Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > MAC hardware locking

MAC hardware locking

D@annyBoy

using a wireless adsl router with WEP enabled.
was advised to use MAC hardware locking instead.

How do I determine the MAC of my laptop?
to my understand the MAC is unique in every system? am I right?

tia

--

D@nnyBoy
Have you tried posting your problems

atec

D@annyBoy wrote:
> using a wireless adsl router with WEP enabled.
> was advised to use MAC hardware locking instead.
>
> How do I determine the MAC of my laptop?
> to my understand the MAC is unique in every system? am I right?
>
> tia

http://www-dcn.fnal.gov/DCG-Docs/mac/

Jack

Hi
May be this can Help.
WEP, WPA, and the Future - http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html
IP & MAC - http://www.ezlan.net/ip_mac.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"atec" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> D@annyBoy wrote:
> > using a wireless adsl router with WEP enabled.
> > was advised to use MAC hardware locking instead.
> >
> > How do I determine the MAC of my laptop?
> > to my understand the MAC is unique in every system? am I right?
> >
> > tia
> >

> http://www-dcn.fnal.gov/DCG-Docs/mac/

Shenan Stanley

D@annyBoy wrote:
> using a wireless adsl router with WEP enabled.
> was advised to use MAC hardware locking instead.
>
> How do I determine the MAC of my laptop?
> to my understand the MAC is unique in every system? am I right?

CMD prompt (Start --> Run --> CMD --> OK)
Type in:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Press the ENTER key.

Find your wireless adapter and locate the "Physical Address" section. The
part that looks like:
XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX
Is your MAC address.

Also, your wireless router itself should be able to tell you what devices
are attached and possibly add them from its interface directly. Refer to
the manual.

--
<- Shenan ->

Matt Gibson

Yes, MACs are unique.

However, since MAC addresses can be changed, and it's trivial to determine
which MAC addresses are able to connect to a wireless network, MAC filtering
is basically useless.

Matt Gibson - GSEC

"D@annyBoy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> using a wireless adsl router with WEP enabled.
> was advised to use MAC hardware locking instead.
>
> How do I determine the MAC of my laptop?
> to my understand the MAC is unique in every system? am I right?
>
> tia
>
> --
>
> D@nnyBoy
> Have you tried posting your problems
> not related to MS AntiSpyware to

Michael Pelletier

D@annyBoy wrote:

> using a wireless adsl router with WEP enabled.
> was advised to use MAC hardware locking instead.
>
> How do I determine the MAC of my laptop?
> to my understand the MAC is unique in every system? am I right?
>
> tia

Who told you that? Smack him/her. You should not take WEP (or whatever
encryption you are using) off. WEP is weak, at best, but it is better to
use it than not. MAC filtering is lame. Someone can easily change their
wireless "MAC" address and gain access to you wireless network.

In short, at least use WEP....

Michael

--

"Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems." -
Linus Torvald

D@annyBoy

thanks to everyone's response
I'd stick to
if's aint broken, ......................

--

"D@annyBoy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> using a wireless adsl router with WEP enabled.
> was advised to use MAC hardware locking instead.
>
> How do I determine the MAC of my laptop?
> to my understand the MAC is unique in every system? am I right?
>
> tia
>
> --
>
> D@nnyBoy
> Have you tried posting your problems
> not related to MS AntiSpyware to

Nobody

Use both. Both are easy to break but you keep the neighbors out of your
system with a high degree of certainly by using both. Someone that
really wants in can still break in, but they could also break into your
house
and just steal your computer too.