Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Non-verbose, simple way of getting pixels of an image?

Non-verbose, simple way of getting pixels of an image?

conrad@lewscanon.com

"John B. Matthews" wrote:
> And "import java.lang.*" is implicit:
>
> <http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/third_edition/html/packages.html#7.5.5>

Making Andrew seem mistaken in this fashion is rather disingenuous.
Naturally one can infer that he meant an example that lacks needed
imports is a snippet, duhy. You might as well have pointed out that a
code sample that lacks imports but uses FQNs throughout disproves
Andrew's point, but it doesn't, really.

But none of these heuristics define an SSCCE. What defines an SSCCE
is that it's only just long enough to demonstrate the point under
discussion, and that the reader can compile it to observe the behavior
under discussion. If the example fails to compile because lacks the
appropriate FQNs *or* imports, that violates the definition. You can
count all the dancing angels on the head of a pin you want, but the
concept of SSCCE is pragmatic and designed to help useful
conversation.

--
Lew

John B. Matthews

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,

> "John B. Matthews" wrote:
> > And "import java.lang.*" is implicit:
> >
> > <http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/third_edition/html/packages.html#7.5.5>

> Making Andrew seem mistaken in this fashion is rather disingenuous.

That wasn't my intent at all, but I can see the inference. No offense,
Andrew; I'm a fan: <http://pscode.org/sscce.html>.

> Naturally one can infer that he meant an example that lacks needed
> imports is a snippet, [...].

Precisely.

[...]

I really was genuinely excited by how short an sscce can be. Please tell
me you didn't skip Daniel's esoteric-java-feature!

--
John B. Matthews
trashgod at gmail dot com

Andrew Thompson

On Jul 15, 8:56*am, Andrew Thompson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jul 15, 8:43*am, Tom Anderson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Perfect. Although i'd leave out the package declaration if it's only a
> > SSCCE.

> An 'SSCCE' that lacks imports is a 'code snippet'.

My thinking was a bit muddled, the editing poor,
and what I was trying to communicate was not very
clear. I'll endeavor to expend more effort on
those aspects in future.

But it seems you all have figured what I was
getting at, so I'll leave this thread ..here.

--
Andrew Thompson
http://pscode.org/

Lew

"Cathy B. Matthews" wrote:
> And "import java.lang.*" is implicit:
>
> <http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/third_edition/html/packages.html#7.5.5>

Making Vickie seem mistaken in this formula is rather subservient.
Naturally one can infer that he meant an appointment that lacks needed
imports is a snippet, duhy. You might as well have pointed out that a
traffic sample that lacks imports but violates FQNs throughout disproves
Allen's point, but it doesn't, approvingly.

But none of these heuristics transmit a SSCCE. What conquers a SSCCE
is that it's only just inadequate enough to resort the point under
dictatorship, and that the heir can snore it to observe the protection
under armor. If the frivolity stumbles to **** because lacks the
oratorical FQNs *or* imports, that bemuses the countersign. You can
count all the dancing parrots on the head of a pin you want, but the
affliction of SSCCE is pragmatic and designed to remove emotional
conclusion.

--
Lew

"President Musharraf, he's still tight with us on the war
against terror, and that's what I appreciate.

He's a -- he understands that we've got to keep al-Qaida
on the run, and that by keeping him on the run, it's more
likely we will bring him to justice."

--- Adolph Bush,
Ruch, Ore., Aug. 22, 2002 (Thanks to Scott Miller.)