Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Does Sigma HSM work the Same Way as USM

Does Sigma HSM work the Same Way as USM

panabiker

The reason I ask is that I found my new Sigma HSM lens would not allow
manual focus unless the AF switch is off. I thought one of the
advantages of USM or HSM is that you can always manually focus the
lens regardless of AF function. This is certainly the case on all my
USM lenses, even the cheap ones.

Fred Anonymous

"panabiker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The reason I ask is that I found my new Sigma HSM lens would not allow
> manual focus unless the AF switch is off. I thought one of the
> advantages of USM or HSM is that you can always manually focus the
> lens regardless of AF function. This is certainly the case on all my
> USM lenses, even the cheap ones.

Hello.

Sounds like a Sigma design thing. I had a Sigma macro where manual focus
needed to move a switch and a focusing ring whereas on the Canon macro it
was just one switch.

Regards, Ian.

Paul Furman

panabiker wrote:
> The reason I ask is that I found my new Sigma HSM lens would not allow
> manual focus unless the AF switch is off. I thought one of the
> advantages of USM or HSM is that you can always manually focus the
> lens regardless of AF function. This is certainly the case on all my
> USM lenses, even the cheap ones.

My Sigma 12-24 doesn't have a manual focus switch.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Jeff R.

Paul Furman wrote:
> panabiker wrote:
>> The reason I ask is that I found my new Sigma HSM lens would not
>> allow manual focus unless the AF switch is off. I thought one of the
>> advantages of USM or HSM is that you can always manually focus the
>> lens regardless of AF function. This is certainly the case on all my
>> USM lenses, even the cheap ones.

> My Sigma 12-24 doesn't have a manual focus switch.

FWIW, my Tokina 12-24 does, but it's flipped by sliding the focus ring
forwards or backwards. Can be missed pretty easily.

--
Jeff R.

me@mine.net

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 11:46:15 +1000, in rec.photo.digital "Jeff R."
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Paul Furman wrote:
>> panabiker wrote:
>>> The reason I ask is that I found my new Sigma HSM lens would not
>>> allow manual focus unless the AF switch is off. I thought one of the
>>> advantages of USM or HSM is that you can always manually focus the
>>> lens regardless of AF function. This is certainly the case on all my
>>> USM lenses, even the cheap ones.

>> My Sigma 12-24 doesn't have a manual focus switch.

>FWIW, my Tokina 12-24 does, but it's flipped by sliding the focus ring
>forwards or backwards. Can be missed pretty easily.

But the Tokina doesn't have it's own focus motor (USM/HSM/etc), it
uses the cameras screw drive.

Jeff R.

> On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 11:46:15 +1000, in rec.photo.digital "Jeff R."
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Paul Furman wrote:
>>>
>>> My Sigma 12-24 doesn't have a manual focus switch.

>> FWIW, my Tokina 12-24 does, but it's flipped by sliding the focus
>> ring forwards or backwards. Can be missed pretty easily.

> But the Tokina doesn't have it's own focus motor (USM/HSM/etc), it
> uses the cameras screw drive.

Oh.
Forgive my ignorance.
'fraid I don't dwell on these mechanics.

Carry on...

--
Jeff R.

Fred Anonymous

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 11:46:15 +1000, in rec.photo.digital "Jeff R."
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Paul Furman wrote:
>>>
>>> My Sigma 12-24 doesn't have a manual focus switch.

>>FWIW, my Tokina 12-24 does, but it's flipped by sliding the focus ring
>>forwards or backwards. Can be missed pretty easily.

> But the Tokina doesn't have it's own focus motor (USM/HSM/etc), it
> uses the cameras screw drive.

The Tokina lenses for use with Cano bodies must have their own motors as
there is no screw drive from Canon bodies to the lenses.

Regards, Ian.