Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Installing Apache Ant?

Installing Apache Ant?

Daniel Norton

Here, under "Installing Ant"

http://ant.apache.org/manual/

It reads, "Set the ANT_HOME environment variable to the directory
where you installed Ant."

A bit circular, isn't it?

--
Daniel

Arne Vajhøj

Daniel Norton wrote:
> Here, under "Installing Ant"
>
> http://ant.apache.org/manual/
>
> It reads, "Set the ANT_HOME environment variable to the directory
> where you installed Ant."
>
> A bit circular, isn't it?

Not really.

You install Ant to C:\Ant and you set the ANT_HOME environment
variable to point to C:\Ant.

How is that circular ?

Arne

Martin Gregorie

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 14:46:42 -0700, Daniel Norton wrote:

> Here, under "Installing Ant"
>
> http://ant.apache.org/manual/
>
> It reads, "Set the ANT_HOME environment variable to the directory
> where you installed Ant."
>
> A bit circular, isn't it?

Not really. You'll be running ant from your project directories, which
have no fixed relationship to the installation directory.

The 'ant' command is a shell script which is typically on your search
path. It needs to (a) run code in a number of jar files in the ant library
directory and (b) read config files in the ant etc directory. $ANT_HOME
references the directory that contains both of these directories.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. |

Mike Schilling

"Martin Gregorie" <martin@see_sig_for_address.invalid> wrote in message
newsan.2008.07.10.22.24.20.272132@see_sig_for_ad dress.invalid...
> On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 14:46:42 -0700, Daniel Norton wrote:
>
>> Here, under "Installing Ant"
>>
>> http://ant.apache.org/manual/
>>
>> It reads, "Set the ANT_HOME environment variable to the directory
>> where you installed Ant."
>>
>> A bit circular, isn't it?
>>

> Not really. You'll be running ant from your project directories, which
> have no fixed relationship to the installation directory.
>
> The 'ant' command is a shell script which is typically on your search
> path. It needs to (a) run code in a number of jar files in the ant library
> directory and (b) read config files in the ant etc directory. $ANT_HOME
> references the directory that contains both of these directories.

Funnier if it were $ANT_HILL, of course.

Evans

On Jul 10, 10:46*pm, Daniel Norton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Here, under "Installing Ant"
>
> *http://ant.apache.org/manual/
>
> It reads, "Set the ANT_HOME environment variable to the directory
> where you installed Ant."
>
> A bit circular, isn't it?
>
> --
> Daniel

Come to think of it, you don't need to install it if you're using
Eclipse or NetBeans, it comes already packaged with your installation.

That said, I don't think its circular - just add 'C:\ant\bin' to your
Path assuming you unzipped ant to your 'C:\' drive.

--
Evans
http://www.jroller.com/evans

Michael Justin

Daniel Norton wrote:

> Here, under "Installing Ant"

> It reads, "Set the ANT_HOME environment variable to the directory
> where you installed Ant."

"To Understand Recursion, You Must First Understand Recursion"

SCNR

Best Regards
--
Michael Justin
SCJP, SCJA

Daniel Norton

On Jul 10, 5:04*pm, Arne Vajhøj <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Daniel Norton wrote:
> > It reads, "Set the ANT_HOME environment variable to the directory
> > where you installed Ant."

> > A bit circular, isn't it?

> Not really.
>
> You install Ant to C:\Ant and you set the ANT_HOME environment
> variable to point to C:\Ant.
>
> How is that circular ?

I distinguish between copying files onto a disk and "installing" a
package. The instruction for installation shouldn't depend on its own
installation.

The installation instructions should read "Set the ANT_HOME
environment variable to the directory into which you copied Ant."

--
Daniel

Lew

On Jul 18, 9:23*am, Daniel Norton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jul 10, 5:04*pm, Arne Vajhøj <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Daniel Norton wrote:
> > > It reads, "Set the ANT_HOME environment variable to the directory
> > > where you installed Ant."

> > > A bit circular, isn't it?

> > Not really.

> > You install Ant to C:\Ant and you set the ANT_HOME environment
> > variable to point to C:\Ant.

> > How is that circular ?

> I distinguish between copying files onto a disk and "installing" a
> package. The instruction for installation shouldn't depend on its own
> installation.
>
> The installation instructions should read "Set the ANT_HOME
> environment variable to the directory into which you copied Ant."

Since the installation of Ant consists of copying it, there is no
difference between the two expressions "copying Ant" and "installing
Ant".

--
Lew
'You might just as well say,' added the Dormouse, who seemed to be

'It IS the same thing with you,' said the Hatter.

Arne Vajhøj

Daniel Norton wrote:
> On Jul 10, 5:04 pm, Arne Vajhøj <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Daniel Norton wrote:
>>> It reads, "Set the ANT_HOME environment variable to the directory
>>> where you installed Ant."
>>> A bit circular, isn't it?

>> Not really.
>>
>> You install Ant to C:\Ant and you set the ANT_HOME environment
>> variable to point to C:\Ant.
>>
>> How is that circular ?

> I distinguish between copying files onto a disk and "installing" a
> package. The instruction for installation shouldn't depend on its own
> installation.
>
> The installation instructions should read "Set the ANT_HOME
> environment variable to the directory into which you copied Ant."

Why ?

The procedure is:
1) you install ant (it is a simple unzip)
2) you set ANT_HOME to point to that

Natural order. Nothing circular.

Arne