%$.)

Most important is a strong wireless capability (and I know much of that has
nothing to do with the laptop, but what should I look for to avoid problems
connecting, if anything? I see numbers next to "wireless" on the TD and Dell
web sites but don't know what they mean, you get me?) I want to spend less
than a grand. So we are talking budget laptop. (I do not game.)

Gotta buy this week as I have a trip coming too soon for ensured shipping by
the time I leave. We have a Tiger Direct nearby, I hate them but will use
them if need be. (Hate their snotty sales staff, mostly, and just the
general noise of the stores.) Otherwise it is Best Buy or maybe Staples.

Any ideas would be much appreciated. I have been looking at Acer Aspire
models, the price grabs me and they also have pretty big hard drives and
nice amounts of memory. Fast and cheap, if possible, is what I would like.
Thank you.

cybercat

"Alex Clayton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :

> For that price if you want new, you will have to go PC, which means Win.
> Vista. All of them now will have wireless, speakers are not going to sound
> like much at all, but they will all have headphone jacks and an EQ. Since
> it will be Vista you wants gobs of RAM, and DO NOT get Vista basic. Either
> Home Premium, Ultimate, or business are what you want. At min 2 Gig of Ram
> that can be expanded. I just bought this one that has a Pentium Dual-core
> and 3 Gig of RAM for $499.00. HP Presario. It runs fine. Every week
> someone has one on sale.

Thanks for the input! I had not thought about a headset, that makes sense. I
had
an HP Pavilion desk top for years, the last dt I replaced, so I am used to
HP. Sure
wish I could find one with XP already on it.