Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Windows (XP) update can stuff up Zone Alarm and thereby your Internet Connection?

Windows (XP) update can stuff up Zone Alarm and thereby your Internet Connection?

Seagull

I lost the ability to connect to Xtra the other morning and after tearing a
lot of my little remaining hair out, I rang the help desk and the tech said
they had found Zone Alarm was trhe likely cause. Sure enough, killing ZA
allowed connection again. I changed to Comodo with out too much drama but
since then have had two friends ask for help when thay could not connect to
their ISP. Again killing ZA fixed the problem.

Finally today a email arrived from Zonealarm offering solutions (for those
that can connect) So I thought I would post here in case anybody missed the
messages. Only problem, I am over the data cap this month so it took a
couple of hours to download the patched version of ZoneAlarm. (Groan!!)

In article

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2325275,00.asp

A number of consumers running Check Point's ZoneAlarm security software on
Windows XP lost Internet connectivity Tuesday night after Microsoft released
a patch for a potentially dangerous DNS flaw.

The problem only affected ZoneAlarm customers who had their security
settings on "high," according to a Check Point spokeswoman. Those with
"medium" or "low" settings did not lose Internet service.

Check Point offered two possible solutions, including temporarily
uninstalling the patch or setting firewall setting to "medium." Check Point
said it will soon issue a ZoneAlarm update with a permanent solution. The
company also posted a more detailed workaround online.

Microsoft released the update, known as KB951748, after Dan Kaminsky of
IOActive and Paul Vixie of Internet Systems Consortium notified the Computer
Emergency Readiness Team (US-CERT) of a basic flaw in the DNS standard that
could lead to cache poisoning, and allows attackers to redirect Internet
requests to wherever they want, including sites that engage in phishing or
malware distribution.

In addition to Microsoft, the list of Internet system vendors affected by
the flaw includes Apple, AT&T, Cisco, D-Link, IBM, and Intel.

Zone Alarm Update Norm Computer Support 5 06-22-2004 02:14 AM
Trouble downloading Zone Alarm update Andrew Computer Support 13 05-27-2004 10:26 PM
ZONE ALARM update Kal Computer Support 1 02-19-2004 11:41 AM
Audible alarm in Zone Alarm? Patch Computer Support 4 08-18-2003 07:43 PM

Advertisments