Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: "Who are Xnet?" Asks guy on the phone from Slingshot LOL

Re: "Who are Xnet?" Asks guy on the phone from Slingshot LOL

Enkidu

E. Scrooge wrote:

> Talk about a laugh after the news server problem which I didn't bother
> grizzling to Slingshot about since my solution is to eventually leave
> Slingshot probably going to Xnet.

This wasn't one of the standard cold calls was it? I usually let them
rabbit on to the point where they want to transfer me to someone to take
my details then I tell them that I already have an ISP/tolls provider.
Wastes a couple of minutes of their time and stops them calling someone
else. Very public spirited, me!

Cheers,

Cliff

'hilarious', it usually isn't?

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Somewhere on teh intarweb "Enkidu" typed:
>> E. Scrooge wrote:
>>>
>>> Talk about a laugh after the news server problem which I didn't
>>> bother grizzling to Slingshot about since my solution is to
>>> eventually leave Slingshot probably going to Xnet.
>>>

>> This wasn't one of the standard cold calls was it? I usually let them
>> rabbit on to the point where they want to transfer me to someone to
>> take my details then I tell them that I already have an ISP/tolls
>> provider. Wastes a couple of minutes of their time and stops them
>> calling someone else. Very public spirited, me!

>Indeed, thanks for that. <g>
>
>I used to sat that, no, now wasn't convenient but, if they give me *their*
>home number I'll ring back when it *is* convenient. Thick shits, half of
>them didn't get it.
>
>Now I just say "You've got 10 seconds to tell me what this is about and I'll
>decide from there if I want to hear more."
>
>I've always had an unlisted number, ever since I was a kid in my first flat.
>Couple years ago I was talked into listing it, you know, old school friends
>etc. might be trying to track me down... Previous to that (and now again)
>I'd get maybe one telemarketer every six months, in the month following
>listing I got four or five. When I rang Telecom to get my number unlisted
>again they assured me that the calls had nothing to do with being listed.
>Yeah, right! I believe in the tooth fairy as well as coincidences.

In this case, I believe telecon.

Many telespammers just ring a sequence of numbers. Listed or not, you won't
escape that.
Also IIRC (and this was a year or 3 ago now) telescum told me they sell
lists of connected numbers to telespammers. I have no reason to think they
don't still do this. Yes, their terms of "service" say they can (short
translateion, we guarantee to provide nothing; you guarantee to provide
money). When I complained, they offered to disconnect me
Again, listed or unlisted would make no difference.

A_ L _P

E. Scrooge wrote:

> "Enkidu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> E. Scrooge wrote:
>> >
>>> Talk about a laugh after the news server problem which I didn't
>>> bother grizzling to Slingshot about since my solution is to
>>> eventually leave Slingshot probably going to Xnet.

I've been very pleased with xnet. I like their pricing, the way you can
go to their site and choose how much you want to spend per month as an
alternative to having a plan for a certain fixed number of Gigabytes.
Unlike others, if you go over your limit they don't immediately dump
another gig's worth of charge onto your account even if you only
downloaded one extra email over your limit. They throttle you back to
dial-in (actually a bit faster than what I was getting before on
dial-up) OR you can alter your plan at any time, for this month or for
the foreseeable future depending on your changing needs and use of the
internet connection. To me that's very fair. Good service, no traps
from what I've experienced nd from the recommendations I got before I
switched ISPs (again). I started with xtra, then paradise, ihug and now
xnet. Don't see the point in hanging on if the service deteriorates.
When it comes to big businesses loyalty is a seven-letter word with two
y's, that's all.

A L P

~misfit~

--
Shaun.

me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate...

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarweb "Bruce Sinclair" typed:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Somewhere on teh intarweb "Enkidu" typed:

>>> This wasn't one of the standard cold calls was it? I usually let
>>> them rabbit on to the point where they want to transfer me to
>>> someone to take my details then I tell them that I already have an
>>> ISP/tolls provider. Wastes a couple of minutes of their time and
>>> stops them calling someone else. Very public spirited, me!

>> Indeed, thanks for that. <g>
>>
>> I used to sat that, no, now wasn't convenient but, if they give me
>> *their* home number I'll ring back when it *is* convenient. Thick
>> shits, half of them didn't get it.
>>
>> Now I just say "You've got 10 seconds to tell me what this is about
>> and I'll decide from there if I want to hear more."
>>
>> I've always had an unlisted number, ever since I was a kid in my
>> first flat. Couple years ago I was talked into listing it, you know,
>> old school friends etc. might be trying to track me down... Previous
>> to that (and now again) I'd get maybe one telemarketer every six
>> months, in the month following listing I got four or five. When I
>> rang Telecom to get my number unlisted again they assured me that
>> the calls had nothing to do with being listed. Yeah, right! I
>> believe in the tooth fairy as well as coincidences.

