Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Can't upgrade from 64-bit Home-Premium to 64-bit Ultimate?

Can't upgrade from 64-bit Home-Premium to 64-bit Ultimate?

speb

Hello:

I first attempted to upgrade from 64-bit Vista Home Premium to
64-bit Vista Ultimate. After trying, it disabled the option and only
let me do an install.
So I enter my key in twice more. add another dummy option to
the boot menu and attempt to do an install. I go to select the
the drive to install. and the "Next" button is disabled. It tells me
that I have to start it from a drive with a valid windows installation,
which I can assure you my C:\ drive is.
So I just reboot and repeat this procedure 2 more times with
the same result, except I now have 2 more dummy boot options
in the boot menu.
What am I doing wrong and how can I fix the boot menu?
I paid almost $200 for the Ultimate Upgrade with SP1. I
don't want it to be a complete waste.

Thanks in advance:
Michael

Colin Barnhorst

"speb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello:
>
> I first attempted to upgrade from 64-bit Vista Home Premium to
> 64-bit Vista Ultimate. After trying, it disabled the option and only
> let me do an install.
> So I enter my key in twice more. add another dummy option to
> the boot menu and attempt to do an install. I go to select the
> the drive to install. and the "Next" button is disabled. It tells me
> that I have to start it from a drive with a valid windows installation,
> which I can assure you my C:\ drive is.
> So I just reboot and repeat this procedure 2 more times with
> the same result, except I now have 2 more dummy boot options
> in the boot menu.
> What am I doing wrong and how can I fix the boot menu?
> I paid almost $200 for the Ultimate Upgrade with SP1. I
> don't want it to be a complete waste.
>
> Thanks in advance:
> Michael

VistaBoot Pro will fix you right up.
http://www.vistabootpro.org/

Mark H

I have a suspicion, but it is not clear if you are attempting to boot from
the DVD or starting the upgrade from a running session of VHP. Because this
is an upgrade, you need to have Windows running, insert the DVD and then
select Install Now when the menu is presented. If you boot from the DVD, the
x64 disc assumes you are doing a clean install and disables the Upgrade
option. When you enter your product key, it is recognized as an upgrade, but
you are already in the Custom Installation path. It tries to tell you,
although cryptically, you need to start this install from within a running
windows session.

"speb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello:
>
> I first attempted to upgrade from 64-bit Vista Home Premium to
> 64-bit Vista Ultimate. After trying, it disabled the option and only
> let me do an install.
> So I enter my key in twice more. add another dummy option to
> the boot menu and attempt to do an install. I go to select the
> the drive to install. and the "Next" button is disabled. It tells me
> that I have to start it from a drive with a valid windows installation,
> which I can assure you my C:\ drive is.
> So I just reboot and repeat this procedure 2 more times with
> the same result, except I now have 2 more dummy boot options
> in the boot menu.
> What am I doing wrong and how can I fix the boot menu?
> I paid almost $200 for the Ultimate Upgrade with SP1. I
> don't want it to be a complete waste.
>
> Thanks in advance:
> Michael

speb

Thanks everyone that replied. I found out what my problem was:

One important step left out of the upgrade instructions:
<b>When asked to reboot, you must remove the Upgrade DVD from
your DVD drive.</b>
Now it is upgraded.

I will try that VistaBoot to cleanup the half-dozen excess boot options I
have.