Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Ctr x'd and it froze during Ctr V - where are files that were cut butnot pasted?

Ctr x'd and it froze during Ctr V - where are files that were cut butnot pasted?

Boppy

Hi guys, in a bit of a jam - was moving large folder from C drive to D
and the move (paste) process froze on 31 minutes. Crashed that but now
am missing vital data. Where would Vista put items that I can retrieve
them? They are not in Recycle Bin

Mucho thanks to anyone who can help me regain these files.

Enkidu

Ross wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 00:50:50 -0700 (PDT), Boppy
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Hi guys, in a bit of a jam - was moving large folder from C drive to D
>> and the move (paste) process froze on 31 minutes. Crashed that but now
>> am missing vital data. Where would Vista put items that I can retrieve
>> them? They are not in Recycle Bin
>>
>> Mucho thanks to anyone who can help me regain these files.

> AFAIK, move means "copy, then delete after success".
> So the ones that didn't move should still be in the original folder.

Or in the black hole somewhere in between.

Cheers,

Cliff

--

"I LOVE IT!!" - someone on a newsgroup, somewhere.

Alan

"Boppy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi guys, in a bit of a jam - was moving large folder from C drive to
> and the move (paste) process froze on 31 minutes. Crashed that but
> now
> am missing vital data. Where would Vista put items that I can
> retrieve
> them? They are not in Recycle Bin
>
> Mucho thanks to anyone who can help me regain these files.

Hi Boppy,

Have you tried doing a search on one of the filenames across both
disks? Not much of a help, but my only idea.

This is not going to help you with your current problem, but....

Having had this happen to me once, I have now gotten into the habit of
never, ever, moving anything. I always copy then delete. Until your
post I had actually forgotten why I do that, it has just become so
much of a habit that I don't even think about it now.

On that same note and assuming you are using Windows or another OS
with the same functionality, if using a mouse, I also have gotten into
the habit of always using RIGHT click and drag, never ever using LEFT
click and drag. The reason is that left click and drag does a 'move'
if the source and destination are both on the same drive. By always
using right click and drag puts me in control and I explicitly decide
which option I want to take (I can then choose to copy not move).

HTH and Good Luck!

--

Alan.

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

email address.

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

Boppy

Thanks for replying guys.

No, the files are not where they started.

Doing a Google Desktop search show the files in the results but
clicking on that resulting link gives me a "file not found" error.

Matty F

On Jul 10, 8:55 pm, Boppy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Thanks for replying guys.
>
> No, the files are not where they started.
>
> Doing a Google Desktop search show the files in the results but
> clicking on that resulting link gives me a "file not found" error.

I imagine that the missing files are copied OK but the pointers to
them have not been written to the directory. There are a number of
utilities that can retrieve files that have been accidentally
"deleted" (i.e the pointer only is deleted). It's some years since I
needed to retrieve deleted files so there may be improved versions
now. Somebody must know of them.
In the meantime don't do anthing that changes either disk, as that may
overwrite the files that you want.

Boppy

On Jul 10, 9:38 pm, Matty F <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jul 10, 8:55 pm, Boppy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Thanks for replying guys.

> > No, the files are not where they started.

> > Doing a Google Desktop search show the files in the results but
> > clicking on that resulting link gives me a "file not found" error.

> I imagine that the missing files are copied OK but the pointers to
> them have not been written to the directory. There are a number of
> utilities that can retrieve files that have been accidentally
> "deleted" (i.e the pointer only is deleted). It's some years since I
> needed to retrieve deleted files so there may be improved versions
> now. Somebody must know of them.
> In the meantime don't do anthing that changes either disk, as that may
> overwrite the files that you want.

Found the missing files by right-clicking on the folder and then using
Restore Previous Version. Yay!
Thanks everyone.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarweb "Boppy" typed:
> On Jul 10, 9:38 pm, Matty F <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Jul 10, 8:55 pm, Boppy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for replying guys.

>>> No, the files are not where they started.

>>> Doing a Google Desktop search show the files in the results but
>>> clicking on that resulting link gives me a "file not found" error.

>> I imagine that the missing files are copied OK but the pointers to
>> them have not been written to the directory. There are a number of
>> utilities that can retrieve files that have been accidentally
>> "deleted" (i.e the pointer only is deleted). It's some years since I
>> needed to retrieve deleted files so there may be improved versions
>> now. Somebody must know of them.
>> In the meantime don't do anthing that changes either disk, as that
>> may overwrite the files that you want.

> Found the missing files by right-clicking on the folder and then using
> Restore Previous Version. Yay!
> Thanks everyone.

Cool. I didn't know there was such an option. Maybe it's a Vista thing?

I'm pleased you got your files back.
--
Shaun.

me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate...

bugalugs

~misfit~ wrote:
> Somewhere on teh intarweb "Boppy" typed:

>>> I imagine that the missing files are copied OK but the pointers to
>>> them have not been written to the directory. There are a number of
>>> utilities that can retrieve files that have been accidentally
>>> "deleted" (i.e the pointer only is deleted). It's some years since I
>>> needed to retrieve deleted files so there may be improved versions
>>> now. Somebody must know of them.

X Tree Gold ??
(where did it go ??)

>>> In the meantime don't do anthing that changes either disk, as that
>>> may overwrite the files that you want.

>> Found the missing files by right-clicking on the folder and then using
>> Restore Previous Version. Yay!
>> Thanks everyone.

> Cool. I didn't know there was such an option. Maybe it's a Vista thing?
>
> I'm pleased you got your files back.

Grant

Look for ZTree in Google

"bugalugs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:g562lv$2c2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Somewhere on teh intarweb "Boppy" typed:

> X Tree Gold ??
> (where did it go ??)

bugalugs

Grant wrote:

> "bugalugs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:g562lv$2c2$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> ~misfit~ wrote:
>>> Somewhere on teh intarweb "Boppy" typed:

>> X Tree Gold ??
>> (where did it go ??)

> Look for ZTree in Google

Thanks for that. Thought it had disappeared where realy good, but old,
software goes to die.