Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless breaks every reboot?

Wireless breaks every reboot?

xeriouxi

Hi!

I haev a problem with the wireless on XP. I'm currently running Vista in
which the wireless runs fine, but in XP (clean install, SP2 and SP3 both
tested) I have a problem.

It seems everytime I restart the PC the wireless seems to work fine, only in
the balloon popup, instead of saying "O2 Wireless" (my ISP name) it says "O2
Wireless(unsecured)" exactly as typed and then it disconnects. I have to
force the connection to get it working again. I've got all updates installed
and have tried WPA2 and giong back to WEP, both without any success. Anyone
know what I'm doing wrong, if anything, here? I'm using the Wireless Zero to
connect and it's never given me any problems until I did a clean XP install.
I wonder if it's anything to do with the front USB ports? (I have a Dell
Dimension 9200).

Thanks for any assistance! I hope I can go back to XP with this problem
fixed! =)

Barb Bowman

what are you connecting TO? wireless router? do you have a neighbor
with an ISP supplied wireless router with the same O2 Wireless SSID
name?

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP

xeriouxi

No I'm the only one wih that SSID. I'm trying to connect to a wireless
router, yes. I've tried the adapter on another XP machine and it works just
fine and I didn't have any issues with this before doing a clean install.
I've even tried disabling my ethernet port and that didn't help anything,
either. As said it works just fine in Vista so it's definately an XP issue
but I can't for the life of me figure out why it's happening.

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> what are you connecting TO? wireless router? do you have a neighbor
> with an ISP supplied wireless router with the same O2 Wireless SSID
> name?
>
> On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 22:05:00 -0700, xeriouxi
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Hi!
> >
> >I haev a problem with the wireless on XP. I'm currently running Vista in
> >which the wireless runs fine, but in XP (clean install, SP2 and SP3 both
> >tested) I have a problem.
> >
> >It seems everytime I restart the PC the wireless seems to work fine, only in
> >the balloon popup, instead of saying "O2 Wireless" (my ISP name) it says "O2
> >Wireless(unsecured)" exactly as typed and then it disconnects. I have to
> >force the connection to get it working again. I've got all updates installed
> >and have tried WPA2 and giong back to WEP, both without any success. Anyone
> >know what I'm doing wrong, if anything, here? I'm using the Wireless Zero to
> >connect and it's never given me any problems until I did a clean XP install.
> >I wonder if it's anything to do with the front USB ports? (I have a Dell
> >Dimension 9200).
> >
> >Thanks for any assistance! I hope I can go back to XP with this problem
> >fixed! =)

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS-MVP

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Are you talking about Local Wireless with your own Wireless Router, or
Wireless ISP.
If it is wireless ISP talk to them about the credentials. If it is your own
Wireless look at the the preferred Wireless connection and clean it up.
Make sure that the original manufacturer Wireless utility is Not running
too.
In General.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"xeriouxi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi!
>
> I haev a problem with the wireless on XP. I'm currently running Vista in
> which the wireless runs fine, but in XP (clean install, SP2 and SP3 both
> tested) I have a problem.
>
> It seems everytime I restart the PC the wireless seems to work fine, only
> in
> the balloon popup, instead of saying "O2 Wireless" (my ISP name) it says
> "O2
> Wireless(unsecured)" exactly as typed and then it disconnects. I have to
> force the connection to get it working again. I've got all updates
> installed
> and have tried WPA2 and giong back to WEP, both without any success.
> Anyone
> know what I'm doing wrong, if anything, here? I'm using the Wireless Zero
> connect and it's never given me any problems until I did a clean XP
> install.
> I wonder if it's anything to do with the front USB ports? (I have a Dell
> Dimension 9200).
>
> Thanks for any assistance! I hope I can go back to XP with this problem
> fixed! =)

xeriouxi

It's not my ISP, no. The adapter I use works on other XP machines just fine.
It did work on this one before a clean install but I was originally using a
wired ethernet connection, then went to wireless because I can't use the
wired one anymore.

I'm not using the wireless utility that came with the adapter, just the same
drivers that I was using in my old XP install which worked fine.

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> Hi
> Are you talking about Local Wireless with your own Wireless Router, or
> Wireless ISP.
> If it is wireless ISP talk to them about the credentials. If it is your own
> Wireless look at the the preferred Wireless connection and clean it up.
> Make sure that the original manufacturer Wireless utility is Not running
> too.
> In General.
> My Wireless does not work - http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
> Wireless Basic Configuration - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "xeriouxi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi!
> >
> > I haev a problem with the wireless on XP. I'm currently running Vista in
> > which the wireless runs fine, but in XP (clean install, SP2 and SP3 both
> > tested) I have a problem.
> >
> > It seems everytime I restart the PC the wireless seems to work fine, only
> > in
> > the balloon popup, instead of saying "O2 Wireless" (my ISP name) it says
> > "O2
> > Wireless(unsecured)" exactly as typed and then it disconnects. I have to
> > force the connection to get it working again. I've got all updates
> > installed
> > and have tried WPA2 and giong back to WEP, both without any success.
> > Anyone
> > know what I'm doing wrong, if anything, here? I'm using the Wireless Zero
> > connect and it's never given me any problems until I did a clean XP
> > install.
> > I wonder if it's anything to do with the front USB ports? (I have a Dell
> > Dimension 9200).
> >
> > Thanks for any assistance! I hope I can go back to XP with this problem
> > fixed! =)

Barb Bowman

what exact model wireless NIC and what version drivers? you may need
a newer driver.

