Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Amazon: "Practical Django Projects" by James Bennett (June 2008)

Amazon: "Practical Django Projects" by James Bennett (June 2008)

Dave U. Random

http://snipr.com/PracticalDjango

Stefan Scholl

Dave U. Random <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> http://snipr.com/PracticalDjango

June 2008 is a bit too early. Django isn't ready.

--
Web (en): http://www.no-spoon.de/ -*- Web (de): http://www.frell.de/

Fredrik Lundh

Stefan Scholl wrote:

> Django isn't ready.

That's a remarkably ignorant statement.

</F>

Stefan Scholl

Fredrik Lundh <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Stefan Scholl wrote:
>
>> Django isn't ready.

> That's a remarkably ignorant statement.

The 1.0 release will be in September.

--
Web (en): http://www.no-spoon.de/ -*- Web (de): http://www.frell.de/

Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 05:41:11 +0200, Stefan Scholl wrote:

> Fredrik Lundh <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Stefan Scholl wrote:
>>
>>> Django isn't ready.

>> That's a remarkably ignorant statement.

> The 1.0 release will be in September.

So what? It's not the version number that matters but features and
stability. It's not uncommon in open source projects to have very usable
software with a version number below 1.0.

Ciao,
Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

Fredrik Lundh

Stefan Scholl wrote:

>>> Django isn't ready.

>> That's a remarkably ignorant statement.

> The 1.0 release will be in September.

So? "1.0" will be done then, yes. In what way does that mean that
Django itself isn't ready, in any sane sense of that word?

(For bystanders, Django's 0.91 release in early 1996 was what most
people would have called "1.0". 0.95 was a "2.0" release, and the
upcoming 1.0 release is pretty much a "3.0". Or if you use Micro-
soft's numbering system, 0.91 was "3.0", 0.95 is "5.0" and 1.0 is,
what, "8.0"?)

</F>

Stefan Scholl

Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 05:41:11 +0200, Stefan Scholl wrote:
>> Fredrik Lundh <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> That's a remarkably ignorant statement.

>> The 1.0 release will be in September.

> So what? It's not the version number that matters but features and
> stability. It's not uncommon in open source projects to have very usable
> software with a version number below 1.0.

The book is about the development version, which was current at
the time the book was written. See page 4.

Nobody says something about "Book after feature freeze" (or
similar). Instead I get "ignorant statement" and "usable
software".

My conclusion: This book isn't about a stable release and not
about a future stable release. (And even if it was about the last
stable relase, too much has changed and will change until
September 2008. IMHO.)

And by the way: The quote was changed by deleting something on
the same line:

"June 2008 is a bit too early. Django isn't ready."

vs.

"Django isn't ready."

--

Stefan Scholl wrote:

> And by the way: The quote was changed by deleting something on
> the same line:
>
> "June 2008 is a bit too early. Django isn't ready."
>
> vs.
>
> "Django isn't ready."

Is this a language issue? That you meant to write "django 1.0 isn't
done" (as in "completed; finished") but accidentally wrote "django isn't
ready" (where "ready" is usually read as "completely prepared or in fit
condition for immediate action or use")?

(and the "stable release" and "much will change" stuff is pure FUD, of
course. what competing project will I find if I google your name?)

</F>

alex23

On Jul 17, 6:04 pm, Fredrik Lundh <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Django's 0.91 release in early 1996

While I totally agree with position, I'm pretty sure you mean 2006
here

bruno.desthuilliers@gmail.com

On 16 juil, 10:35, Stefan Scholl <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Dave U. Random <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >http://snipr.com/PracticalDjango

> June 2008 is a bit too early. Django isn't ready.

Oh, really ? Too bad. But, wait... If Django isn't ready, what's that
framework I've been using for almost three years now, then ???

Question on Django and Django Book John Posner Python 0 11-13-2010 06:55 PM
for james@james.can try another reader like thunderbird or 40tude dialog richard Computer Support 0 10-14-2008 08:05 AM
JAMES sizing Grago Java 0 11-03-2003 05:53 AM
DNS server configuration in Apache James Lokesh Java 0 08-20-2003 10:46 AM

Advertisments