Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Excellent Connection, but NO Internet

Excellent Connection, but NO Internet

MapleE.

Hi:
Even through there says, ... 'excellent connection' on an icon of tiny
computer on the right bottom
of system tray, .... I am NOT able to get 'Internet.' It happens since last
nite on both Wireless and
Wired. There are four(4) XP in my household and none is able to access
'Internet,' although there
is all 'excellent' connection with the ISP, Comcast.

My question is;
Wonder why does it happen? Is there a difference in between Connection and
Internet?

Thanks for any help on this.

John

"MapleE." <someone|@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I am NOT able to get 'Internet.' It happens since last nite on both
> Wireless and Wired.

This is proof that there is problem with your internet connection (modem
<--> internet) regardless of connection between PCs and router. Btw, wired
connection does not give you connection status (poor, good, excellent etc)
like wireless.

> There are four(4) XP in my household and none is able to access
> 'Internet,' although there
> is all 'excellent' connection with the ISP, Comcast.

What makes you think the connection to the ISP is "excellent"? You said it
above that all PCs are unable to get to the internet.

> My question is;
> Wonder why does it happen? Is there a difference in between Connection
> and Internet?

Yep. You can have excellent connection between PCs and router (or networked
PCs in the LAN) but if you unplug your cable modem, you have no internet
connection.

Take your router out of the picture. Hook up a PC directly to your cable
modem. See if you can access the internet.

Joan Archer

Do you have Zone Alarm as the firewall and did you install the Microsoft
updates this week ?

--
Joan Archer
http://www.freewebs.com/crossstitcher

"MapleE." <someone|@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi:
> Even through there says, ... 'excellent connection' on an icon of tiny
> computer on the right bottom
> of system tray, .... I am NOT able to get 'Internet.' It happens since
> last nite on both Wireless and
> Wired. There are four(4) XP in my household and none is able to access
> 'Internet,' although there
> is all 'excellent' connection with the ISP, Comcast.
>
> My question is;
> Wonder why does it happen? Is there a difference in between Connection
> and Internet?
>
> Thanks for any help on this.

MapleE.

Thanks for the response.

When I started to subscribe, Comcast technician came to my house for all
network, since I have no confidence to do that work, network.

Router and Modem combo. that Comcast tech. told me, then it's only one, not
two, router and modem, ... it's Gateway.

Also, when I un-uplugged and plugged it back, I can get Internet, but that
never occurred before.

Is there any way for me to get Internet?

Thanks,

"John" <a> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "MapleE." <someone|@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> I am NOT able to get 'Internet.' It happens since last nite on both
>> Wireless and Wired.

> This is proof that there is problem with your internet connection (modem
> <--> internet) regardless of connection between PCs and router. Btw, wired
> connection does not give you connection status (poor, good, excellent etc)
> like wireless.
>
>> There are four(4) XP in my household and none is able to access
>> 'Internet,' although there
>> is all 'excellent' connection with the ISP, Comcast.

> What makes you think the connection to the ISP is "excellent"? You said it
> above that all PCs are unable to get to the internet.
>
>> My question is;
>> Wonder why does it happen? Is there a difference in between Connection
>> and Internet?

> Yep. You can have excellent connection between PCs and router (or
> networked PCs in the LAN) but if you unplug your cable modem, you have no
> internet connection.
>
> Take your router out of the picture. Hook up a PC directly to your cable
> modem. See if you can access the internet.

iPC

Just happened to a friend. He got a MS Auto Update yesterday and suddenly,
wifi connection but no surfing. I lowered his ZoneAlarm Internet Zone
setting to Medium and he's running again.

"Joan Archer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Do you have Zone Alarm as the firewall and did you install the Microsoft
> updates this week ?
>
> --
> Joan Archer
> http://www.freewebs.com/crossstitcher
> http://lachsoft.com/photogallery
>
> "MapleE." <someone|@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi:
>> Even through there says, ... 'excellent connection' on an icon of tiny
>> computer on the right bottom
>> of system tray, .... I am NOT able to get 'Internet.' It happens since
>> last nite on both Wireless and
>> Wired. There are four(4) XP in my household and none is able to access
>> 'Internet,' although there
>> is all 'excellent' connection with the ISP, Comcast.
>>
>> My question is;
>> Wonder why does it happen? Is there a difference in between Connection
>> and Internet?
>>
>> Thanks for any help on this.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
If all pcs can not connect to the Internet then I doubt very much that it is
the PC faults.
It would help if you describe your Network devices and general connections.
If you have a router, do your PCs get local IP, and are you capable to log
to the Router's menu system?
http://www.ezlan.net/ip_mac.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"MapleE." <someone|@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi:
> Even through there says, ... 'excellent connection' on an icon of tiny
> computer on the right bottom
> of system tray, .... I am NOT able to get 'Internet.' It happens since
> last nite on both Wireless and
> Wired. There are four(4) XP in my household and none is able to access
> 'Internet,' although there
> is all 'excellent' connection with the ISP, Comcast.
>
> My question is;
> Wonder why does it happen? Is there a difference in between Connection
> and Internet?
>
> Thanks for any help on this.

John

"MapleE." <someone|@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for the response.
>
> Router and Modem combo. that Comcast tech. told me, then it's only one,
> not two, router and modem, ... it's Gateway.

