Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Firefox 2 Not creating favicons

Firefox 2 Not creating favicons

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Ed Mullen wrote:
> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>> Ed Mullen wrote:

>>> It is still odd because that is NOT the way my SeaMonkey works. If I
>>> open a folder in my bookmarks the favicons (if there are any)
>>> populate as fast as my 10 Mb/s cable feed can get them. Which is PDQ.
>>>
>>> I /think/ this may have something to do with the cache settings in FF
>>> but I haven't been able to reliably document and reproduce it.
>>>

>> this is the way FF bookmarks used to work. The favicon was stored
>> within the cache. Since FF2, they've been stored within the bookmark
>> file [as I understood it].
>>

> The links to the favicons are stored in the HTML bookmarks file in FF2.
> Not sure what the program logic is for updating them.
>
> If they are stored in and refreshed from the cache that's a problem if,
> like me, my cache is automatically cleared on shut down.

as I said, FF2 favicons are stored in the bookmark
file, while SMs are stored within the cache. FF1 had
them stored within the cache, too.

help!!!!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Ed Mullen wrote:
> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>> Ed Mullen wrote:

>>> The links to the favicons are stored in the HTML bookmarks file in
>>> FF2. Not sure what the program logic is for updating them.
>>>
>>> If they are stored in and refreshed from the cache that's a problem
>>> if, like me, my cache is automatically cleared on shut down.
>>>

>> as I said, FF2 favicons are stored in the bookmark file, while SMs are
>> stored within the cache. FF1 had them stored within the cache, too.
>>

> The actual images are /not/ stored in bookmarks.html. The "links" to
> the image online are what is stored in the bookmarks file. The question
> is how are they updated? I've clicked on numerous bookmarks that have
> favicons and FF2 is still not showing them in the bookmark despite all
> the prefs being (seemingly) set properly.

then go and ask in the ff support group.

help!!!!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
> Ed Mullen wrote:
>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

>>> as I said, FF2 favicons are stored in the bookmark file, while SMs
>>> are stored within the cache. FF1 had them stored within the cache, too.
>>>

>> The actual images are /not/ stored in bookmarks.html. The "links" to
>> the image online are what is stored in the bookmarks file. The
>> question is how are they updated? I've clicked on numerous bookmarks
>> that have favicons and FF2 is still not showing them in the bookmark
>> despite all the prefs being (seemingly) set properly.
>>

> then go and ask in the ff support group.

I've done some investigating and found that the
favicons for FF2 ARE stored within the cache.