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 09:26:00 -0700, xeriouxi
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>No I'm the only one wih that SSID. I'm trying to connect to a wireless
>router, yes. I've tried the adapter on another XP machine and it works just
>fine and I didn't have any issues with this before doing a clean install.
>I've even tried disabling my ethernet port and that didn't help anything,
>either. As said it works just fine in Vista so it's definately an XP issue
>but I can't for the life of me figure out why it's happening.
>
>"Barb Bowman" wrote:
>
>> what are you connecting TO? wireless router? do you have a neighbor
>> with an ISP supplied wireless router with the same O2 Wireless SSID
>> name?
>>
>> On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 22:05:00 -0700, xeriouxi
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi!
>> >
>> >I haev a problem with the wireless on XP. I'm currently running Vista in
>> >which the wireless runs fine, but in XP (clean install, SP2 and SP3 both
>> >tested) I have a problem.
>> >
>> >It seems everytime I restart the PC the wireless seems to work fine, only in
>> >the balloon popup, instead of saying "O2 Wireless" (my ISP name) it says "O2
>> >Wireless(unsecured)" exactly as typed and then it disconnects. I have to
>> >force the connection to get it working again. I've got all updates installed
>> >and have tried WPA2 and giong back to WEP, both without any success. Anyone
>> >know what I'm doing wrong, if anything, here? I'm using the Wireless Zero to
>> >connect and it's never given me any problems until I did a clean XP install.
>> >I wonder if it's anything to do with the front USB ports? (I have a Dell
>> >Dimension 9200).
>> >
>> >Thanks for any assistance! I hope I can go back to XP with this problem
>> >fixed! =)

>> --
>>
>> Barb Bowman
>> MS-MVP

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP

xeriouxi

I'm using a Belkin F5D7051uk adapter with the latest drivers from their
support site. As said, it works on other PC's in the house but it seems that
for some reason it won't work anymore on this after a clean install.

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> what exact model wireless NIC and what version drivers? you may need
> a newer driver.
>
> On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 09:26:00 -0700, xeriouxi
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >No I'm the only one wih that SSID. I'm trying to connect to a wireless
> >router, yes. I've tried the adapter on another XP machine and it works just
> >fine and I didn't have any issues with this before doing a clean install.
> >I've even tried disabling my ethernet port and that didn't help anything,
> >either. As said it works just fine in Vista so it's definately an XP issue
> >but I can't for the life of me figure out why it's happening.
> >
> >"Barb Bowman" wrote:
> >
> >> what are you connecting TO? wireless router? do you have a neighbor
> >> with an ISP supplied wireless router with the same O2 Wireless SSID
> >> name?

> >> --
> >>
> >> Barb Bowman
> >> MS-MVP
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
> >> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
> >>

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS-MVP

Barb Bowman

First, update the computer to XP SP3. Just because this adapter
works on Vista computers does not help trouble shoot the issue on
XP.

Does the adapter show up in device manager?

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 12:41:00 -0700, xeriouxi
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm using a Belkin F5D7051uk adapter with the latest drivers from their
>support site. As said, it works on other PC's in the house but it seems that
>for some reason it won't work anymore on this after a clean install.
>
>"Barb Bowman" wrote:
>
>> what exact model wireless NIC and what version drivers? you may need
>> a newer driver.
>>
>> On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 09:26:00 -0700, xeriouxi
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >No I'm the only one wih that SSID. I'm trying to connect to a wireless
>> >router, yes. I've tried the adapter on another XP machine and it works just
>> >fine and I didn't have any issues with this before doing a clean install.
>> >I've even tried disabling my ethernet port and that didn't help anything,
>> >either. As said it works just fine in Vista so it's definately an XP issue
>> >but I can't for the life of me figure out why it's happening.

>> --
>>
>> Barb Bowman
>> MS-MVP

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP

smlunatick

On Jul 14, 9:30*am, Barb Bowman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> First, update the computer to XP SP3. Just because this adapter
> works on Vista computers does not help trouble shoot the issue on
> XP.
>
> Does the adapter show up in device manager?
>
> On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 12:41:00 -0700, xeriouxi
>

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >I'm using a Belkin F5D7051uk adapter with the latest drivers from their
> >support site. As said, it works on other PC's in the house but it seems that
> >for some reason it won't work anymore on this after a clean install.

> >"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> >> what exact model wireless NIC and what version drivers? you may need
> >> a newer driver.

> >> --

> >> Barb Bowman
> >> MS-MVP
> >>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
> >>http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS-MVPhttp://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/bowman.mspxhttp://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

You also should be checking any / all software firewalls and anti-
virus systems. I have encountered a software firewall which would
"deactivate" any wireless network connections (with any wireless
adapters) if the wireless network SSID is not listed in the software's
trusted network list.

MapleE.

I had a very similar issue as yours in the past, last Spring.

Prior to connect wireless Adaptor to the Vista, it was no problem on the XP.
However, when I unplugged the wireless Adaptor from the Vista in my attempts
to plug it back onto the XP, it didn't work at all, as seeing that there was
'yellow
exlamation mark' on Device Manager.

In my case, since then I switched to the 'wired' and no problem at all.

Someone told me that Wirless Adaptor remember the port or which machine,
etc.
and the best thing is to keep the exact Wirless Adaptor which was hooked
onto
the same machine, ... never swap it around for its safety.