> In this case, I believe telecon.
>
> Many telespammers just ring a sequence of numbers. Listed or not, you
> won't
> escape that.
> Also IIRC (and this was a year or 3 ago now) telescum told me they
> sell
> lists of connected numbers to telespammers. I have no reason to think
> they
> don't still do this. Yes, their terms of "service" say they can (short
> translateion, we guarantee to provide nothing; you guarantee to
> provide
> money). When I complained, they offered to disconnect me
> Again, listed or unlisted would make no difference.

Should have mentioned, I have my phone as non-listed *and* confidential.
(Shows as "unknown caller" on caller ID.)

Perhaps that's the difference?

Coincidences? Pffft! The telemarketing calls stopped again after I
unlisted/went confidential again. That's two coincidences. Nah.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate...

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarweb "Barry Lennox" typed:
> On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 11:48:21 +1200, "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>> I used to sat that, no, now wasn't convenient but, if they give me
>> *their* home number I'll ring back when it *is* convenient. Thick
>> shits, half of them didn't get it.

> Yes, I tried that for a while but they just hung on too long, trying
> to think up a response.
>

>> Now I just say "You've got 10 seconds to tell me what this is about
>> and I'll decide from there if I want to hear more."

> I now usually (depending on what I feel like):-
>
> say " I have to put you on hold" put the phone down (not on-hook) and
> walk away for some minutes. I even used to have a radio next to the
> phone, so they could get some "Muzak"
>
> Ask dumber and dumber questions till they get it. ie; This might
> terminate in me asking "What's this newspaper thing you talk of?"
>
> Demand their credit card number NOW, as I charge $5 per minute.

LOL, yeah, I've tried that one too. Used to visit a mate who often got these
types of calls for some reason. If I was there he'd pass the phone to me...
Same with if bible-bangers visited. I'd get rid of them within 3 minutes
without being offensive, usually with them leaving happier. (I'd just tell
them they do great work but it isn't needed here, thankyouverymuch. Unlike
my current neighbour who tells them that they'd be better talking to *me*.
I found out when two lots in a row said she'd sent them over! When I hit her
up she laughed and said she'd had trouble getting rid of them inthe past but
noticed I didn't...)

>> listing I got four or five. When I rang Telecom to get my number
>> unlisted again they assured me that the calls had nothing to do with
>> being listed. Yeah, right! I believe in the tooth fairy as well as
>> coincidences.

> They are probably right, I used to have 2 numbers, one for a phone and
> one for a dedicated fax and modem use, One ended in 5520, the other in
> 5522. The second line would always ring a minute or two after the
> first with the same dickhead on it. They just call whole blocks of
> numbers.

Perhaps that happens more in bigger areas? As I just mentioned to Bruce, the
telemarketer calls stopped again after I went unlisted/confidential again.
That would be two coincidences. (I'm not making this up.)

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate...

Richard

Bruce Sinclair wrote:
> Many telespammers just ring a sequence of numbers. Listed or not, you won't
> escape that.
> Also IIRC (and this was a year or 3 ago now) telescum told me they sell
> lists of connected numbers to telespammers. I have no reason to think they
> don't still do this. Yes, their terms of "service" say they can (short
> translateion, we guarantee to provide nothing; you guarantee to provide
> money). When I complained, they offered to disconnect me
> Again, listed or unlisted would make no difference.

Lots use the phonebooks, since they can comply with the requirements to
remove you from their database by crossing it out. Then they get a new
database for the next run of phone spamming...

Jekyll and Hyde

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Somewhere on teh intarweb "Barry Lennox" typed:
>> On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 11:48:21 +1200, "~misfit~"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>> I used to sat that, no, now wasn't convenient but, if they give me
>>> *their* home number I'll ring back when it *is* convenient. Thick
>>> shits, half of them didn't get it.

>> Yes, I tried that for a while but they just hung on too long, trying
>> to think up a response.
>>

>>> Now I just say "You've got 10 seconds to tell me what this is about
>>> and I'll decide from there if I want to hear more."

>> I now usually (depending on what I feel like):-
>>
>> say " I have to put you on hold" put the phone down (not on-hook) and
>> walk away for some minutes. I even used to have a radio next to the
>> phone, so they could get some "Muzak"
>>
>> Ask dumber and dumber questions till they get it. ie; This might
>> terminate in me asking "What's this newspaper thing you talk of?"
>>
>> Demand their credit card number NOW, as I charge $5 per minute.

