Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Chess Titans (can't resign) . . .

Chess Titans (can't resign) . . .

Stan Shankman

Greetings all,

I am not sure if this is an issue related to Vista 64-bit or not. (As I do
not have a 32-bit Vista box for comparison.) So here I am asking if anyone
knows of this problem, or if anyone knows of a fix.
I like playing Chess on Vista using Chess Titans - a game that came with the
Ultimate version of Windows Vista.

I started out playing at a low level, but wanted to see how strong it
played, so I switch it up to the top level (level 10). As I expected, it was
able to lay waist to my forces within relatively few moves.
At this high level (level 10), it plays so well, and so slowly, that it
makes it no fun for me to play against. So I quickly abandoned my designer
to be in level 10.

What should I do?

Well, it seemed quite reasonable to simply "resign" the game, and restart in
a lower level.
And that is exactly what I did.
But here's the got-yah: Now, each time I restart Chess Titans, it comes back
to that played (and lost) game.
It's as if it is trying to torment me be remembering the doof position I
managed to work myself into.
Now yes, I know - there is a setting to "always continue saved games".
And I have tried changing that setting but to no avail.
No matter how many times I resign that game, it always comes back to haunt
me whenever I restart Chess Titans.
I want it to go away. I want to forget my bad experience with level-10, and
I only wish chess Titan would be so kind as to help me forget.

Help!
What must I do to make Chess Titans accept my resignation?

Thanks all,

- Stan

Mark H

In the search box, type:
ChessTitans.ChessTitansSave-ms

Make sure the file that appears has the title shown above.
Right-click the file that appears and select Delete.

"Stan Shankman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Greetings all,
>
> I am not sure if this is an issue related to Vista 64-bit or not. (As I do
> not have a 32-bit Vista box for comparison.) So here I am asking if anyone
> knows of this problem, or if anyone knows of a fix.
> I like playing Chess on Vista using Chess Titans - a game that came with
> the Ultimate version of Windows Vista.
>
> I started out playing at a low level, but wanted to see how strong it
> played, so I switch it up to the top level (level 10). As I expected, it
> was able to lay waist to my forces within relatively few moves.
> At this high level (level 10), it plays so well, and so slowly, that it
> makes it no fun for me to play against. So I quickly abandoned my designer
> to be in level 10.
>
> What should I do?
>
> Well, it seemed quite reasonable to simply "resign" the game, and restart
> in a lower level.
> And that is exactly what I did.
> But here's the got-yah: Now, each time I restart Chess Titans, it comes
> back to that played (and lost) game.
> It's as if it is trying to torment me be remembering the doof position I
> managed to work myself into.
> Now yes, I know - there is a setting to "always continue saved games".
> And I have tried changing that setting but to no avail.
> No matter how many times I resign that game, it always comes back to haunt
> me whenever I restart Chess Titans.
> I want it to go away. I want to forget my bad experience with level-10,
> and I only wish chess Titan would be so kind as to help me forget.
>
> Help!
> What must I do to make Chess Titans accept my resignation?
>
> Thanks all,
>
> - Stan

Tom Lake

> Help!
> What must I do to make Chess Titans accept my resignation?

Try this:

Open the Start menu, then click on your name (top of second column)
Now look for a folder called Saved Games. In there there's a folder
Microsoft Games and in THAT folder there's a Chess Titans folder.
That should have your game in it. Delete the Chess Titans folder
itself. It will be recreated the next time you save a game.

Tom Lake

Stan Shankman

Well thanks guys. That did the trick.

But still, I have to wonder if what I was experiencing was indeed a bug.
Has Microsoft ever been known to release an update to a game?
I know this game was supplied to Microsoft by Oberon Games (read "about" in
help menu).
Wouldn't you think that Oberon would be interested in fixing a small problem
with what is otherwise a very good product?

The slowness of bug fixes on matters like this has always bugged me. (No pun
intended). I did nothing to cause myself not to be able to resign a game in
Chess Titans so to me, it seems to be a bug. Even if this condition was
brought about by, say, an improper shut-down - it still has to be considered
a bug. The program must be able to recognize when correct action needs to be
taken. It seems clear, that some simple breach of logic is at play here.

I know If I were programming a game, and found such a bug, I would stay up
nights until the problem was fixed! And once found I would straighten out
the code in a heart-beat.
This seems to be a problem in general, where corporate mentality is so
afraid of making a mistake that they prohibit the programmers from
exercising their free judgment.

Anyway, enough said.

Thanks again for the fix,

- Stan

"Stan Shankman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Greetings all,
>
> I am not sure if this is an issue related to Vista 64-bit or not. (As I do
> not have a 32-bit Vista box for comparison.) So here I am asking if anyone
> knows of this problem, or if anyone knows of a fix.
> I like playing Chess on Vista using Chess Titans - a game that came with
> the Ultimate version of Windows Vista.
>
> I started out playing at a low level, but wanted to see how strong it
> played, so I switch it up to the top level (level 10). As I expected, it
> was able to lay waist to my forces within relatively few moves.
> At this high level (level 10), it plays so well, and so slowly, that it
> makes it no fun for me to play against. So I quickly abandoned my designer
> to be in level 10.
>
> What should I do?
>
> Well, it seemed quite reasonable to simply "resign" the game, and restart
> in a lower level.
> And that is exactly what I did.
> But here's the got-yah: Now, each time I restart Chess Titans, it comes
> back to that played (and lost) game.
> It's as if it is trying to torment me be remembering the doof position I
> managed to work myself into.
> Now yes, I know - there is a setting to "always continue saved games".
> And I have tried changing that setting but to no avail.
> No matter how many times I resign that game, it always comes back to haunt
> me whenever I restart Chess Titans.
> I want it to go away. I want to forget my bad experience with level-10,
> and I only wish chess Titan would be so kind as to help me forget.
>
> Help!
> What must I do to make Chess Titans accept my resignation?
>
> Thanks all,
>
> - Stan

Tony Sperling

Well, games really are fixed and updated too (just check out FSX), but I
agree that fixes are released within wide time frames and often not widely
known - most likely because there is a limited call for them. You would
probably want to 'hang out' on some site, or NG, that is commited to the
game, to ever hear of any such thing. This is normal.

Not everything you don't like in software will be a 'bug'. Vista is new and
is using new technology that developers have to tackle. Consequently, not
everything gets to be 'right' the first time. Any such inconveniences you
may find magically correct themself with a Windows Update at some point? Or
it may not, and you adapt!

Tony. . .

> [...]

restart
> > in a lower level.
> > And that is exactly what I did.
> > But here's the got-yah: Now, each time I restart Chess Titans, it comes
> > back to that played (and lost) game.
> > It's as if it is trying to torment me be remembering the doof position I
> > managed to work myself into.
> > Now yes, I know - there is a setting to "always continue saved games".
> > And I have tried changing that setting but to no avail.
> > No matter how many times I resign that game, it always comes back to

haunt
> > me whenever I restart Chess Titans.
> > I want it to go away. I want to forget my bad experience with level-10,
> > and I only wish chess Titan would be so kind as to help me forget.
> >
> > Help!
> > What must I do to make Chess Titans accept my resignation?

Interfacing my chess client with GNU chess using python Varun Hiremath Python 1 09-18-2006 05:24 PM
Titans site isn't up properly... :| unholy The Lounge 0 07-03-2005 03:42 PM
use Java to write Chiness Chess? nick Java 1 11-19-2004 10:50 AM
Chess lovers NBN Computer Support 1 09-23-2004 04:00 AM
chess board Tidds HTML 18 11-25-2003 11:48 PM

Advertisments