Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > wireless setup query

wireless setup query

John

"Person" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Phillip Windell
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>>"Person" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>> Disabled & then removed bridging but still couldn't access the Internet.
>>> Had to type my wireless mac address onto my router settings then it
>>> worked.

>>Ok. That means you have MAC filtering enabled on the device and you had
>>not
>>entered the correct MACs to the allow list. That was effectively your
>>trouble all along.
>>

> It wasn't a case of incorrect MAC -

Oh really? That's how it sounds to me. What was it then?

> It was just that I hadn't entered the wireless details of the laptop.

What exactly is "wireless details" of the laptop? Where did you enter the
"details" into?

> Just had the MAC of the laptop entered.

So, there's a laptop MAC and a laptop "wireless details" that you must enter
into something (router?). I've never heard of the latter.

> I was just surprised that I had to enter it in the first place to
> communicate with my router.

No you wouldn't have to if MAC filter is disabled (the default MAC filter
setting is disabled).

> Though that just by entering the wep keys should be enough to get me
> connected.

It is. MAC filter is just a P.I.T.A. Bump up your security to (at least) WPA
with a long and hard to guess shared key. Disable the rest such as: MAC
filter, hide SSID etc.

> --
> Des

Person

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Phillip Windell
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>"Person" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> entered. I was just surprised that I had to enter it in the first place
>> to communicate with my router.

>You wouldn't. That is my point. You have MAC Filtering enabled,...which
>normally isn't. When it is enabled you have to give it a list of allowed
>MACs or nothing works. Disable the filtering, and MACs become irrelevant,
>which is the normal way since large LANs don't want to inventory all the
>MACs and try to keep the Allow List current for hundreds of machines on
>possibly multiple wireless devices.

OK - thankyou
--
Des

Person

In message <O#(E-Mail Removed)>, John <a@?.?.invalid>
writes

>It is. MAC filter is just a P.I.T.A. Bump up your security to (at least) WPA
>with a long and hard to guess shared key. Disable the rest such as: MAC
>filter, hide SSID etc.

I have an ipaq hp4150 that will only work using wep security

--
Des

DeeJay

"Person" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In message <O#(E-Mail Removed)>, John <a@?.?.invalid>
> writes
>>
>>It is. MAC filter is just a P.I.T.A. Bump up your security to (at least)
>>WPA
>>with a long and hard to guess shared key. Disable the rest such as: MAC
>>filter, hide SSID etc.
>>

> I have an ipaq hp4150 that will only work using wep security

Have you upgraded the firmware? 4150 supports WPA according to this:

Is this the correct firmware?
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...5&mode=4&idx=3

> --
> Des

Person

In message <e1CR
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)>, DeeJay <(E-Mail Removed)>
writes

>"Person" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> I have an ipaq hp4150 that will only work using wep security

Recently upgraded firmware to 1.10. To be honest I've not tried WPA
since the upgrade (will try later today). One other question that I'd
like to ask is that a couple of years ago I used to be able to use SKYPE
on this pda. Had a few problems with the machine earlier this year and
lost most of the things I had installed. Tried to re-install skype but
the pda comes up with 'not a valid windows setup or file? Tried all
sorts of download methods but it seems that the latest skype doesn't
support hp4150 (wm2003). Is this correct and is there a place that I
could download an earlier version of skype?

Thanks

>Have you upgraded the firmware? 4150 supports WPA according to this:
>http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=3458

Will try later today

--
Des

Person

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, DeeJay
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Have you upgraded the firmware? 4150 supports WPA according to this:
>http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=3458
>
>Is this the correct firmware?
>http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...escription.jsp
>?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=215348&prodSeriesId=349 042&swItem=PSG_I21894-1
>06143&prodNameId=349044&swEnvOID=2008&swLang=8&ta skId=135&mode=4&idx=3
>
>> --
>> Des

Changed to wpa

Works Ok