Ok, so it's a modem + router combo (as 1 device). My earlier reply is still
valid. That is, you can have excellent connection to the router but if
there's connection problem to the internet, you don't have internet access.

> Also, when I un-uplugged and plugged it back, I can get Internet, but that
> never occurred before.

That happens every now and then but shouldn't happen too often. Easiest
solution is to unplug the power, wait a few seconds, plug it back in.

> Is there any way for me to get Internet?

You just said "I can get Internet"... so what's the problem?

Barb Bowman

what EXACTLY do you mean by "Internet" vs. Connection. Are you
trying to tell us that you cannot browse the web as opposed to use
other applications?

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless
68.49.239.240" tells me that you are in Maryland and successfully
have a Comcast IP and are using Outlook Express successfully.

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 16:27:09 -0400, "MapleE." <someone|@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Thanks for the response.
>
>When I started to subscribe, Comcast technician came to my house for all
>network, since I have no confidence to do that work, network.
>
>Router and Modem combo. that Comcast tech. told me, then it's only one, not
>two, router and modem, ... it's Gateway.
>
>Also, when I un-uplugged and plugged it back, I can get Internet, but that
>never occurred before.
>
>Is there any way for me to get Internet?
>
>Thanks,
>

>"John" <a> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "MapleE." <someone|@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> I am NOT able to get 'Internet.' It happens since last nite on both
>>> Wireless and Wired.

>> This is proof that there is problem with your internet connection (modem
>> <--> internet) regardless of connection between PCs and router. Btw, wired
>> connection does not give you connection status (poor, good, excellent etc)
>> like wireless.
>>
>>> There are four(4) XP in my household and none is able to access
>>> 'Internet,' although there
>>> is all 'excellent' connection with the ISP, Comcast.

>> What makes you think the connection to the ISP is "excellent"? You said it
>> above that all PCs are unable to get to the internet.
>>
>>> My question is;
>>> Wonder why does it happen? Is there a difference in between Connection
>>> and Internet?

>> Yep. You can have excellent connection between PCs and router (or
>> networked PCs in the LAN) but if you unplug your cable modem, you have no
>> internet connection.
>>
>> Take your router out of the picture. Hook up a PC directly to your cable
>> modem. See if you can access the internet.

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP

MapleE.

Thanks all for the responses and imputs.

In regard to 'connection,' it was in perfect shape, 'excellent' on both
wireless and Lan.
The issue I encountered was 'Internet,' thus NO web-sites showed-up.

I did un-plug and plugged it back in order to get Internet, which I needed
to do more than
five times. Normally, only once I did for getting on Internet. Then, I
felt something was
awfully wrong with. Even, I suspected Comcast was doing 'maintenance' or
some work that
inteferred 'getting Internet.' However, this is my pure-guess.

Luckily, since last-nite, all PCs, four XPs got Internet instantamously upon
clicking 'icon' I.E.

As seeing this, above including this morning typing this response, hopefully
everything is OK, ...
no more losing Internet, since I love Comcast even though there was quite a
hassle for about
18 hours or so, ... un-plug and plugged it back to get Internet more than
five times.

Thanks again,

"MapleE." <someone|@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi:
> Even through there says, ... 'excellent connection' on an icon of tiny
> computer on the right bottom
> of system tray, .... I am NOT able to get 'Internet.' It happens since
> last nite on both Wireless and
> Wired. There are four(4) XP in my household and none is able to access
> 'Internet,' although there
> is all 'excellent' connection with the ISP, Comcast.
>
> My question is;
> Wonder why does it happen? Is there a difference in between Connection
> and Internet?
>
> Thanks for any help on this.

Phillip Windell

"MapleE." <someone|@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Router and Modem combo. that Comcast tech. told me, then it's only one,
> not two, router and modem, ... it's Gateway.

Yes, if this is a business account and uses a "static" IP number then the
customer is "forced" to use the device they call a "Comcast Business
Gateway" that has the Cable Modem and the NAT Firewall ("router") built into
the same device. However Comcast does not build these boxes
themselves,..they are really some model of a SVC box (sorry, can't remember
the exact model number). It has the UI split into two parts,...the part
with the settings the customer can change,...and the part that only Comcast
can get into.

The SVC box has the ability to assign a Public IP# (or a series of them) to
a Device/PC (or series of them) sitting immedately behind the box on the LAN
and the SVC box would be more-or-less transparent.

If the customer does not want a "static IP#" then the customer can use a
variety of simple "modems" with a separate "router" or just a PC plugged
straight into the modem. However Comcast may just still give them the same
SVC box and be done with it since they only have to worry about one
type/brand/model of a hardware device on the end of the line.

I thought this might be helpful to know this.

--
Phillip Windell
www.wandtv.com

Technet Library
ISA2004
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...chNet.10).aspx
ISA2006
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...chNet.10).aspx

Understanding the ISA 2004 Access Rule Processing
http://www.isaserver.org/articles/IS...cessRules.html

Troubleshooting Client Authentication on Access Rules in ISA Server 2004
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...7/ts_rules.doc

Microsoft Internet Security & Acceleration Server: Partners
http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/p...s/default.mspx

Microsoft ISA Server Partners: Partner Hardware Solutions
http://www.microsoft.com/forefront/e...epartners.mspx