Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless Key problem

Reply
Thread Tools

Wireless Key problem

 
 
Ricky
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-11-2008
I have occaisional problems where my wireless connection drops. The thing is
that when I search for available connections, I see my own network, to which
my PC should automaticaly reconnect. When I click to conect it brings up the
box for me to put my network key in.

Naturally the stored key appears as dots - the thing is that only about 7
dots appear - my key has 14 characters. Is this why it won't auto reconnect?
When I start up my PC it ususally makes the connection, but not always.

I have gone into the advanced properties for my network and reentered the 14
digit key, but this has not resolved the problem. This has always been the
key since the PC was configured, so it cannot be using an old password from
some forgotten file...

Any thoughts? Thanks
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
CathyP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-11-2008
Hey, I am having a problem with trying to connect a new computer to my
wireless connection. Does anyone know a way to display the network password
in its alphanumeric format rather than just dots, so I can type this network
password into my new computer's internet connection???

It is really frustrating me!!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry Ricky. I had to use your post as a way to get a post up there myself.
Wish I could help you figure yours out.

Thanks.

"Ricky" wrote:

> I have occaisional problems where my wireless connection drops. The thing is
> that when I search for available connections, I see my own network, to which
> my PC should automaticaly reconnect. When I click to conect it brings up the
> box for me to put my network key in.
>
> Naturally the stored key appears as dots - the thing is that only about 7
> dots appear - my key has 14 characters. Is this why it won't auto reconnect?
> When I start up my PC it ususally makes the connection, but not always.
>
> I have gone into the advanced properties for my network and reentered the 14
> digit key, but this has not resolved the problem. This has always been the
> key since the PC was configured, so it cannot be using an old password from
> some forgotten file...
>
> Any thoughts? Thanks

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
iPC
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-11-2008
Obscuring the number of characters in your network key is part of security.
Consider updating drivers for your wifi adapter. Could also be interference
from other networks operating on the same channel or from nearby devices
like 2.4GHz phones if you're running a b/g/n network.


"Ricky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have occaisional problems where my wireless connection drops. The thing
>is
> that when I search for available connections, I see my own network, to
> which
> my PC should automaticaly reconnect. When I click to conect it brings up
> the
> box for me to put my network key in.
>
> Naturally the stored key appears as dots - the thing is that only about 7
> dots appear - my key has 14 characters. Is this why it won't auto
> reconnect?
> When I start up my PC it ususally makes the connection, but not always.
>
> I have gone into the advanced properties for my network and reentered the
> 14
> digit key, but this has not resolved the problem. This has always been the
> key since the PC was configured, so it cannot be using an old password
> from
> some forgotten file...
>
> Any thoughts? Thanks



 
Reply With Quote
 
John
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-11-2008
Type your password in a text editor (eg: Notepad or something else if you're
not using Windows).
Copy the password
paste it...
(should I continue?)


"CathyP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey, I am having a problem with trying to connect a new computer to my
> wireless connection. Does anyone know a way to display the network
> password
> in its alphanumeric format rather than just dots, so I can type this
> network
> password into my new computer's internet connection???
>
> It is really frustrating me!!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Sorry Ricky. I had to use your post as a way to get a post up there
> myself.
> Wish I could help you figure yours out.
>
> Thanks.
>
> "Ricky" wrote:
>
>> I have occaisional problems where my wireless connection drops. The thing
>> is
>> that when I search for available connections, I see my own network, to
>> which
>> my PC should automaticaly reconnect. When I click to conect it brings up
>> the
>> box for me to put my network key in.
>>
>> Naturally the stored key appears as dots - the thing is that only about 7
>> dots appear - my key has 14 characters. Is this why it won't auto
>> reconnect?
>> When I start up my PC it ususally makes the connection, but not always.
>>
>> I have gone into the advanced properties for my network and reentered the
>> 14
>> digit key, but this has not resolved the problem. This has always been
>> the
>> key since the PC was configured, so it cannot be using an old password
>> from
>> some forgotten file...
>>
>> Any thoughts? Thanks



 
Reply With Quote
 
John
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-11-2008

"Ricky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have occaisional problems where my wireless connection drops. The thing
>is
> that when I search for available connections, I see my own network, to
> which
> my PC should automaticaly reconnect. When I click to conect it brings up
> the
> box for me to put my network key in.


Typically you only have to do this once. Your password is saved in your WiFi
profile.

> Naturally the stored key appears as dots - the thing is that only about 7
> dots appear - my key has 14 characters. Is this why it won't auto
> reconnect?


Nope. The number of dots does not necessarily represent the length of your
password. It's for security reason.

> When I start up my PC it ususally makes the connection, but not always.


