Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Windows Host Process (Rundll32)

Windows Host Process (Rundll32)

Low Tech Guy

I get this error several times a day. There is nothing in the problem
details that I, as a lay person, would know how to resolve. Any help would
be greatly appreciated.

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: rundll32.exe
Application Version: 6.0.6000.16386
Application Timestamp: 4549bb52
Fault Module Name: USER32.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.0.6001.18000
Fault Module Timestamp: 4791adec
Exception Code: c0000142
Exception Offset: 00000000000b1188
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: fa3e
Additional Information 2: ac0507478d1c5bd693cfc4fe3987e900
Additional Information 3: fa3e
Additional Information 4: ac0507478d1c5bd693cfc4fe3987e900

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 1066512

Tony Sperling

Try and search the KB - at the end of this link is a search box,

http://support.microsoft.com/search/

type in anything (short'ish) that you can think of concerning your issue
(ex. 'bucket error' - fault module user32.dll - or something). You will
probably be served a lot of 'dead end' documents but there's a good
probability that some good information is somewhere in there.

Solving these problems involvs a bit of detective work, because the error
report is pointing you into thin air, more or less. It's like CNN reporting
that someone broke his leg falling on a banana-peel at 4.32 PM somewhere in
the US, just after a shower of rain. If you wanted to find out who the
person was you might start by checking the locations where it had been
raining at 4.32?

Check your Event Viewer log for errors at start-up and check the timestamps
with the actual crash event and see if you can find anything consistent and
build your searches from hunches - I very much guess that you are looking
for a misbehaving 3:rd party application (one of your installed programs?)
that ultimately triggers errors in USER32.DLL!

Or, Repair/Restore/Re-Install?

Run a memory test suite over night and check all your connections inside and
out. Not much more you can do without any more clues.

Tony. . .

"Low Tech Guy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I get this error several times a day. There is nothing in the problem
> details that I, as a lay person, would know how to resolve. Any help

would
> be greatly appreciated.
>
> Problem signature
>
> Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
> Application Name: rundll32.exe
> Application Version: 6.0.6000.16386
> Application Timestamp: 4549bb52
> Fault Module Name: USER32.dll
> Fault Module Version: 6.0.6001.18000
> Fault Module Timestamp: 4791adec
> Exception Code: c0000142
> Exception Offset: 00000000000b1188
> OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
> Locale ID: 1033
> Additional Information 1: fa3e
> Additional Information 2: ac0507478d1c5bd693cfc4fe3987e900
> Additional Information 3: fa3e
> Additional Information 4: ac0507478d1c5bd693cfc4fe3987e900
>
> Extra information about the problem
> Bucket ID: 1066512

Low Tech Guy

Thanks.

I had done some research before I posted my question and came to a
conclusion that resembles your CNN analogy - that it would be the equivalent
of looking for a needle in a haystack.

It sure would be a lot more helpful if the error report were not so vague.
If it would simply provide the name of the program that crashed it would at
least give the user a place to start.

The good news is that, although I have received the error several times,
nothing I was actually working on seemed to stop running. The message pops
up and goes away, without any obvious interruption to my work. It may be
that some background process crashed but whatever it is, it is not obvious
to me and does not appear to impact the work I was doing.

At this point, I may treat this more as a nuisance than a serious issue that
may require an inordinate amount of troubleshooting time. If I notice that
the problem starts to affect my work or the computer's performance, I may
indeed have to go checking for the "locations where it had been raining at
4.32".

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Try and search the KB - at the end of this link is a search box,
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/search/
>
> type in anything (short'ish) that you can think of concerning your issue
> (ex. 'bucket error' - fault module user32.dll - or something). You will
> probably be served a lot of 'dead end' documents but there's a good
> probability that some good information is somewhere in there.
>
> Solving these problems involvs a bit of detective work, because the error
> report is pointing you into thin air, more or less. It's like CNN
> reporting
> that someone broke his leg falling on a banana-peel at 4.32 PM somewhere
> in
> the US, just after a shower of rain. If you wanted to find out who the
> person was you might start by checking the locations where it had been
> raining at 4.32?
>
> Check your Event Viewer log for errors at start-up and check the
> timestamps
> with the actual crash event and see if you can find anything consistent
> and
> build your searches from hunches - I very much guess that you are looking
> for a misbehaving 3:rd party application (one of your installed programs?)
> that ultimately triggers errors in USER32.DLL!
>
> Or, Repair/Restore/Re-Install?
>
> Run a memory test suite over night and check all your connections inside
> and
> out. Not much more you can do without any more clues.
>

> Tony. . .
>

> "Low Tech Guy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I get this error several times a day. There is nothing in the problem
>> details that I, as a lay person, would know how to resolve. Any help

> would
>> be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Problem signature
>>
>> Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
>> Application Name: rundll32.exe
>> Application Version: 6.0.6000.16386
>> Application Timestamp: 4549bb52
>> Fault Module Name: USER32.dll
>> Fault Module Version: 6.0.6001.18000
>> Fault Module Timestamp: 4791adec
>> Exception Code: c0000142
>> Exception Offset: 00000000000b1188
>> OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
>> Locale ID: 1033
>> Additional Information 1: fa3e
>> Additional Information 2: ac0507478d1c5bd693cfc4fe3987e900
>> Additional Information 3: fa3e
>> Additional Information 4: ac0507478d1c5bd693cfc4fe3987e900
>>
>> Extra information about the problem
>> Bucket ID: 1066512

Tony Sperling

Oh, I agree - it would be a lot more helpful if error messages where more
'to-the-point' - unfortunately, the limited number of logical operators that
we mere humans can currently implement into our high-tech software designs,
seldom makes it possible to employ it that way!

The sad fact is that most errors usually occur 'somewhere else', and the
only logic we can ask of a chip (or of software) is to tell us if an event
is TRUE or FALSE + a handful of binary operators (AND - OR - NOT and XOR!)
It isn't a whole lot of intelligence to write home about! But it is what we
have got to play around with. The amazing thing is that this relative mental
darkness actually defines all software that has been, and will be written
for a very long time to come.

To actually have software comunicate every event directly, we would have to
fill up the code with 'Debugging Symbols' (something you can experience with
some Beta software) that would be significantly slowing down execution. Much
of the time we probably wouldn't notice, but strip out the symbols - and you
WILL notice! So, following the logic of Monty Python - the only thing that
is worse than having an OS (or an app) not telling us where an error
originates, may be to have one that does?

What many people don't appreciate, is that when you click an icon to execute
some application, is that you are not asking the app to execute - you are
telling the OS to execute the app for you! and any errors will most likely
be reported through the OS!

Since you are obviously comfortable with computers, I'll recommend putting
your Event Viewer log to some study ( right-click My Computer - Manage!)

Double-click any error or warning and a dialog pops up - usually with more
or less explanatory commentary, and/or links to automatically pass on a
notice to MS, plus a time-stamp to help you identify precisely what you were
doing at the time of an event (like a crash or an error message pop-up?)
which may or may not help you in the end - but the exercise may put you into
closer contact with your machine AND your OS, which really may help you in
the final end, I think.

Tony. . .