> LOL, yeah, I've tried that one too. Used to visit a mate who often got
> these types of calls for some reason. If I was there he'd pass the phone
> to me... Same with if bible-bangers visited. I'd get rid of them within 3
> minutes without being offensive, usually with them leaving happier. (I'd
> just tell them they do great work but it isn't needed here,
> thankyouverymuch. Unlike my current neighbour who tells them that they'd
> be better talking to *me*. I found out when two lots in a row said she'd
> sent them over! When I hit her up she laughed and said she'd had trouble
> getting rid of them inthe past but noticed I didn't...)
>
>>> listing I got four or five. When I rang Telecom to get my number
>>> unlisted again they assured me that the calls had nothing to do with
>>> being listed. Yeah, right! I believe in the tooth fairy as well as
>>> coincidences.

>> They are probably right, I used to have 2 numbers, one for a phone and
>> one for a dedicated fax and modem use, One ended in 5520, the other in
>> 5522. The second line would always ring a minute or two after the
>> first with the same dickhead on it. They just call whole blocks of
>> numbers.

> Perhaps that happens more in bigger areas? As I just mentioned to Bruce,
> the telemarketer calls stopped again after I went unlisted/confidential
> again. That would be two coincidences. (I'm not making this up.)
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Shaun.
>
> DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me
> offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
> If you don't know how to ignore a posting, complain to
> me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate...

Lol.

My favourite: "... go-ing in-o a tunnel you're bre-a-king up", then just
hang up.
When they double check they actually called a land line they get the
message, well and good, they NEVER call back.

J&H.

Enkidu

~misfit~ wrote:
> Somewhere on teh intarweb "Enkidu" typed:
>> E. Scrooge wrote:
>>> Talk about a laugh after the news server problem which I didn't
>>> bother grizzling to Slingshot about since my solution is to
>>> eventually leave Slingshot probably going to Xnet.
>>>

>> This wasn't one of the standard cold calls was it? I usually let them
>> rabbit on to the point where they want to transfer me to someone to
>> take my details then I tell them that I already have an ISP/tolls
>> provider. Wastes a couple of minutes of their time and stops them
>> calling someone else. Very public spirited, me!

> Indeed, thanks for that. <g>
>
> I used to sat that, no, now wasn't convenient but, if they give me *their*
> home number I'll ring back when it *is* convenient. Thick shits, half of
> them didn't get it.
>
> Now I just say "You've got 10 seconds to tell me what this is about and I'll
> decide from there if I want to hear more."
>
> I've always had an unlisted number, ever since I was a kid in my first flat.
> Couple years ago I was talked into listing it, you know, old school friends
> etc. might be trying to track me down... Previous to that (and now again)
> I'd get maybe one telemarketer every six months, in the month following
> listing I got four or five. When I rang Telecom to get my number unlisted
> again they assured me that the calls had nothing to do with being listed.
> Yeah, right! I believe in the tooth fairy as well as coincidences.

Once or twice in six months is about what we get on our listed phone.

Cheers,

Cliff

--

"I LOVE IT!!" - someone on a newsgroup, somewhere.

EMB

~misfit~ wrote:>
> Now I just say "You've got 10 seconds to tell me what this is about and I'll
> decide from there if I want to hear more."

Some market research fscker from HP Oz phoned me today "to check my
satisfaction with my recent support experience with HP".[1] He promised
"less than 60 seconds" when I explained I was busy. The moment my
answers were "disatisfied" he tried to turn it into a 30 minute
interview as to why I was unhappy. I cut things short after a couple of
minutes (telling him to get management to call me) so i could go and
tell the waiting Canon rep to "Go away, my printers are all under
contract and you can't help me". I await another call from HP with
interest - I'll be looking for compensation for my time they have wasted.

[1] HP dropped the ball rather badly from the moment my call to their
0800 number was answered by some monkey in Hydrabad (ask Sarns about my
first utterances after the call was answered). Things got *way* worse
from there. Firstly, despite undertakings from the Indian simian that
the laptop was going to be collected by a tech, I was phoned by the
local repair centre and told I had to package it ready for courier
collection. Be fscked I was going to, knowing how badly couriers treat
parcels I delivered the laptop to HP's service centre myself. The
laptop in question was returned several days later with the original
problem still there, and a brief note questioning my troubleshooting
abilities. It turns out monkey-man had interpreted "Ethernet port U/S"
as "WIFI not working". 5 hours of my life was then spent finding anyone
at HP or their service centre who would admit the problem was real
without requiring me to do a "reformat and reinstall to factory
defaults" which didn't impress me much. A senior manager finally (after
my calling HP NZ, HP's NZ service agents and HP Asia Pacific management
in the US) took ownership of the problem, beat the tech-apes into
fitting a new motherboard and got one of said apes to personally deliver
the machine back to me and stand over me whilst I confirmed the issue
was resolved.