It could be:
- Interference
- (Cheap) WiFi router (it's a wild guess)
- It may take longer to connect but you're impatient and force it to connect
by manually connecting and retyping your password


 
Reply With Quote
 
Ricky
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-13-2008


"John" wrote:

>
> "Ricky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have occaisional problems where my wireless connection drops. The thing
> >is
> > that when I search for available connections, I see my own network, to
> > which
> > my PC should automaticaly reconnect. When I click to conect it brings up
> > the
> > box for me to put my network key in.

>
> Typically you only have to do this once. Your password is saved in your WiFi
> profile.
>
> > Naturally the stored key appears as dots - the thing is that only about 7
> > dots appear - my key has 14 characters. Is this why it won't auto
> > reconnect?

>
> Nope. The number of dots does not necessarily represent the length of your
> password. It's for security reason.
>
> > When I start up my PC it ususally makes the connection, but not always.

>
> It could be:
> - Interference
> - (Cheap) WiFi router (it's a wild guess)
> - It may take longer to connect but you're impatient and force it to connect
> by manually connecting and retyping your password


John

Thanks for your comments. I am happy to accept the number of dots has
nothing to do with the actual key length.

On your other comments...

Interference - agree it is possible - how do I tell/do something about it?
Wild guess wrong - not a cheap router. Its a Belkin ADSL2+ Wireless G
Timing: No, it just doesn't...
Impatient? I'm definitely getting there.... but I have given it time to
connect. Usually it connects it before the PC has completed all it's startup
tasks, but even giving it 2 minutes doesn't do the trick...

 
Reply With Quote
 
smlunatick
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-14-2008
On Jul 14, 12:39*am, Ricky <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "John" wrote:
>
> > "Ricky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >I have occaisional problems where my wireless connection drops. The thing
> > >is
> > > that when I search for available connections, I see my own network, to
> > > which
> > > my PC should automaticaly reconnect. When I click to conect it brings up
> > > the
> > > box for me to put my network key in.

>
> > Typically you only have to do this once. Your password is saved in your WiFi
> > profile.

>
> > > Naturally the stored key appears as dots - the thing is that only about 7
> > > dots appear - my key has 14 characters. Is this why it won't auto
> > > reconnect?

>
> > Nope. The number of dots does not necessarily represent the length of your
> > password. It's for security reason.

>
> > > When I start up my PC it ususally makes the connection, but not always.

>
> > It could be:
> > - Interference
> > - (Cheap) WiFi router (it's a wild guess)
> > - It may take longer to connect but you're impatient and force it to connect
> > by manually connecting and retyping your password

>
> John
>
> Thanks for your comments. I am happy to accept the number of dots has
> nothing to do with the actual key length.
>
> On your other comments...
>
> Interference - agree it is possible - how do I tell/do something about it?
> Wild guess wrong - not a cheap router. Its a Belkin ADSL2+ Wireless G
> Timing: No, it *just doesn't...
> Impatient? I'm definitely getting there.... but I have given it time to
> connect. Usually it connects it before the PC has completed all it's startup
> tasks, but even giving it 2 minutes doesn't do the trick...


Check any / all software based firewalls or anti-virus. I have
encountered a software firewall (Norton 360) which will "deactivate"
the wireless network if the network's SSID is not told to be "trusted."
 
Reply With Quote
 
John
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-14-2008
"Ricky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> Thanks for your comments. I am happy to accept the number of dots has
> nothing to do with the actual key length.


No problem Ricky.

> Interference - agree it is possible - how do I tell/do something about it?


Interference is a tough one to spot. Just be sure there aren't wireless
devices nearby (eg: cordless phone etc).

> Wild guess wrong - not a cheap router. Its a Belkin ADSL2+ Wireless G


Ok, not necessarily a cheap router. However, the truth is, I've had bad
experience with Belkin WiFi products.

> Impatient? I'm definitely getting there....


I hear ya.

> but I have given it time to
> connect. Usually it connects it before the PC has completed all it's
> startup
> tasks, but even giving it 2 minutes doesn't do the trick...


Sometimes it takes longer than 2 minutes. Also, see the other reply from
smlunatick.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WEP/WPA Key / Network Key...Cant connect ! =?Utf-8?B?SGVsbG8sV2lyZWxlc3MgaXMgQW5ub3lpbmc=?= Wireless Networking 1 09-20-2005 08:30 PM
map.insert(key,val) vs. map[key]=val ? Patrick Guio C++ 6 10-20-2004 01:54 PM
Replace Tab Key to Return Key (Enter Key) from Web Forms? M P ASP General 1 08-06-2004 08:32 AM
custom key and hasmap using a ranged key Christian Bongiorno Java 1 06-15-2004 10:03 PM



Advertisments